By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The most difficult genre to master the skill of.

Most difficult to master...

Rythym games 4 12.50%

FPS shooters 2 6.25%

Bullet Hell 7 21.88%

Soulsborne/action 2 6.25%

Racing sim 2 6.25%

Platformers 1 3.13%

Fighting games 6 18.75%

RTS games 8 25.00%

Total:32
LegitHyperbole said:
Mar1217 said:

Adventure/VN/Deduction games are the best at racking up racking up your brain in the most literal sense.

I mean, apparently, gamers do hate to read 🤭

But joking aside,
To me rhythm games are quite the most challenging kind of games based on pire skill and twitch reaction I could think of

Hehe. Good point though, I forgot about puzzle games. Tunic and the witness had people sketching stuff on physical paper like they were goingbthrough a manic episode and were seeing reality for what it really is. I don't know of you'd call it a skill ceiling but there's a summit to that kind of gameplay many people won't be able to climb to. Alas, it's only the singular games you'd be getting good at, I doubt skill from the witness is going to help you at all in tunic and vice versa aside from perhaps making you a little sharper minded. 

Eh what we did in the 80s for RPGs is bring out a sheet of paper and map games. from Zelda to other games with big worlds or FP dungeons like Phantasy Star. Miracle Warriors on the SEGA Master System as it came with a map and not a modern day CE for fun map. A grid map to mark where you are in the game.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Hehe. Good point though, I forgot about puzzle games. Tunic and the witness had people sketching stuff on physical paper like they were goingbthrough a manic episode and were seeing reality for what it really is. I don't know of you'd call it a skill ceiling but there's a summit to that kind of gameplay many people won't be able to climb to. Alas, it's only the singular games you'd be getting good at, I doubt skill from the witness is going to help you at all in tunic and vice versa aside from perhaps making you a little sharper minded. 

Eh what we did in the 80s for RPGs is bring out a sheet of paper and map games. from Zelda to other games with big worlds or FP dungeons like Phantasy Star. Miracle Warriors on the SEGA Master System as it came with a map and not a modern day CE for fun map. A grid map to mark where you are in the game.

Yeah, I've seen before. That's pretty crazy to think that was just a few years apart from ps1 games with detailed maps and 3d graphics. 

For me Fighting games or Bullet Hell games.

For a lot of people RTS or Grand Strategy.

For the above, reflexes and muscle memory can get you through a lot.

For RTS and Grand Strategy, often you need good decision making, but muscle memory can also help.

RTS, most of the other genres are based upon pure reaction reflex timing, whilst RTS relies on not only rection timing, but strategy, when to execute said strategy and where, along with all the other variables that come into play.

Bullet hell?, dodge the bullets at the right time.

Fighting games?, block or prevent a combo, or execute one at the right time.

FPS?, dodge getting hit, hide behind cover and shoot back.

RPG?, buy better items, level grind to become more powerful.

While you can "spam" in RTS, that doesn't always work, especially with the rock, paper, Scissors dynamic (especially with RTS games that offer complete counters, such as super weapons/support powers that can wipe out an entire spam wave).

I've played RTS games since I was little, and so far it has been the one genre that the majority do not pick up on, simply because it isn't everyone's cup of tea to sit down and calculate what to do to have fun with the genre. In a fighting game, you can simply hop in and play however you want, but with an RTS it's not that simple.

Also helps that I've seen strategy games that feature muscle memory playing out vs those with better ideas of strategy outplaying the ones with faster muscle reflex memories (so reflex do not always pay off in that genre, as some people have proven in the competitive side of RTS). 

Last edited by Chazore - on 21 August 2024

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

For me Rhythm Games, because somehow I must be have been born with no musical bone in my body.

Around the Network
Tober said:

For me Rhythm Games, because somehow I must be have been born with no musical bone in my body.

Same here.  I tried like hell and could never beat the first level of Space Channel 5.  Which is the same, the game was amazing.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED