By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Black Myth Wukong: Review Thread

Leynos said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Back to the last topic and not to derail the thread but THIS looks "next gen".

No such thing as next-gen yet and it's running on RE Engine. An Engine used for last-gen games and Switch games plus current-gen games. It's also almost a decade old.

Ah ya know what I mean, what I am to say then is it looks like a generational jump over base ps4 and other 8th gen systems. It's among the games we are seeing that "feeling" cause it's not definable or quantifiable. I'm not sure if I agree with ZeldaRing that Black myth is the start or the defining edge of that undefinable change in 9th gen games visuals but considering it's a fast action game I'd consider it to be nearing the end the bridge between 8th and 9th gen. Stuff like Death Stranding 2, MH Wilds and most definitely GTA6 will be on the other end of that bridge for sure. And I know, it's a subjective gauging of visuals and you can't put ones and zeroes next to it to parse out exactly where the changes are happening but you know what is meant by it, you know the feeling like the differences between decades of the 20th century.

Around the Network
Leynos said:
LegitHyperbole said:

No such thing as next-gen yet and it's running on RE Engine. An Engine used for last-gen games and Switch games plus current-gen games. It's also almost a decade old.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Just cause a game uses the same engine doesn't mean it's not pushing nextgen graphics. RDR2 uses rage engine it was next gen compared GTAV and RDR on 360 which used the same engine.

LegitHyperbole said:

Yup this looks nextgen fot sure when you compare it to the world, it's a masive leap. The only thing that sucks that action games like this get a huge boost to gameplay at 60fps. so while these games look great 30fps is gonna suck for this type of game.

zeldaring said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Yup this looks nextgen fot sure when you compare it to the world, it's a masive leap. The only thing that sucks that action games like this get a huge boost to gameplay at 60fps. so while these games look great 30fps is gonna suck for this type of game.

Hoping that Performance/quality modes continue. I'm outta the loop though, do PS5 games do that like PRO or do we have to wait for a PS5 PRO where this will be the feature? 

LegitHyperbole said:
zeldaring said:

Hoping that Performance/quality modes continue. I'm outta the loop though, do PS5 games do that like PRO or do we have to wait for a PS5 PRO where this will be the feature? 

Most games do but the games that use the more taxing engines and effects usually don'thold 60fps well and preet weka image quality with fsr.

Around the Network

Spoilers ahead... obviously...

LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

The ps5 is in an odd spot. GPU availability was super tight. The ps5 probably should have launched a year later with better hardware. Memory bandwidth is only 448 gb/s. Just not enough for modern gaming.

I was gonna get one since my pro is always overheating now, are you telling me I'm buying a weak console?

It's 2024 man. The PS5 dropped in 2020. It's not going to be state of the art this point. It's basically the CPU portion of the R7 4700G mated to a RX 6700 with a higher bandwith unified RAM pool to draw from. The Zen 2 CPU architecture was only a year old when PS5 launched. The RDNA2 Architecture was brand new when the PS5 launched. It technically launched on PS5 and Xbox Series before PC. If you can wait for the PS5 Pro, I would since you don't have a PS5 already and it allegedly launching in November. Other wise, if you can't wait, you should be fine with the PS5. With COVID extending the cross gen period. The PS6 won't drop for another 3 or 4 years.

G2ThaUNiT said:

Oh damn! CP2077 is the only single player game to break 1 million peak concurrent players on Steam. We looking at a record setter?! 👀

I wouldn't be surprised if this is being pre-loaded en masse in Chinese cybercafés. It'll sell more there than in the rest of the world combined.

It's got good English VA, that's one check off the list of things that could go wrong. Futures looking bright. This being an entry point to the story however...seems abrupt. 

***Spoiler ahead for first 48 minutes***

Last edited by LegitHyperbole - on 19 August 2024

In my researching, I can confidently say that this is a Hogwarts Legacy type deal. The reviews now seem worthless. If it can pass the test of running well and the technical issues are minimal both on PC and on Console and the microtrasaction stuff is not true then I don't see any reason why people would be let down by this unless they were expecting soulsborne. It looks phenomenal and you can feel how impactful, solid and heavy hitting the combat is through watching second hand, that's rare. Must feel a joy to play. Fingers crossed the performance is solid and consoles aren't a shelled out version.