By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Astro-Bot or Zelda EoW? Clash of the 2024 September Titans

Which will sell more? Which will perform better with critics?

Astro Bot (Sales & Critical Reception) 19 22.35%

Zelda (Sales & Critical Reception) 29 34.12%

Astro Bot (Sales), Zelda (Critical Reception) 3 3.53%

Astro Bot (Critical Reception), Zelda (Sales) 34 40.00%

Total:85
BraLoD said:

I don't have a clue how much Astro Bot will sell, but it deserves to cross the 10M mark for sure.

I hope it goes above 30m :)
This is the type of game every PS5 owner should have.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
BraLoD said:

I don't have a clue how much Astro Bot will sell, but it deserves to cross the 10M mark for sure.

I hope it goes above 30m :)
This is the type of game every PS5 owner should have.

It's honestly a game everyone can enjoy, sadly not a big brand yet, if it was a main Sony franchise already it really could cross 10M.

Imaginedvl said:
Kyuu said:

What's up with AstroBot's overestimation on VGChartz? This game is not going to sell better than a Zel(duh), probably not even better than Zeda remaster. 4 million copies tops, 2-3 million more likely, under 2 million is a possibility too.

I voted Astro (reception) Zelda (sales). But good chance Zelda wins both.

I would love for AstroBot to do huge numbers as much as I would have loved Shadow of the Colossus to sell like a Sony AAA game. But only a small part of the Playstation playerbase is into this kind of game. Even on Nintendo systems, it won't be easy for a niche platformer to sell several million copies.

Last but not least, PS5 is clearly losing hype to PC.

Hopefully I'm wrong and you guys can make fun of me later!

Pretty much that ^

I do not understand why people are even considering AstroBot as a fair competitor (in any way) to anything Zelda-related, to be honest.
AstroBot does not look bad at all, and I think it will do well, but not even close to Zelda EOW.

My vote goes for Zelda on both front.

Astro bot is currently 94 on metacritic. It's top selling on Amazon and seems like it's selling out at some places even in Japan 

Pinkie_pie said:
Imaginedvl said:

Pretty much that ^

I do not understand why people are even considering AstroBot as a fair competitor (in any way) to anything Zelda-related, to be honest.
AstroBot does not look bad at all, and I think it will do well, but not even close to Zelda EOW.

My vote goes for Zelda on both front.

Astro bot is currently 94 on metacritic. It's top selling on Amazon and seems like it's selling out at some places even in Japan 

I hope by "in any way" he wasn't including quality lol. Team Asobi had already proven themselves as a top tier developer with Astro Bot Rescue Mission, and the previews for the PS5 game were highly positive (often likened to Mario Galaxy in effect). While 2D Zelda did have a good chance winning reception, the odds were still against it.

Sales are a different story, but hopefully AstroBot explodes in popularity and surprises me. Word of mouth for the game seems generationally-good and could do it wonders.

JRPGfan said:
Zippy6 said:

Well 54% of the poll had Zelda winning critical reception but a metascore of 94 is going to be very hard to match.

There is no way.... Zelda EoW looks lazy in certain elements, even if theres some creativity in the ability usage.
It comes off looking almost like a 3DS game at times (even if resolutions are much higher, the texture and world ect).

I'll probably get hate for saying so as well.
I suspect alot of "journalist" will give it good reviews, because of girlpower! yay! we can finally play as zelda.
Also theres a ton more switch's out there, than PS5s.
However I don't put these 2 games on the same level.

Astro-bot ooozes charm, love, and polish.... it took dedication to make.
Zelda EoW? it looks lazy.... this was not a passion project... but a short, quick bang for buck, profit off of zelda being playable type of thingy.

If theres any fairness in the world, Astro-bot outsells it by a factor of 10 or so (doubt that though).

Lucas-Rio said:

Zelda is an end of console life 2D spin off, not a Nintendo main effort.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking so.
This was a low effort (low hanging fruit) sort of thingy.
Quick and easy, before then next thing, for the Switch 2.

firebush03 said:

As far as how Zelda will be received among critics? I would need to see more, though it’s looking to be on pace for at least 92MC/OC. This would place it around one or two points below Astro Bot. High enough to be in GotY contention, though not enough to dethrone AB nor even FFVIIRB in the number of awards received.

Im thinking 85-90 range.... and thats mainly because journalists that review, will give it better scores because you can now play as zelda.
EoW isn't setting the world on fire, with its hotness.  Maybe its just me... but the trailers did not sell me on it.

I've got to say I disagree with almost everything you've said here. Zelda EoW looks like it's doing for top down zelda what BoTW did for 3d. Just for comparison ALBW got a 91 on metacritic and that was mostly just a basic top down zelda. EoW looks like it's really pushing what a top down zelda can be. No need to downplay one game to lift up the other.

Also a lot of what you said could be applied to astro as well, it's a lower budget title that doesn't really push the ps5 in any way graphically (not hating on astro, think it's great so far). I have some minor gripes with Astro-bot so far although I won't say anything yet because I want to finish it before giving my thoughts.

Around the Network

"Zelda EoW looks like it's doing for top down zelda what BoTW did for 3d."

I don't think I've seen anyone else be that positive about EoW. Most expectations online seem to be pretty muted. Not long to go till it comes out so we'll see if it's a triumph.

Kyuu said:
Pinkie_pie said:

I hope by "in any way" he wasn't including quality lol. Team Asobi had already proven themselves as a top tier developer with Astro Bot Rescue Mission, and the previews for the PS5 game were highly positive (often likened to Mario Galaxy in effect). While 2D Zelda did have a good chance winning reception, the odds were still against it.

Sales are a different story, but hopefully AstroBot explodes in popularity and surprises me. Word of mouth for the game seems generationally-good and could do it wonders.

Yes, I never said the game is not excellent or high-quality. It is selling well, but it is not in the same league as Zelda.
This is a thread about sales, not quality, not sure how linking the Metacritic is related to how much the game will sales compared to Zelda; those are 2 different things.

Imaginedvl said:
Kyuu said:

Yes, I never said the game is not excellent or high-quality. It is selling well, but it is not in the same league as Zelda.
This is a thread about sales, not quality, not sure how linking the Metacritic is related to how much the game will sales compared to Zelda; those are 2 different things.

The thread is about both sales and critical reception, you predicted Zelda would win both sales and critical reception in your original post.

Zippy6 said:
Imaginedvl said:

The thread is about both sales and critical reception, you predicted Zelda would win both sales and critical reception in your original post.

Oh true lol :) My bad; I was still thinking sales even while talking about reception but yah, in that case I guess it makes sense :D

Hah, you lot were wrong, I was right. Now let's see Astrobot beat it in sales too.