By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Side scrolling melee combat sucks! What is a good example?

I...

Love 2D sidescrollibg combat 17 70.83%

Hate 2D Sidescrolling combat 1 4.17%

Mixed on Side scrolling combat 4 16.67%

It's servicable to enjoy ... 1 4.17%

I don't play 2d games. 1 4.17%

Total:24
LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

Ori also have some great boss fights, as a result of the unique abilities. I quite like 2D fighting. I still think Raven Beak is one of the best boss fights in the history of gaming. Better get your skills ready, he is no joke.

Yeah, Ori is one other example where it's done right, It feel uniquely good and Dead cells gets it down cause it's not so basic. Just seems every 2d game I pull out now is weak and feels really basic. Perhaps my opinion is 2d sidescrolling can feel really weak and basic if not done correctly. 

I tend to agree with you and get your point.  2D needs a wide variety of abilities to make the boss fights interesting.  And it isn't easy either, amazing game.  

Have you played Dread?  Easily, at least IMO, the best 2D action game created.  The game is damn near flawless.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

Metroid Dread disagree.

This is specifically a melee combat issue I'm finding. 

Jpcc86 said:

One of the worst takes ive seen in this site by far.

Point me to one that's really good but underrated. 

I dunno, Guacamelee was pretty neat.

My favorites are Astro Boy and the Omega Factor, Viewtiful Joe, and Dead Cell. All of which I think are excellent games.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Yeah, Ori is one other example where it's done right, It feel uniquely good and Dead cells gets it down cause it's not so basic. Just seems every 2d game I pull out now is weak and feels really basic. Perhaps my opinion is 2d sidescrolling can feel really weak and basic if not done correctly. 

I tend to agree with you and get your point.  2D needs a wide variety of abilities to make the boss fights interesting.  And it isn't easy either, amazing game.  

Have you played Dread?  Easily, at least IMO, the best 2D action game created.  The game is damn near flawless.  

I thought about dread but it's never on sale, looks fun. It's not shooting combat anyway, I'm solely complaining about the melee combat in the games I'm trying, Fury unleashed is one I had a bit of time with and that's a fun shmup. 

Salnax said:

I dunno, Guacamelee was pretty neat.

Perhaps it's just the games I'm trying, people above left really good examples. 

LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

I thought about dread but it's never on sale, looks fun. It's not shooting combat anyway, I'm solely complaining about the melee combat in the games I'm trying, Fury unleashed is one I had a bit of time with and that's a fun shmup. 

Fair enough.  Dread is mostly shooting but does have an excellent close combat parry system.  I suspect you would love Dread.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Fair enough.  Dread is mostly shooting but does have an excellent close combat parry system.  I suspect you would love Dread.

It's on my wishlist list. Nintendo are notoriously bad with sales, can't bring myself to pay full price for games on Switch, I got burned by too many already that I didn't gel with. 

Hollow Knight, Metroid anything, Castlevania, Streets of Rage Series, Turtles in Time, Shredders Revenge, Viewtiful Joe, Muramasa, River City Ransom, Ninja Gaiden Series, Dusk, Goemon, etc.