By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best part of 9th Gen consoles so far?

9th Gen (not counting switch) is...

Essential 1 3.33%

A good upgrade 8 26.67%

A poor upgrade 6 20.00%

Inessential 12 40.00%

No opinion. 3 10.00%

Total:30
LegitHyperbole said:
zeldaring said:

60fps on ps4 titles is massive upgrade, playing sekiro on ps4 pro and going to ps5 and damn does the pro feel janky. The astro bot game even though like 6-7 hours  to complete is great and the controller use really does make it feel like a nextgen console. ps5 is just also a much better console design wise its so quite, while pro is so loud, controller is much better after you get used to it.

Since you like challenging games, returnale is great. Really for someone who's gaming as much as you did, you really just wasted your time playing inferior versions with longer load times for no reason, since console hold their value and you could have just sold the pro, put 300$ and get ps5 with a bundled game, plus GTA6, spiderman 2, and BG3 are  probably worth it alone, but 60fps and better load times you should have sold your pro like i did right when you had the chance lol.

Now that's a sell. BG3 is the game I nearly upgraded to a Series S for and sure I'll have to get it for GTA6. Yeah, man. All those new QoL features would be a boon even while waiting for the true next gen games to arrive. The PRO is loud AF and overheats itself with newer games and I forgot all about the haptic triggers. I feel better about saving for this thing now, knowing my luck there'll be a pro announcement right after Black Friday though. 

Yea since you game so much your pro model is very old might  die anytime, so get rid of it while you still can and you can get maybe 180$ for it on offer up. As for ps5 pro that's a tough one, I have to see what kind of upgrades it provides and how it looks. it just doesn't feel like ps5 needs a upgrade but i always good to have options.

Around the Network

I like the feature on PS5 you can let a friend play anywhere in the world. He helped me out with a boss in a game. The quick resume on Series X is neat but sadly hot hardware-related. Series X has the best Dpad ever beating out the Saturn. The PS5 controller is nice. Other than that while I have a lot of games. So few of them seem to be any different than 8th-generation games in gameplay esp as most are cross-gen. Even the noncrossgen ones don't scream gameplay wise this can't be done before. Faster loading times are nice but is that it?  Rift Apart showed promise in a game mechanic. So few games have done that. What we got this gen is 30-40FPS with bad frame pacing in games like Dragon's Dogma 2 or FF16.

I have played games since the mid 80s and the first game I played was Superman on Atari 2600. Generations used to fill me with optimism and glee. This gen is mostly dread and gloom. Like the great depression. gaas gaas gaas. Killing ownership and layoffs. Where is the Dust Bowl?

Switch is still a better system than these 2 and the best system ongoing. Still getting good 3rd party stuff esp as a classic game fan but Stuff like TotK showed new mechanics thought impossible for modern hardware let alone Switch.

Last edited by Leynos - on 24 July 2024

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

G2ThaUNiT said:
zeldaring said:

60fps on ps4 titles is massive upgrade, playing sekiro on ps4 pro and going to ps5 and damn does the pro feel janky. The astro bot game even though like 6-7 hours  to complete is great and the controller use really does make it feel like a nextgen console. ps5 is just also a much better console design wise its so quite, while pro is so loud, controller is much better after you get used to it.

You kinda nailed it on the head at what this generation has been so far. An upgrade.

Nothing about this gen has really screamed "OMG I'VE SEEN WHAT THE FUTURE LOOKS LIKE!" or given me that sense of wonder from seeing what the next generation of gaming can be. I loved the hell out of Astro's Playroom, it's still the best PS5 game I've played, which I expect to be surpassed by Astro Bot here in less than 2 months and I honestly was pretty blown at how the controller was used in a way I haven't really experienced before, but that's the thing. You can count on your hand the number of games that have actually truly felt like a next-gen experience that wasn't just a better version of a last-gen title.

At the same time though, I can't really fault the industry on that. Seeing examples of how advanced Unreal Engine 5 is graphically, it kind of begs the question, where can gaming go? I feel like that's partly the reason why so many game companies are so focused on mobile games and live service games because there's not many more ways the medium can be pushed towards outside of focusing on something that's cheaper to make but makes a lot of money.

That's also why Nintendo is continuing to succeed. Rather than being the latest and greatest in computing tech, they've been focusing on what gaming should be first and foremost: fun. And providing hardware that compliments that philosophy. 

I think we're pretty much done with true generational leaps in gaming technology for the most part. Nothing will ever top going from 2D to 3D, then from counting 3D polygons to such smooth textures we couldn't even see the polygons anymore (like Metal Gear Solid 1 to Metal Gear Solid 2. Just a 3 year difference between those releases too) 

Nothing wrong with that though. Incremental improvements have definitely been welcomed, such as the introduction of SSDs this gen, minus the stupid increase in costs across the board, but that's where I think we'll primarily see improvements going forward. Under the hood that will make players go "oh that's nice to have!" rather than mindblowing improvements.

Hopefully this eventually means ballooning budgets can be brought in from the chase of photorealism, and game makers can go back to making fun and creative games. Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess by Capcom is a great example of what I mean.

It could have went the way of VR if they could have only advanced the tech in the window they had and developed true gaming titles for the medium instead of shooting galleries and experiences. Like, VR is mind blowing still if you haven't tried it but it's on the way out, it was the true next gen experience for us and probably the last we'll get until the industry tries AR or hopefully push VR again once the tech catches up. However there are many avenues for a generational wow factor and one is Ai, imagine having a world tailored to you in real time with real time NPC's who are programmed with altered versions of GPT's that we'll have in the near future. That'll blow minds. Then imagine that on a larger scale where the world procedurally generates itself to your actions and choices and keeps permanence. There are so many possibilities and it's just a matter of game dev taking a detour and training Ai to make the games. Devs will become like sculptors in a way, directors will have freedom like never before. Yes, Ai is in it's infancy now and needs time to get integrated but it's on the horizon. Might even be close enough that we'll see strands of it in 9th gen yet, if even fairly simple integrations. I've already seen rudimentary Voice chat based adventure games using AI NPC's as soon as GPT 3.5 dropped. 

Leynos said:

I like the feature on PS5 you can let a friend play anywhere in the world. He helped me out with a boss in a game. The quick resume on Series X is neat but sadly hot hardware-related. Series X has the best Dpad ever beating out the Saturn. The PS5 controller is nice. Other than that while I have a lot of games. So few of them seem to be any different than 8th-generation games in gameplay esp as most are cross-gen. Even the noncrossgen ones don't scream gameplay wise this can't be done before. Faster loading times are nice but is that it?  Rift Apart showed promise in a game mechanic. So few games have done that. What we got this gen is 30-40FPS with bad frame pacing in games like Dragon's Dogma 2 or FF16.

I have played games since the mid 80s and the first game I played was Superman on Atari 2600. Generations used to fill me with optimism and glee. This gen is mostly dread and gloom. Like the great depression. gaas gaas gaas. Killing ownership and layoffs. Where is the Dust Bowl?

Switch is still a better system than these 2 and the best system ongoing. Still getting good 3rd party stuff esp as a classic game fan but Stuff like TotK showed new mechanics thought impossible for modern hardware let alone Switch.

See my comment to G2ThaUNIT above, says pretty much what I wanted to reply here. 

G2ThaUNiT said:
zeldaring said:

You kinda nailed it on the head at what this generation has been so far. An upgrade.

Nothing about this gen has really screamed "OMG I'VE SEEN WHAT THE FUTURE LOOKS LIKE!" or given me that sense of wonder from seeing what the next generation of gaming can be. I loved the hell out of Astro's Playroom, it's still the best PS5 game I've played, which I expect to be surpassed by Astro Bot here in less than 2 months and I honestly was pretty blown at how the controller was used in a way I haven't really experienced before, but that's the thing. You can count on your hand the number of games that have actually truly felt like a next-gen experience that wasn't just a better version of a last-gen title.

At the same time though, I can't really fault the industry on that. Seeing examples of how advanced Unreal Engine 5 is graphically, it kind of begs the question, where can gaming go? I feel like that's partly the reason why so many game companies are so focused on mobile games and live service games because there's not many more ways the medium can be pushed towards outside of focusing on something that's cheaper to make but makes a lot of money.

That's also why Nintendo is continuing to succeed. Rather than being the latest and greatest in computing tech, they've been focusing on what gaming should be first and foremost: fun. And providing hardware that compliments that philosophy. 

I think we're pretty much done with true generational leaps in gaming technology for the most part. Nothing will ever top going from 2D to 3D, then from counting 3D polygons to such smooth textures we couldn't even see the polygons anymore (like Metal Gear Solid 1 to Metal Gear Solid 2. Just a 3 year difference between those releases too) 

Nothing wrong with that though. Incremental improvements have definitely been welcomed, such as the introduction of SSDs this gen, minus the stupid increase in costs across the board, but that's where I think we'll primarily see improvements going forward. Under the hood that will make players go "oh that's nice to have!" rather than mindblowing improvements.

Hopefully this eventually means ballooning budgets can be brought in from the chase of photorealism, and game makers can go back to making fun and creative games. Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess by Capcom is a great example of what I mean.

I don't mind it as long we keep getting quality games. For example astrobot was great and yea it was nextgen experiance cause of the controller use was like nothing i have experianced before but i still had more fun as with elden ring and RE4 remake so its not that big deal. Creativity is great but being a fun game is just a important. 

As for nintendo they  really got creative for i guess zelda, other then that labo and motion control stuff that i dont care about, but most of their franchises are still the  just upgraded versions just like everyone else is in the industry. To be frank VR was suppose to be the OMG I'VE SEEN WHAT THE FUTURE LOOKS LIKE but no one cared.

Around the Network

The ninth gen's main upgrade for me was the use of solid-state hard drives. What a difference that makes.

LegitHyperbole said:
Leynos said:

See my comment to G2ThaUNIT above, says pretty much what I wanted to reply here. 

None of that AI shit taking jobs away thanks. 

Leynos said:
LegitHyperbole said:

It won't in large part, it'll shift jobs around, disrupt them as they say. Developers will still be needed, artists will still be needed. We'll... I suppose it will take QA testers jobs and that but that's the price of advancing tech. Cars took horse handlers jobs. The printing press took scribes jobs. Phone routing tech took woman computer jobs. And so on and so on. Disruption is the price of progress in technology.  How many people worked in coal mines or as whalers for candle oil only to have land oil drills make there jobs redundant or so much less important. 

zeldaring said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

I don't mind it as long we keep getting quality games. For example astrobot was great and yea it was nextgen experiance cause of the controller use was like nothing i have experianced before but i still had more fun as with elden ring and RE4 remake so its not that big deal. Creativity is great but being a fun game is just a important. 

As for nintendo they  really got creative for i guess zelda, other then that labo and motion control stuff that i dont care about, but most of their franchises are still the  just upgraded versions just like everyone else is in the industry. To be frank VR was suppose to be the OMG I'VE SEEN WHAT THE FUTURE LOOKS LIKE but no one cared.

That's fair, but it also goes along with my point as to how the generation has gone nearly 4 years in, Elden Ring and RE4 remake were also released on last gen systems. So getting the games on PS5 is simply a better version of a last gen title. At this point, who knows when last gen systems will finally be dropped. But I get you on a game being fun is just as important, if honestly not even more important, than a game being creative. 

We've certainly had plenty of amazing games for sure, but the excitement at the thought of a "next-gen" system has been soured compared to previous gens. 

Yeah, playing Half-Life: Alyx has really been the biggest OMG moment I've had in recent years, aside from Astro, but seeing how much of the industry has turned into primarily safe bets because of how much game development costs are these days, all in the continuous chase of bigger, grander, and more photorealistic, means VR doesn't get the necessary investment it needs to truly take off. Even a major platform holder like Sony doesn't really have many resources invested to properly support their VR headset. Not to mention the additional costs needed to play VR in the first place that's also holding it back. Less and less people have the disposable income for such an investment. That's why standalone products such as Meta Quest are always the best selling VR headsets.

I get what you mean for some of Nintendo's franchises, but I wouldn't want to discredit the emphasis on creativity and fun Nintendo still pushes. Mario, despite the many jokes of how many games Nintendo with him, put out 2 incredibly creative and fun Mario games on the Switch. Odyssey, despite being a traditional 3D platformer, added an entirely new gameplay mechanic with Mario's hat that made the familiar Mario gameplay feel fresh again. Then just last year with Mario Wonder where he quite literally is on an acid trip and the environments come to life. Nintendo took an old 2D side scrolling formula, and made it feel new again. Splatoon, a third person shooter with a very creative and fun twist to the genre that has now become a major franchise. Arms, a fighting game that added a creative twist to the genre where the players have to account for distance and abilities each fighter has. Or even Kirby and the Forgotten Land, a franchise that had never seen a proper 3D release before is able to see a straight up fun game and adds new abilities to the character we hadn't seen before.

A lot of times when it comes to developers talking about games they worked on decades ago, you'll often hear them talking about the technical limitations of the respective system for a specific game, then they'll explain how they had to come up with creative ways to get a game to work. We're now at a point where developers have all the power in the world to make whatever they want. In many ways it feels like limitations breeds creativity and innovation rather than the other way around. That may be a big reason as to why the Switch or even the Wii, despite so severely unpowered compared to the competition, were able to release such creative games with an emphasis on fun. Because they have to be. 

LegitHyperbole said:
Leynos said:

It won't in large part, it'll shift jobs around, disrupt them as they say. Developers will still be needed, artists will still be needed. We'll... I suppose it will take QA testers jobs and that but that's the price of advancing tech. Cars took horse handlers jobs. The printing press took scribes jobs. Phone routing tech took woman computer jobs. And so on and so on. Disruption is the price of progress in technology.  How many people worked in coal mines or as whalers for candle oil only to have land oil drills make there jobs redundant or so much less important. 

https://archive.is/pEW2S

No AI bullshit. Artists should be artists and voice actors should be voice actors. Writers should be writers. Fuck all the layoffs. FUCK AI BULLSHIT.

Last edited by Leynos - on 24 July 2024