By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Black Myth Wukong: Review Thread

The ps5 is in an odd spot. GPU availability was super tight. The ps5 probably should have launched a year later with better hardware. Memory bandwidth is only 448 gb/s. Just not enough for modern gaming.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

The ps5 is in an odd spot. GPU availability was super tight. The ps5 probably should have launched a year later with better hardware. Memory bandwidth is only 448 gb/s. Just not enough for modern gaming.

I was gonna get one since my pro is always overheating now, are you telling me I'm buying a weak console?

LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

I was gonna get one since my pro is always overheating now, are you telling me I'm buying a weak console?

Personally, assuming rumors a true, I would wait on a ps5 Pro.  It is supposed to go from 448 gb/s to 600+ gb/s.  That should be a healthy upgrade.  

And the ps5, just my opinion, is a bit weak.  Don't get me wrong a clear jump over the ps4 pro, but I think modern game engines are meh on the ps5.  I could be completely wrong, but something like GTA6 I think will rock the base ps5, but run well on the ps5 pro, again if the rumors are true.  

edit

Broad brush -> ps5 is basically close to 1080p/60fps or 1800/30fps for true next gen games.  I find that a bit disappointing.  I am hoping with the Pro it will be 1800p/60fps with good scaling for a 4k like image quality.    

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 16 August 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Sooooooo after seeing reviews, troublesome performance aside, the game is just a boss rush mode? That's the terminology I keep reading. I thought there was going to be a fleshed out story to follow along with that of course had boss battles, but I wasn't expecting the game to basically be only boss battles. Not my definition of a "next-gen" experience, but still waiting to see how user reviews turn out at launch.

G2ThaUNiT said:

Sooooooo after seeing reviews, troublesome performance aside, the game is just a boss rush mode? That's the terminology I keep reading. I thought there was going to be a flushed out story to follow along with that of course had boss battles, but I wasn't expecting the game to basically be only boss battles. Not my definition of a "next-gen" experience, but still waiting to see how user reviews turn out at launch.

Yea that's disappointing still a great first effort i guess, but it seems like a very high production nioh which i don't mind. Although i doubt it will run well on ps5.

Edit it seems like there is exporing.

For reference, Chapter 1 was pretty linear, but Chapter 2 I spent near 10+ hours in doing all of the optional content. Was a lot more open with different ways to go, few NPC quests in there too. Also, each Chapter has a "Secret" area that you gain access to by doing a quest of such which usually reward you with an item that helps against the final boss of that chapter.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 16 August 2024

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Sooooooo after seeing reviews, troublesome performance aside, the game is just a boss rush mode? That's the terminology I keep reading. I thought there was going to be a flushed out story to follow along with that of course had boss battles, but I wasn't expecting the game to basically be only boss battles. Not my definition of a "next-gen" experience, but still waiting to see how user reviews turn out at launch.

Yea that's disappointing still a great first effort i guess, but it seems like a very high production nioh which i don't mind. Although i doubt it will run well on ps5.

For reference, Chapter 1 was pretty linear, but Chapter 2 I spent near 10+ hours in doing all of the optional content. Was a lot more open with different ways to go, few NPC quests in there too. Also, each Chapter has a "Secret" area that you gain access to by doing a quest of such which usually reward you with an item that helps against the final boss of that chapter.

Yeah I'd say it's still a really good first outing that the studio can then build on top of. Unknown console performance is historically a worrisome sign. We'll find out soon enough.

Okay, so some exploration, but I'm skeptical on them claiming 10+ hours on a single chapter for just optional content. A few different ways to go, a few NPC quests (curious what kind of quests they are) and the secret area (I like that touch btw for each chapter) doesn't sound like something you'll spend more than a handful of hours doing at the most, let alone 10 hours. It's not an open world game, so unless there's dozens upon dozens upon dozens of different areas to go to somehow with additional dozens of NPC quests, I'm pressing X to doubt on this reviewers claim.

But it does seem like the main structure of the game is a boss rush mode. Like you can go straight to that chapters boss if you want, but they did throw in some additional side content to keep you busy if you so choose to. 

Chrkeller said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Personally, assuming rumors a true, I would wait on a ps5 Pro.  It is supposed to go from 448 gb/s to 600+ gb/s.  That should be a healthy upgrade.  

And the ps5, just my opinion, is a bit weak.  Don't get me wrong a clear jump over the ps4 pro, but I think modern game engines are meh on the ps5.  I could be completely wrong, but something like GTA6 I think will rock the base ps5, but run well on the ps5 pro, again if the rumors are true.  

edit

Broad brush -> ps5 is basically close to 1080p/60fps or 1800/30fps for true next gen games.  I find that a bit disappointing.  I am hoping with the Pro it will be 1800p/60fps with good scaling for a 4k like image quality.    

PS5 main problem is Unreal 5 and that engine if you look at the tech demos can provide true nextgen leap and make developing games much faster, but it will probably shine with ps5 pro or maybe ps6. I think the pro is suppose to use AI for machine learning that will be huge for image quality cause FSR sucks. For me personally  image quaity and 60fps depending on the game is the most important, cause almost everything looks really good these days. I don't think GTA6 will have a problems  just look what they did with RDR 2 on ps4, nothing comes close on ps4 interms of being a technical achievement.

G2ThaUNiT said:
zeldaring said:

Yeah I'd say it's still a really good first outing that the studio can then build on top of. Unknown console performance is historically a worrisome sign. We'll find out soon enough.

Okay, so some exploration, but I'm skeptical on them claiming 10+ hours on a single chapter for just optional content. A few different ways to go, a few NPC quests (curious what kind of quests they are) and the secret area (I like that touch btw for each chapter) doesn't sound like something you'll spend more than a handful of hours doing at the most, let alone 10 hours. It's not an open world game, so unless there's dozens upon dozens upon dozens of different areas to go to somehow with additional dozens of NPC quests, I'm pressing X to doubt on this reviewers claim.

But it does seem like the main structure of the game is a boss rush mode. Like you can go straight to that chapters boss if you want, but they did throw in some additional side content to keep you busy if you so choose to. 

Few are say 20 hours to finish and 40 hours for all side quests not sure.

COGconnected calls it the best looking game ever. it seems U5 engine  needs way more powerful hardware and some better optimazation before we see things like the matrix demo.

This review has me hyped. looks amazing, and the bosses are some of the most best impressive ever.

Can you update the thread to review discussion and reflect the scores. https://opencritic.com/game/17160/black-myth-wukong