By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best part of 9th Gen consoles so far?

9th Gen (not counting switch) is...

Essential 1 3.33%

A good upgrade 8 26.67%

A poor upgrade 6 20.00%

Inessential 12 40.00%

No opinion. 3 10.00%

Total:30
LegitHyperbole said:
SanAndreasX said:

The best game I’ve played that was released this year is a multiplatform game that ran beautifully on Switch and had its best sales on Switch: Unicorn Overlord.

i am largely uninterested in the AAA space anymore. Nintendo, Capcom, Square Enix, Sega, and Bandai Namco still do decent stuff in that space. Larian did a good job on BG3. But that’s pretty much it. 

Yeah, I see the hype around that game and can't wait to get around to it and definitely is on consideration for a switch playthrough. But hey, you have to agree, the Switch aged super fast. Like it couldn't even handle the GTA remasters as well as the PS4 or Xbox while docked, not even close and those games are three generations old. Even if it has the power to do so companies don't seem able to or willing to put in the effort to port properly, AAA or not even the older games, remasters and ports like. That's a problem. Some work perfectly and then you get something like Mortal Kombat. 

Eh... I agree the Switch needs a successor but this example is terrible. The GTA Trilogy had problems in every platform it launched.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Yeah, I see the hype around that game and can't wait to get around to it and definitely is on consideration for a switch playthrough. But hey, you have to agree, the Switch aged super fast. Like it couldn't even handle the GTA remasters as well as the PS4 or Xbox while docked, not even close and those games are three generations old. Even if it has the power to do so companies don't seem able to or willing to put in the effort to port properly, AAA or not even the older games, remasters and ports like. That's a problem. Some work perfectly and then you get something like Mortal Kombat. 

Yea even the good ports are too  compromised. Like ps4 came out in 2013 as mainly a home console player, i don't want a experiance that's gonna much worse in most cases then something that came out 11 years ago, no thanks.

Indeed. Even Tears of the Kingdom seemed slightly compromised as if it hit it's limit with Breath of the wild. It's a great system for indies and bringing them on the go though, even if you have to wade chin deep in shovelware to find the good stuff and having Nintendo exclusive games or even something like Fire Emblem three houses which is really AAA in your pocket is amazing. It can be done but the companies need to work for the switch first, like MH Rise... perfect example of AAA quality done properly on switch and then ported to the other systems. 

I'm not having the issue of sifting through shovelware to get to great games. No, I don't organize by alphabet. Shit just goes in it's section lol

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

I'm not having the issue of sifting through shovelware to get to great games. No, I don't organize by alphabet. Shit just goes in it's section lol

Oh yeah, I forgot physical games still exist, lol. How do you find these? Do you like keep up with reviews or what? Or buy something the looks good on the cover? 

It's the digital store that is the issue, I suppose I should have clarified that. 

LegitHyperbole said:

Yep, I'd consider PSVR 2 essential but it's so pricey and they still have that damn wire even though it's nice to see they've done away with the damn breakout box, that thing was so inconvenient. However the narrative now is that VR is dying, Sony are giving up on it and it's going the way of the vita. The Vita is still a great system as I'm sure PSVR 2 is and it'll be great to het one on the cheap sometime down the line. I do hope they keep the store alive though and that's my biggest fear with it. They tore down the store for PSVR on PS4, practically wiping it out of existence unless you used very specific title searching and even then some won't show up. It's good to see ya enjoying it though, at least some people are finding that joy in it and it's not a total disaster. I'm sure it'll be easy to reigilnite the VR craze again when the time comes since there is such a devout group of loyalists who are still showing love for it and that unprecedented attach rate should, hopefully be enough to get console publishers and Sony to look at it again. Probably when Meta or Valve or the like can make the hardware to the size and ease of swimming goggles. I still think console VR would have been the best had it worked out and there was no pandemic/economic slump. It had a really good chance. Such a pity. 

Alas, it's essential hardware for seemingly inessential hardware. 

VR dying is the same narrative as PC gaming is dying or handhelds are dying. Just wishful thinking by those that can't afford it or don't want to spend the upfront cost.

The PC adapter and Steam app for PSVR2 come out on August 7.
https://www.eurogamer.net/steam-app-for-sonys-playstation-vr2-out-in-august

PSVR2 already has 214 games listed on the store
https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/pages/browse/1?PSVR2=productVrCompatibility

No Man's Sky is currently the top seller again after a big update improving the graphics even further. (They already added eye tracked foveated rendering last year)

There's still plenty to look forward to like Max Mustard, Aces of Thunder, Metro Awakening, Alien Rogue Incursion and more.

I have over a dozen games lined up to play on PSVR2, but for now just managing to keep up with GT7 due to limited play time. Last night I did a custom race in a '69 Dodge Charger fully upgraded against other legendary cars of that era around the Nurburgring during sunset. The HDR visuals make it feel real. The brightness isn't there yet to make day time look convincing, yet sunset, dusk and night look plenty real. (Apart from the too big sized stars, resolution still needs to improve)

VR will stick around but the user base is simply not there to invest 200 million dollars into a VR game. PCVR mods are a blessing and a curse. It drives headset sales and engagement, but it's hard to invest in hybrid games when a mod does it for free. Not in the same manor of course, but $60 for RE7 for PCVR vs downloading a mod, Capsom isn't going to spend the money to make it. Same problem mobile phone games have :/

Anyway, there are plenty smaller games that are absolutely great in VR. You just have to abandon the idea that AAA games will be made for VR. Not even Astrobot is getting the VR treatment. Yet there is so much worth discovering once you stop thinking about playing RDR2 on PSVR2!

Btw what do you mean about tearing down the PSVR store for PS4?
https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/pages/browse/1?PS4=targetPlatforms&PSVR=productVrCompatibility
448 titles listed is what I see.

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:
SanAndreasX said:

The best game I’ve played that was released this year is a multiplatform game that ran beautifully on Switch and had its best sales on Switch: Unicorn Overlord.

i am largely uninterested in the AAA space anymore. Nintendo, Capcom, Square Enix, Sega, and Bandai Namco still do decent stuff in that space. Larian did a good job on BG3. But that’s pretty much it. 

GTA was sloppy porting, not the fault of the Switch, and it was a problem across the board. There are loads of newer games which ran much better on Switch. And I'm not very impressed when I hear of games on PS5/XSX struggling, either. 

Right now, the AAA industry seems to be collapsing under its own weight. They need to find some way of getting costs down if they want their economic model to be viable.  I've been buying more games from Nihon Falcom than Square Enix in recent years. They don't look as nice as FF16, but they're at least just as fun. Speaking of SE, the game I'm looking forward to the most from them is DQ3-HD, and I'm betting Switch sales of that title crush the sales on PS5/XSX/PC. 

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 25 July 2024

zeldaring said:
Wman1996 said:

It's a good upgrade. Obviously if you feel 8th gen consoles are too slow and too low of resolutions than 9th gen consoles are essential. Most must-play games are still on Xbox One, PS4, and Switch.
For me, the SSD is the big gamechanger.

I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means but it's crazy to me that if your gaming like 10 plus hours a week and don't want to  upgrade your gaming hardware for a better experiance after 5-7 years, SSD plus going from 30 to 60fps makes your games look and play much  better and it really is small investment if you trade in your ps4-ps4 pro considering the upgrade will last you for 5 years easy. plus the exclusives are coming so why wait?

Admittedly, some people are late adopters. They may not have gotten a PS4 or Xbox One until at least 2019, if not 2020-present.

I don't disagree with you, though. If someone is spending hundreds if not over a thousand hours gaming a year plus spending hundreds or more USD to game it seems foolish not to move on because you think the next system doesn't have enough new features or next-gen only titles. You're investing so much of your time and money to game already, but you stubbornly won't get a new system by trading in your old or even keeping your old system and still buying the new system.

There are some people on this site and others still saying a Series X/S and PS5 aren't worth it yet as of July 2024. Unless you're thrifty, casual, or a late adopter, I don't get it. Take a game like Horizon: Zero Dawn. Taking a gaming PC out of the equation, it runs better on PS5 than a PS4 or PS4 Pro.

From Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4 & PS5 | Backwards Compatible (backwards-compatible.com)

Resolution: 2160c
Frame rate: 60 FPS
Improvements: LightingTexture FilteringDOFReflectionsLOD

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

SvennoJ said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Yep, I'd consider PSVR 2 essential but it's so pricey and they still have that damn wire even though it's nice to see they've done away with the damn breakout box, that thing was so inconvenient. However the narrative now is that VR is dying, Sony are giving up on it and it's going the way of the vita. The Vita is still a great system as I'm sure PSVR 2 is and it'll be great to het one on the cheap sometime down the line. I do hope they keep the store alive though and that's my biggest fear with it. They tore down the store for PSVR on PS4, practically wiping it out of existence unless you used very specific title searching and even then some won't show up. It's good to see ya enjoying it though, at least some people are finding that joy in it and it's not a total disaster. I'm sure it'll be easy to reigilnite the VR craze again when the time comes since there is such a devout group of loyalists who are still showing love for it and that unprecedented attach rate should, hopefully be enough to get console publishers and Sony to look at it again. Probably when Meta or Valve or the like can make the hardware to the size and ease of swimming goggles. I still think console VR would have been the best had it worked out and there was no pandemic/economic slump. It had a really good chance. Such a pity. 

Alas, it's essential hardware for seemingly inessential hardware. 

VR dying is the same narrative as PC gaming is dying or handhelds are dying. Just wishful thinking by those that can't afford it or don't want to spend the upfront cost.

The PC adapter and Steam app for PSVR2 come out on August 7.
https://www.eurogamer.net/steam-app-for-sonys-playstation-vr2-out-in-august

PSVR2 already has 214 games listed on the store
https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/pages/browse/1?PSVR2=productVrCompatibility

No Man's Sky is currently the top seller again after a big update improving the graphics even further. (They already added eye tracked foveated rendering last year)

There's still plenty to look forward to like Max Mustard, Aces of Thunder, Metro Awakening, Alien Rogue Incursion and more.

I have over a dozen games lined up to play on PSVR2, but for now just managing to keep up with GT7 due to limited play time. Last night I did a custom race in a '69 Dodge Charger fully upgraded against other legendary cars of that era around the Nurburgring during sunset. The HDR visuals make it feel real. The brightness isn't there yet to make day time look convincing, yet sunset, dusk and night look plenty real. (Apart from the too big sized stars, resolution still needs to improve)

VR will stick around but the user base is simply not there to invest 200 million dollars into a VR game. PCVR mods are a blessing and a curse. It drives headset sales and engagement, but it's hard to invest in hybrid games when a mod does it for free. Not in the same manor of course, but $60 for RE7 for PCVR vs downloading a mod, Capsom isn't going to spend the money to make it. Same problem mobile phone games have :/

Anyway, there are plenty smaller games that are absolutely great in VR. You just have to abandon the idea that AAA games will be made for VR. Not even Astrobot is getting the VR treatment. Yet there is so much worth discovering once you stop thinking about playing RDR2 on PSVR2!

Btw what do you mean about tearing down the PSVR store for PS4?
https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/pages/browse/1?PS4=targetPlatforms&PSVR=productVrCompatibility
448 titles listed is what I see.

I hope you're right about VR sticking around. It's too cool to have it die or get shelved til the future. Ya have to admit though, the games start to get really samey. It's like... Puzzles... shootings gallery...experience fishing/water rafting/climbing... here's an on rails shooter. Such a revolutionary technology should have revolutionary software. 

Wman1996 said:
zeldaring said:

I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means but it's crazy to me that if your gaming like 10 plus hours a week and don't want to  upgrade your gaming hardware for a better experiance after 5-7 years, SSD plus going from 30 to 60fps makes your games look and play much  better and it really is small investment if you trade in your ps4-ps4 pro considering the upgrade will last you for 5 years easy. plus the exclusives are coming so why wait?

Admittedly, some people are late adopters. They may not have gotten a PS4 or Xbox One until at least 2019, if not 2020-present.

I don't disagree with you, though. If someone is spending hundreds if not over a thousand hours gaming a year plus spending hundreds or more USD to game it seems foolish not to move on because you think the next system doesn't have enough new features or next-gen only titles. You're investing so much of your time and money to game already, but you stubbornly won't get a new system by trading in your old or even keeping your old system and still buying the new system.

There are some people on this site and others still saying a Series X/S and PS5 aren't worth it yet as of July 2024. Unless you're thrifty, casual, or a late adopter, I don't get it. Take a game like Horizon: Zero Dawn. Taking a gaming PC out of the equation, it runs better on PS5 than a PS4 or PS4 Pro.

From Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4 & PS5 | Backwards Compatible (backwards-compatible.com)

Resolution: 2160c
Frame rate: 60 FPS
Improvements: LightingTexture FilteringDOFReflectionsLOD

Good point. I'm at 350 hours or so this year, maybe 50 more trying games that didn't gel so I have to wonder how much more time I would have gotten gaming instead of looking at a loading screen or waiting for boot up. What, 5%... 20 hours. It's gotta be 10-15 percent in Hogwarts legacy so that's probably low balling, could be up to 40 hours simply waiting to play which could be used gaming. Yeah... it's definitely time to upgrade. 

LegitHyperbole said:
Leynos said:

Oh yeah, I forgot physical games still exist, lol. How do you find these? Do you like keep up with reviews or what? Or buy something the looks good on the cover? 

It's the digital store that is the issue, I suppose I should have clarified that. 

I pay zero attention to reviews but keep in touch with what is released. Also imports.  A ton of arcade stuff ported and made for it. Tons of shmups and Saturn/Dreamcast and Genesis ports. Then of course Nintendo Directs themselves.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!