By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Nintendo ever make a traditional console again?

Chrkeller said:

No. Hybrid/portables (whatever you want to call them) have plenty of fidelity for the average gamer. Nobody is going to complain about a switch 2 that is ps4 to ps4 pro like. If anything, I could see the competition following Nintendo.

Most gamers do not care about having better reflections or shadows, especially given the steep price.

This. I could see PS7 or 8 being hybrid running at PS5's power

Around the Network

I hope not.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Pinkie_pie said:
Chrkeller said:

No. Hybrid/portables (whatever you want to call them) have plenty of fidelity for the average gamer. Nobody is going to complain about a switch 2 that is ps4 to ps4 pro like. If anything, I could see the competition following Nintendo.

Most gamers do not care about having better reflections or shadows, especially given the steep price.

Especially with AI technologies evolving.  Frame Gen is taking FF16 on PC from 60 fps to 100 fps.  AI will reduce the need for super high end.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

I would not mind a variant of Switch 2 like PSVita TV that only hooks up to a TV. Just so I don't have to worry about a battery no longer holding a charge and can't power the device on.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I don't think they will.

Nintendo made the perfect balance between handheld and home console, with the right amount of power at the right price that satisfies all consumers.

They saw the massive success and impact that the hybrid feature made, that if they went back to making stand alone systems, they would surely get a lot of backlash. Don't take away a feature that millions have come to love, only until you see it becoming irrelevant.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:

Honestly why not? they make  a pro model thats console only it would be a cool thing for them to do and provide options just like they have a model that's handheld only. it just seems like they are so against people having better options for better hardware.

That would be fine if Nintendo sees the demand.

I just don't want them making another home console with its own library again (NES through Wii U). I don't want to buy two platforms a generation to play Nintendo games. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Chrkeller said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Especially with AI technologies evolving.  Frame Gen is taking FF16 on PC from 60 fps to 100 fps.  AI will reduce the need for super high end.  

Far from it.

DLSS and frame generation really haven't done anything to the high-end, if anything it's enabled people to hit 4k with high refresh rates more consistently with a high-end GPU.
It hasn't made the high-end become super high-end, software just gets more demanding.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

There's no going back to having separate hardware lines now; even during the Wii U/3DS days it proved impossible to give strong support to both, it'd be worse today now that the power level has increased.

A TV only SKU of Switch/Switch 2 could work, and I personally would buy such a device, but Nintendo may have done market research into this already and found there wasn't enough demand.

Wman1996 said:
zeldaring said:

Honestly why not? they make  a pro model thats console only it would be a cool thing for them to do and provide options just like they have a model that's handheld only. it just seems like they are so against people having better options for better hardware.

That would be fine if Nintendo sees the demand.

I just don't want them making another home console with its own library again (NES through Wii U). I don't want to buy two platforms a generation to play Nintendo games. 

Yeah having to buy 2 systems just to play their games was a hassle I don't miss.

spurgeonryan said:

I mean, maybe the last 5 years, but as of the Wii U, Nintendo was still in the Home console business.  Sure departments change, programs, policies, etc. But that does not mean they will never change back.

Will have to see how the switch 2 does. SNES or NES 2, Wii U, etc have all struggled in the past. Hopefully they Garner the same excitement this next time as well.

The problem with this line of thinking is that it assumes Nintendo made the decision to abandon separate hardware lines when it was actually forced upon them.

In the 90s/00s it was possible for Nintendo to support separate hardware lines but as technology advanced and development time & costs increased, this became far too difficult.

Their handheld line was never cutting edge and Wii not being a big visual upgrade over GC prolonged the inevitable but the 3DS/Wii U era saw their handheld line make the jump from 2D to 3D and their console line jump from SD to HD and they were clearly struggling to get a steady flow of games out.

The hybrid strategy allowed them to consolidate their hardware teams, software teams & audience into a single ecosystem and they can’t go back.

With that said, I wouldn’t rule out the idea of a wider variety of different form factors going forward with one of those being a small, cheap TV only version with the same hardware/software.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Hybrid + portable only + docked only. Irrelevant. The hardware that powers the games will from here on out be the same. The manner of video display or output may have optional models, but they will not separate into distinguishably separate and independent hardware lines again. Nor do I expect them to roll out Pro type models.

Nintendo hardware and software teams do not want this, 3rd parties do not want this, distributors do not want this. I don't even think physical retailers want this.

To the privileged, equality feels like oppression.