By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games you reckon are better than the genres market leader.

Within a series I have a few unpopular opinions:

Doom 2016 is better than eternal

Dark souls 3 is better than elden

Uncharted 2 is better than uncharted 4

RE8 is better than RE4

Breath is better than tears

Galaxy is better than Odyssey

Prime 3 is better than prime 2

Gow 1 is better than gow 2

FFT is the best final fantasy game

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Leynos said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Good list, I particularly agree with Nex Machina, amazing game and I'm playing Prodeus now, you might be onto something. Can you explain AC Oddessy over RDR though? You're choosing the openworld category I assume. How is AC Oddessy better?

I hate to praise Ubisoft because they generally suck ass but as AAA Western open-world games go it was decent not a tedious boring chore like RDR. Easier to explore and verticality. Not to mention Ancient Greece is far more interesting. Seeing the Parthenon like that is a lifelong dream same with the Temple of Zeus. Shame Colossus of Rhodes wasn't there (historical version) Aside from technical feats I don't think highly of R* game mechanics and world designs. It still feels pS2 era and while Odyssey is no different in this regard. It's Ubisoft where R* people wank over them being best at open worlds when you still have to do missions how the game wants you. It's a dated way of doing it.  I mean I could have said BoTW as well but that would be a hydrogen bomb vs a coughing baby (the latter being R* open-world design) so I picked something more comparable in quality and old approach to the genre.

Fair enough. R* mission design is outdated as fuck, failure states should be left in the past but man, Oddessy once I got the ship, I was already bored. 

Chrkeller said:

Within a series I have a few unpopular opinions:

Doom 2016 is better than eternal

Dark souls 3 is better than elden

Uncharted 2 is better than uncharted 4

RE8 is better than RE4

Breath is better than tears

Galaxy is better than Odyssey

Prime 3 is better than prime 2

Gow 1 is better than gow 2

FFT is the best final fantasy game

I agree with Doom and GoW. The rest, yes that's unpopular indeed although I do belive Uncharted 2 is considered the best one by many.

PoE > Diablo and it's not even close. Rest of the list I mostly agree

LegitHyperbole said:

Astro bot rescue mission PSVR beats Mario

Are you referring to VR platformers with this statement? Astro Bot is not the market leader with respect to platformers lol, Mario is and has always objectively been the leader, though you could make the argument in VR (given that Mario has no VR title).

Around the Network
firebush03 said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Astro bot rescue mission PSVR beats Mario

Are you referring to VR platformers with this statement? Astro Bot is not the market leader with respect to platformers lol, Mario is and has always objectively been the leader, though you could make the argument in VR (given that Mario has no VR title).

Mario is the market leader, I'm saying personally I think Astro Bot rescue mission beats Mario as a platformer. I'm not counting VR title genres as separate genres but an even playing feild with flat screen games. For example Dirt on that list is because of VR functionality as well as Blood and Truth being my favourite FPS single player campaign.

Edit: And now that I realize Resident Evil actually does beat The last of US because of RE7 in VR. 

LegitHyperbole said:

Diablo 4 beats all other hack N' slash CRPGs

Your list is great until here.  Path of Exile is 10 years old and clears Diablo 4.  

I don't know if I noticed any Metroidvanias on the list... is there a clear frontrunner for that genre?  Metroid Dread, Blasphemous and distant third Hollow Knight stand at the top here.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Bloodborne > Dark souls and Elden Ring - and generally speaking all soulsbornes as far as im concerned. 

Guilty Gear > SF and MK

Hollow Knight > Metroid Dread and/or SOTN, im unsure which would be the market leader of Metroidvanias... maybe even Hollow Knight is it. 

FF6 > FF12 > FF7 and FF10

Unicorn Overlord beats Fire Emblem for me, and its not even close

Last edited by Jpcc86 - on 04 September 2024

LegitHyperbole said:
firebush03 said:

Mario is the market leader, I'm saying personally I think Astro Bot rescue mission beats Mario as a platformer. I'm not counting VR title genres as separate genres but an even playing feild with flat screen games. For example Dirt on that list is because of VR functionality as well as Blood and Truth being my favourite FPS single player campaign.

Edit: And now that I realize Resident Evil actually does beat The last of US because of RE7 in VR. 

I see... That makes more sense lol.

LegitHyperbole said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I prefer Dragon Quest Builders to Minecraft, but I can understand why people like Minecraft.

Oh, what is this, snspired by Minecraft or is it one of those story games with Minecraft features like the wizard building Minecraft like?

Dragon Quest Builders has Minecraft game mechanics, but it's set in the DQ world.  Also the game gives you objectives, but you can also kind of do what you want like Minecraft.