By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Black Myth Wukong: Review Thread

Leynos said:

What's this obsession with Reshitera and holding their views on some fucking pedestal? That forum is full of extremist hypocrites who ban anyone not within the herd views. No, I never joined or ever wanted to. They constantly pretend to be offended. If a game has a female character that shows even a spec of skin they throw tantrums. Then later when it's no longer trendy to pretend to be angry they sing the game's praises. They're just as far extreme and nuts as NeoGaf just in the opposite direction.

No one is holding there views on a pedestal. They are the biggest gaming forum, and i use them to show that there is a lot of people that agree with me. when it's the same 3-4 people here all the time trying to say i'm wrong, and acting like my opinion is something no one agrees with. It's the samething with beyond3d the most famous tech forum for ages i made a thread and guess what most agreed wiiu was infact weaker.

Around the Network
Qwark said:
zeldaring said:

well if you compare to souls like games, or action games like DMC, ninja gaiden, bayonetta, nioh, it looks a generation ahead interms of graphics in animation. You wanna see impressions from other forums many are blown away by the trailer, and calling it a true nextegn game.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/black-myth-wukong-final-trailer-launching-august-20-2024.947577/page-2

If you want to compare it to other action JRPG's why not take FFXVI, Lords of the Fallen (reboot) Stellar Blade and Demon Souls remake as point of reference. Those games are current gen and at least push the PS5. The game looks good, bit to me not anything that's totally out of this world. If we take action games a bit broader we could even throw Horizon Forbidden West in the mix.

I guess it depends. I'm a huge fromsoftware fan and this looks like somethings from them artistically, and gameplay wise but with a nextgen engine and way more variety in gameplay also the OST in this game is mind blowing. 

LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

Preferred graphics and technical are two drastically different aspects. My favorite is wind waker HD... but I know it isn't remotely technically impressive.

The original Wind waker still looks good, proving artstyle is as important as being technically impressive. 

Wind Waker is technically impressive for the era it released in. Again... This is why subjectivity is bullshit.

Wind Waker leveraged compound sine curves to replicate the rising/falling of the waves... The Oceans geometry doesn't shift with the boat, instead it shifts with the texture and plane.

The fire in the game uses quads, but will scale and rotate depending on what's occurring on screen, today we would use hardware geometry instancing to achieve it, but the gamecube lacked that modern hardware functionality.

Or aspects like haze looks like it's being done on a fragment shader, but the gamecube also lacks that hardware, instead they used quads, which the gamecube hardware is extremely proficient at managing... One quad is a copy of the frame with a deformation texture applied.

The wind "lines" or effects are actually real geometry, modern hardware would use Geometry shaders to achieve the effect, but on the Cube they just manipulated the vertices.

It was a very technically impressive game for the era... Yes it was obfuscated with art, but again... Art doesn't hide proficient technical achievements if you know what to look for.

zeldaring said:

So if i see a game that  looks like it has amazing gameplay how the heck am i suppose to describe it? when i say it looks to be true nextgen game i'm talking about every aspect of the game, from the artistic beautiful graphics, to the animation and the gameplay variety it does look like a huge step up in those aspects.

Start learning how the rendering is being achieved to give you an understanding of -why- it's impressive... That way you won't make arbitrary claims which are not based on facts.

We already have Unreal Engine 5 games with Lumen and Nanite, this game isn't a "next gen" game over those.

zeldaring said:

No one is holding there views on a pedestal. They are the biggest gaming forum, and i use them to show that there is a lot of people that agree with me. when it's the same 3-4 people here all the time trying to say i'm wrong, and acting like my opinion is something no one agrees with. It's the samething with beyond3d the most famous tech forum for ages i made a thread and guess what most agreed wiiu was infact weaker.

Have you thought that maybe those 3-4 people are saying you are wrong... Because... Well... You are?

Resetera is also -not- the biggest gaming forum, so I thought I would call you out on your latest false assertion.

Steam forums are far far far larger.
IGN boards are larger.
Neogaf, Gamespot, Reddit, Gamefaq also have larger user bases.

Conversely the size of a forum and the number of users isn't a direct result of how technically competent it's users are, I am a part of some extremely high-end overclocking and folding groups for decades, the users there are technically proficient compared to a gaming forum like this one or ResetEra, they don't care about rubbish like Subjective vs Objective, they deploy the scientific method to garner results and share it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
LegitHyperbole said:

The original Wind waker still looks good, proving artstyle is as important as being technically impressive. 

Wind Waker is technically impressive for the era it released in. Again... This is why subjectivity is bullshit.

Wind Waker leveraged compound sine curves to replicate the rising/falling of the waves... The Oceans geometry doesn't shift with the boat, instead it shifts with the texture and plane.

The fire in the game uses quads, but will scale and rotate depending on what's occurring on screen, today we would use hardware geometry instancing to achieve it, but the gamecube lacked that modern hardware functionality.

Or aspects like haze looks like it's being done on a fragment shader, but the gamecube also lacks that hardware, instead they used quads, which the gamecube hardware is extremely proficient at managing... One quad is a copy of the frame with a deformation texture applied.

The wind "lines" or effects are actually real geometry, modern hardware would use Geometry shaders to achieve the effect, but on the Cube they just manipulated the vertices.

It was a very technically impressive game for the era... Yes it was obfuscated with art, but again... Art doesn't hide proficient technical achievements if you know what to look for.

zeldaring said:

So if i see a game that  looks like it has amazing gameplay how the heck am i suppose to describe it? when i say it looks to be true nextgen game i'm talking about every aspect of the game, from the artistic beautiful graphics, to the animation and the gameplay variety it does look like a huge step up in those aspects.

Start learning how the rendering is being achieved to give you an understanding of -why- it's impressive... That way you won't make arbitrary claims which are not based on facts.

We already have Unreal Engine 5 games with Lumen and Nanite, this game isn't a "next gen" game over those.

zeldaring said:

Have you thought that maybe those 3-4 people are saying you are wrong... Because... Well... You are?

Resetera is also -not- the biggest gaming forum, so I thought I would call you out on your latest false assertion.

Steam forums are far far far larger.
IGN boards are larger.
Neogaf, Gamespot, Reddit, Gamefaq also have larger user bases.

Have you ever thought why hundreds of people say you're wrong.. well because you are ? There is much bigger world then the 3-4 people in this forum that agree with you and they mostly agree with me but i'm more open minded and understand it's subjective. Maybe stop trying to be the police of graphics discussion, and stating your opinion as fact? You are not a super computer which knows which games is techically is more demanding on a hardware. This has been stated time and time again by developers but you continue to ignore it. Just a simple example how the do you compare something like BOTW and zelda link awaking you can't just look at one and say one is more demanding then the other as fact. you name all these graphical tech in game but just a game going for a high rosolution, detail and npc's on screen can be more demanding and over load the GPU. how about we compare GTA6 vs hell blade 2 i know your gonna tell me that hell balde is more technically impressive right? try to see things from other POV instead of yours, where you only care what rendering methods its using.

I Could also add neogaf and RDR 2 also wins as best looking ever there. it's also much smaller now compared to resetera now, so is gamespot for that matter. Feel free to bring up any forum which has the question which is the best looking game ever currently. alos found this and on reddit with everyone agreeing it's still the best looking game.

resetera and beyond3d have a tons of developers and no one really shares anything similar to your thoughts. almost evryone unversally agrees it's subjective and almost impossible to look at game and tell which one is more demanding, unless there is a massive gap graphically.

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption2/comments/183hdk6/this_game_is_better_looking_than_most_video_games/

Last edited by zeldaring - on 12 August 2024

Get a life, man.

Around the Network
Kynes said:

Get a life, man.

Maybe you should  why are you entering my thread with personal insults?

I'm curious to see reviews. It does look like a fun game.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

zeldaring said:

Have you ever thought why hundreds of people say you're wrong.. well because you are ?

Feel free to showcase evidence where this statement is even remotely factual.

zeldaring said:

There is much bigger world then the 3-4 people in this forum that agree with you and they mostly agree with me but i'm more open minded and understand it's subjective.

If the previous forum you linked to in a previous thread is your rebuttal, then it's a silly one.

They didn't even reach a consensus and agree with you.

zeldaring said:

Maybe stop trying to be the police of graphics discussion, and stating your opinion as fact?

This is a baseless assertion. Not once have I stated (In-fact I have done the opposite) that I am an authority on any topic.
Feel free to provide evidence to the contrary though.

zeldaring said:

You are not a super computer which knows which games is techically is more demanding on a hardware.

This claim is stupid. I am not a piece of technology, I am a human being which is orders-of-magnitude more complex... But like always, feel free to provide evidence to the contrary.

And I -do- know which games are technically more demanding on hardware. 

1) I have every single console starting from the 4th gen onwards.
2) I have high-end, mid-range and low-end PC's.
3) I can compare them all like-for-like in real time.
4) I have a better understanding of low-level hardware than you, considering I have -designed- and -built- microprocessors. - But again, I don't pretend I am an authority on the topic, there is much I don't know.

zeldaring said:

This has been stated time and time again by developers but you continue to ignore it.

Correct. And I have provided evidence from developers prior, which you ignored.

zeldaring said:

Just a simple example how the do you compare something like BOTW and zelda link awaking you can't just look at one and say one is more demanding then the other as fact.

Actually I can.
When you look at Links Awakening you can literally see it leveraging more graphics effects concurrently.
Links Awakening tends to suffer from low levels of performance due to said effects.

And when it comes to emulation, Breath of the Wild is easier to emulate because it's a simpler game, graphically.

Checkmate.

zeldaring said:

you name all these graphical tech in game but just a game going for a high rosolution, detail and npc's on screen can be more demanding and over load the GPU.

I am not the crazy one here who thinks a 6 year old game like Red Dead Redemption 2 has better graphics than an Unreal Engine 5.4 game like Hellblade 2... Which is the same technology that Black Myths - Wukong is using which you claim is "next gen".

Do you not see how silly your reasoning has been thus far?

Please think about it a little bit longer before you try another reply. Please. For everyone's sake.

zeldaring said:

how about we compare GTA6 vs hell blade 2 i know your gonna tell me that hell balde is more technically impressive right?

1) I have never made the stupid claim that Hellblade 2 is more technically impressive than GTA6.
2) GTA6 isn't out yet and thus cannot be used for comparison.

But feel free to provide evidence to the contrary.

But might I suggest you -stop- making baseless assertions of apparent statements I have actually never made? It may assist in building your own credibility.

zeldaring said:

try to see things from other POV instead of yours, where you only care what rendering methods its using.

There is no "our". You are solo outlier in this discussion as everyone has raised points of contention that contradicts your own ideas.

zeldaring said:

I Could also add neogaf and RDR 2 also wins as best looking ever there. it's also much smaller now compared to resetera now, so is gamespot for that matter. Feel free to bring up any forum which has the question which is the best looking game ever currently. alos found this and on reddit with everyone agreeing it's still the best looking game.

Evidence please.

zeldaring said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption2/comments/183hdk6/this_game_is_better_looking_than_most_video_games/

You have misconstrued this reddit threads intentions... I.E You lack any real understanding of it's context.
The poster never asserted that Red Dead Redemption 2 is the best looking game of all time.

The poster stated that it is "better looking than most video games". - NOTE THE WORD "MOST".
Which is factually accurate... MobyGames video game database currently has 283,180 video games in it's database... And majority of those games released before Red-Dead Redemption 2. We are talking games released in the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, 2000's and 2010's.

Obviously a newer AAA game will out-class all previous games graphically when it releases.

But I challenge you to keep trying, you might find a website, person or random link that agrees with you, somewhere. Maybe. - But please provide it so I can mock that as well...

https://www.mobygames.com/

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
zeldaring said:

Have you ever thought why hundreds of people say you're wrong.. well because you are ?

Feel free to showcase evidence where this statement is even remotely factual.

zeldaring said:

There is much bigger world then the 3-4 people in this forum that agree with you and they mostly agree with me but i'm more open minded and understand it's subjective.

If the previous forum you linked to in a previous thread is your rebuttal, then it's a silly one.

They didn't even reach a consensus and agree with you.

zeldaring said:

Maybe stop trying to be the police of graphics discussion, and stating your opinion as fact?

This is a baseless assertion. Not once have I stated (In-fact I have done the opposite) that I am an authority on any topic.
Feel free to provide evidence to the contrary though.

zeldaring said:

You are not a super computer which knows which games is techically is more demanding on a hardware.

This claim is stupid. I am not a piece of technology, I am a human being which is orders-of-magnitude more complex... But like always, feel free to provide evidence to the contrary.

And I -do- know which games are technically more demanding on hardware. 

1) I have every single console starting from the 4th gen onwards.
2) I have high-end, mid-range and low-end PC's.
3) I can compare them all like-for-like in real time.
4) I have a better understanding of low-level hardware than you, considering I have -designed- and -built- microprocessors. - But again, I don't pretend I am an authority on the topic, there is much I don't know.

zeldaring said:

This has been stated time and time again by developers but you continue to ignore it.

Correct. And I have provided evidence from developers prior, which you ignored.

zeldaring said:

Just a simple example how the do you compare something like BOTW and zelda link awaking you can't just look at one and say one is more demanding then the other as fact.

Actually I can.
When you look at Links Awakening you can literally see it leveraging more graphics effects concurrently.
Links Awakening tends to suffer from low levels of performance due to said effects.

And when it comes to emulation, Breath of the Wild is easier to emulate because it's a simpler game, graphically.

Checkmate.

zeldaring said:

you name all these graphical tech in game but just a game going for a high rosolution, detail and npc's on screen can be more demanding and over load the GPU.

I am not the crazy one here who thinks a 6 year old game like Red Dead Redemption 2 has better graphics than an Unreal Engine 5.4 game like Hellblade 2... Which is the same technology that Black Myths - Wukong is using which you claim is "next gen".

Do you not see how silly your reasoning has been thus far?

Please think about it a little bit longer before you try another reply. Please. For everyone's sake.

zeldaring said:

how about we compare GTA6 vs hell blade 2 i know your gonna tell me that hell balde is more technically impressive right?

1) I have never made the stupid claim that Hellblade 2 is more technically impressive than GTA6.
2) GTA6 isn't out yet and thus cannot be used for comparison.

But feel free to provide evidence to the contrary.

But might I suggest you -stop- making baseless assertions of apparent statements I have actually never made? It may assist in building your own credibility.

zeldaring said:

try to see things from other POV instead of yours, where you only care what rendering methods its using.

There is no "our". You are solo outlier in this discussion as everyone has raised points of contention that contradicts your own ideas.

zeldaring said:

Evidence please.

zeldaring said:

You have misconstrued this reddit threads intentions... I.E You lack any real understanding of it's context.
The poster never asserted that Red Dead Redemption 2 is the best looking game of all time.

The poster stated that it is "better looking than most video games". - NOTE THE WORD "MOST".
Which is factually accurate... MobyGames video game database currently has 283,180 video games in it's database... And majority of those games released before Red-Dead Redemption 2. We are talking games released in the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, 2000's and 2010's.

Obviously a newer AAA game will out-class all previous games graphically when it releases.

But I challenge you to keep trying, you might find a website, person or random link that agrees with you, somewhere. Maybe. - But please provide it so I can mock that as well...

https://www.mobygames.com/

you said there is no way RDR 2 is still the best looking game, and i showed a poll where it won, on the most active gaming forum. you also said the samething about GTAV not being the most techically impressive of 7th gen and i showed it most people thought it was it's almost like these things are subjective.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-would-you-say-is-the-best-looking-game-ever-produced-so-far.781943/

As i stated many times and even one mod stated that graphics are just not visual images it everything from animation to world, to sorrunding. Why do people think RDR is still the best looking because it still looks great in 4k and it looks like wild west painting and has the most  believable world in gaming. while yes i see the hell blade 2 is more technically impressive  there no vistas or beautiful land scapes, and pretty much a walking simulator which is why no one mentions it as the best looking game. As or wukong i have to see how it runs on consoles i think its gonna be really bad as image quality is very important to me when it come to graphics. 

As for the beyond3d forum go look now they all pretty much agree with me its been updated.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/can-we-really-judge-a-consoles-power-on-exclusive-games-or-multiplaform-games.63681/page-6#post-2347763

As for your checkmate, not really. link's awaking probably has a very small budget and is tagetting 60fps and trying to emulate a game designed for 16 bit hardware. while botw has massive budget and is  dynamic 900p targetting 30fps which it can't even maintain in areas that are demanding like that village. It's really pointless comparsion. it's really about the end result and i find botw way more impressive, cause if its open world, and physics, but that's the thing these thing are always subjective.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 13 August 2024

This is  a great post from the mod at beyond3d, and its something i been trying to tell you that it's subjective when they been debating the same crap for 20 years.
All these 'which is better' discussions follow the same patterns which is why the Old Guard of B3D gave up on them as a bad idea many years ago. Seriously, some of us have been debating platforms for 20+ years! We even had comparisons outlawed in another version of the Rules of Engagement.

You can only compare hardware performance across the same games when you can be sure the same investment and expertise is brought to both consoles. It is possible for one platform to have more overall potential for a game than another, but that game on that console to perform worse than on the rival console because the hardware wasn't so well used for economic and/or technical reasons.

As such, comparing platform to platform is a very complex task that requires processing a truckload of data. All sorts of games need to be compared across the entire library, exclusives and multi-platforms, the circumstances of each title needs to be weighed in, and lastly the results balanced between 'strengths and weaknesses' of the platforms as it's rare for a platform to be better in every single way.

The only time you can definitively say a platform is better than another is when it clearly is in every way, such as SNES versus NES.

Lastly, to answer the OP's question with a question, and the most important question, why do you want to know? Is it out of curiosity? Then there may not be an answer you like. Is it to validate an emotional connection to a piece of a hardware? Let that go; it's unhealthy. Is it for the joy of discussion? Then move off 'how powerful is a console' as a question and instead think 'how and why does a platform perform as it does on a game' with comparisons only to consider alternative approaches to the same problem as an engineering exercise.

PS3 versus 360 could maybe be summarised as "both were remarkable engineering feats using pioneering silicon. They took two diverse approaches to the challenges of producing computer games. XB360 has a more balanced hardware design but with some design considerations that ended up limited as software paradigms progressed. PS3 was difficult to use and had a relatively weak GPU. Both experienced games that managed to tap their potential and produce incredible results, while both also had duffers. UE4 generally ran better on 360. Both had key strengths where they could eclipse the other, but those strengths may not have been particularly useful in actual games."

Or something. There's a meaningful Masters Thesis here, but not a "platform A was more powerful because" answer and it's honestly a complete waste of everyone's time to try to debate that. I won't stop you, but those of us who have done this for 20 years and see the same old arguments and perspectives circle around and around and around can tell you from experience that you won't get anywhere trying to debate the question this way.
Last edited by zeldaring - on 13 August 2024