By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 9th Generations games are starting to look too sharpened graphically.

I....

Like the sharpened look 5 25.00%

Hate the sharpened look 7 35.00%

I'd get used to it, it's okay. 2 10.00%

I can't see what you're talking about. 6 30.00%

Total:20

Bro sharpness is not the problem, the lack of sharpness in a dense environmentnis what you are describing

Around the Network
Lukas85 said:

Bro sharpness is not the problem, the lack of sharpness in a dense environmentnis what you are describing

I dunno what it is to be honest, it looks like someone turned up the sharpness on the TV and is sickening to look at. Clar obscur isn't too bad, I'm not sure why I picked that as an example but my god Monster Hunter goes from looking clean to sickening in places. The monsters look great, everything around them looks a mess, as soon as you focus on anything in the environment the brain goes nope, somethings wrong with this picture right here, somethings off, alert, alert. Vomit inducing visuals. 

LegitHyperbole said:
Leynos said:

Not something I notice but I desperately want Chromatic Aberration to go away forever. It pisses me off as much as Bloom Lighting. It makes my eyes hurt. I guess it depends on the game looking too clean. Racing sim. Clarity is probably the best. Gears of War? Not so much. Cyberpunk setting again not so much. Basic examples. Armored Core can work from a grimy look. Daemon X Machina I like to be crisp with a sharp contrast of colors. Same with Bomb Rush Cyberfunk. GTA should probably have some blur in far away objects. Something like Break Arts II has a semi Tron look it. So since everything is highlighted by neon lines. I want to see those as far as possible since everything else is black.

I forgot about bloom lightning lol. You'd have thought that went away but it evolved into HDR, I purposely blind myself now with HDR lighting effects. 

We need a whole thread on graphics trends that were meant to be cutting-edge but in hindsight are awful.

Cerebralbore101 said:
LegitHyperbole said:

I forgot about bloom lightning lol. You'd have thought that went away but it evolved into HDR, I purposely blind myself now with HDR lighting effects. 

We need a whole thread on graphics trends that were meant to be cutting-edge but in hindsight are awful.

I can't think of many, I doubt devs are sitting aroubd going, you know what we need more of, artificating from upscaling. It's a cool effect. Not sure what the deal with bloom was, seems like a tech issue cause it's not exactly hiding anything if that was the intent. I can only think of one, a short lived trend where there'd be a fake lens effect that cross the scene, Kojima particularly went nuts with it and added a little sound effect to the audio to go along side it. Weird trend, never looked as cool as they thought it did. They made good use of it in DMC5 though to hide some titties for the playstation version so it has functional uses. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Outside of Chromatic Aberration and Bloom Lighting (latter is dead thankfully) what else is there?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Outside of Chromatic Aberration and Bloom Lighting (latter is dead thankfully) what else is there?

Not much that's bad. I mean you got some iffy stuff during the early 3d era but mainly stuff that has has aged well as a visual style. Hell even ps1 graphics is seen as a visual style now in some modern retro FPS's. 

Leynos said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Motion blur

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Leynos said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Dirty lens effect, lens flares, lens distortion, vignette, film grain, camera shake, exaggerated motion blur, exaggerated DOF effects, exaggerated contrast with black crush, fake HDR, sharpening filters as in the OP.

SvennoJ said:
Leynos said:

Dirty lens effect, lens flares, lens distortion, vignette, film grain, camera shake, exaggerated motion blur, exaggerated DOF effects, exaggerated contrast with black crush, fake HDR, sharpening filters as in the OP.

Smoothing filters in old sprite-based games esp when you can't turn it off....Grandia.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Film grain. - Just muddies the image.
Lens flare. - Unrealistic and often intrusive.
Ambient occlusion. - Gives assets a floaty look.
Motion Blur. - Exception is quality per-object motion blur done tastefully.
Morphological Anti-Aliasing. - Pixel shader based that blurs the edges of polygons. It's shit.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--