By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch 2 finally be powerful enough and popular enough to get Nintendo all the top games?

HoloDust said:

Games that I see actually having difficulty to be ported are one's that have only RT solutions - there is no option to turn RT off and use prebaked lighting, just to lower RT. Star Wars Outlaws is one such example, but that one fairly runs well even on weaker hardware with upscaling and frame generation.
There might be games in few years that are made with heavy RT requirements that will give SW2 porting teams a headache or two.

Actually the Switch 2 probably will have an advantage in these titles. For at least one and maybe two reasons. 

1. Ampere is a (GPU) generation ahead of RDNA2 when it comes to hardware-dedicated ray-tracing. The PS5 and Series X perform like a desktop RTX 3050 when doing ray-tracing heavy workloads even though they are more comparable to RTX 3060's when it comes to rasterized loads. 

2. The Switch 2, depending on which rumor is correct, might have more available memory capacity than the Series S, and RT loads can be memory hogs. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see more RT support for SW2 than the Series S. As long as the Series S is the baseline for development, the SW2 probably should be fine in that arena. 

Last edited by sc94597 - on 09 September 2024

Around the Network
Goomba said:

"Will the Switch 2 finally be powerful enough and popular enough to get Nintendo all the top games?" only for a few first years, then its again Switch 1(like last three Nintendo consoles) once again.

Switch 1's support wasn't at all like Wii or Wii U, it got far more ports of major games than either of them. 

Radek said:
Goomba said:

"Will the Switch 2 finally be powerful enough and popular enough to get Nintendo all the top games?" only for a few first years, then its again Switch 1(like last three Nintendo consoles) once again.

I think it could still run all 2024 PS5/XSX games, just need a good porting team and a willing publisher.

I mean it's quite obvious to me why Nintendo acquired the porting studio who did the Hogwarts Legacy port, Shiver Entertainment.

It'll definitely ease the burden for some 3rd party publishers porting jobs if it's done by a Nintendo owned partner.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

sc94597 said:
HoloDust said:

Games that I see actually having difficulty to be ported are one's that have only RT solutions - there is no option to turn RT off and use prebaked lighting, just to lower RT. Star Wars Outlaws is one such example, but that one fairly runs well even on weaker hardware with upscaling and frame generation.
There might be games in few years that are made with heavy RT requirements that will give SW2 porting teams a headache or two.

Actually the Switch 2 probably will have an advantage in these titles. For at least one and maybe two reasons. 

1. Ampere is a (GPU) generation ahead of RDNA2 when it comes to hardware-dedicated ray-tracing. The PS5 and Series X perform like a desktop RTX 3050 when doing ray-tracing heavy workloads even though they are more comparable to RTX 3060's when it comes to rasterized loads. 

2. The Switch 2, depending on which rumor is correct, might have more available memory capacity than the Series S, and RT loads can be memory hogs. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see more RT support for SW2 than the Series S. As long as the Series S is the baseline for development, the SW2 probably should be fine in that arena. 

From what I've seen (in comparable PC tests) I'd say that PS5/XSX easily beat 3060 by quite a large margin when it comes to rasterized, and are about the same performance when it comes to RT (even winning in some cases), at least when it comes to lighter RT loads (though in Hogwarts, even on RT Ultra they are neck and neck). If you go really RT heavy (like in C2077), then yeah, 3060 kicks the living shit out of them, but at that point, they are all so low in fps that they are practically unplayable.

But good point on Series S - as long as developers are obliged to make that version, SW2 will have no problem whatsoever.

Mar1217 said:
Radek said:

I think it could still run all 2024 PS5/XSX games, just need a good porting team and a willing publisher.

I mean it's quite obvious to me why Nintendo acquired the porting studio who did the Hogwarts Legacy port, Shiver Entertainment.

It'll definitely ease the burden for some 3rd party publishers porting jobs if it's done by a Nintendo owned partner.

I hope they port all RE Engine games for example.

Around the Network
Radek said:
Mar1217 said:

I hope they port all RE Engine games for example.

RE7, Village, and the RE2/3/4 Remakes are almost certainly happening early in Switch 2's life along with MH World, much like how Switch got RE4/5/6, Revelations 1/2, Dragon's Dogma, etc.

There's gonna be a tsunami of PS4/XBO ports from pretty much every major publisher, looking to make a quick buck.

RE is on the iPhone. S2 ports is absolutely happening. And they should run incredibly well on the S2.

Edit

Might an unpopular opinion...  RE8 is the best in the series.  Better than 4.  Anybody who hasn't played it should.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 10 September 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED