By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best part of 9th Gen consoles so far?

9th Gen (not counting switch) is...

Essential 1 3.33%

A good upgrade 8 26.67%

A poor upgrade 6 20.00%

Inessential 12 40.00%

No opinion. 3 10.00%

Total:30

I'm playing Hogwarts Legacy tight now and while the game is great it's brought down by loading screens on PS4 pro. Like there's a good chance you can spend 4 out of 10 minutes of gameplay on loading screens if you're fast traveling around to get stuff done. I'm considering upgrading come Black Friday for the load speeds alone. What other features are good about the 9th gen? Cause from looking at it, it's certainly not the games and I hear often (at least for ps5) that PS4 versions run better. The boxes are also extremely large and power consuming and the hard drive space is a significant downgrade as well as the possibility of not having the possibility to buy a disk if I want. 

What's the sell here. Why am I needing an upgrade outside of the loading convenience? 

Around the Network

Yeah as someone who has been gaming since the 4th gen, the PS5 and Xbox Series are easily the most boring new generation in my lifetime.

The reduction in load times is nice and all, (that would be my "best part" if I had to choose) but the graphical leap over PS4/XBO is underwhelming, and 3.5 years in there's still hardly any exciting exclusives; they feel more like a second mid-gen revision of the 8th gen twins than their own generation.

I am the odd man out, but I think ps4 to ps5 was a bigger jump than ps3 to ps4. Graphically the resolution, lighting, particle, HDR, volumetric were all massive upgrades. Graphically Demon Souls Remakes is such a massive upgrade compared to Souls 3. I think people are underselling the graphical jump for true 9th gen exclusives.

The problem with the 9th generation is how slow game releases are.

Edit

I think all the cross-generation releases have given people the impression the graphical jump is small.  I don't think it is, after playing Rift, Returnal, Demon, etc.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

I am the odd man out, but I think ps4 to ps5 was a bigger jump than ps3 to ps4. Graphically the resolution, lighting, particle, HDR, volumetric were all massive upgrades. Graphically Demon Souls Remakes is such a massive upgrade compared to Souls 3. I think people are underselling the graphical jump for true 9th gen exclusives.

If even coming from the mid gen PRO? Idk, man. If you look at the last of us compared to the last of us 2 (both released at gens end) there is an insane jump there but if you look say Uncharted 4 to Demon souls which are both linear games released close to the start of gen, it's not as apparent. I do see MH wilds though and that looks like it could change minds.

Black Myth Wo Kong soon and if the monsters look as good as advertised then perhaps you may be right and if we start seeing more Unreal 5 games and they can get them running as well as on PC then you may most definitely be right. 

Still, you think the upgrade is big from PS4 PRO/XSX or just the base consoles?

curl-6 said:

Yeah as someone who has been gaming since the 4th gen, the PS5 and Xbox Series are easily the most boring new generation in my lifetime.

The reduction in load times is nice and all, (that would be my "best part" if I had to choose) but the graphical leap over PS4/XBO is underwhelming, and 3.5 years in there's still hardly any exciting exclusives; they feel more like a second mid-gen revision of the 8th gen twins than their own generation.

Yeah, it gives pause to think will there even be generations anymore and instead just newer models like upgrading a PC. 

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

If even coming from the mid gen PRO? Idk, man. If you look at the last of us compared to the last of us 2 (both released at gens end) there is an insane jump there but if you look say Uncharted 4 to Demon souls which are both linear games released close to the start of gen, it's not as apparent. I do see MH wilds though and that looks like it could change minds.

Black Myth Wo Kong soon and if the monsters look as good as advertised then perhaps you may be right and if we start seeing more Unreal 5 games and they can get them running as well as on PC then you may most definitely be right. 

I came from a ps4 pro and I find the jump massive.  It could be panel quality, I have a 120 hz OLED 55 inch screen.  

I do genuinely believe the problem with high end hardware is panel quality is an absolute requirement, it isn't optional anymore.  

As an extreme example, a 4090 is going to do nothing on a 17 inch 60 hz panel.  So not only is high end hardware expensive, but quality panels are expensive as well.  Which I think is driving people to Steam Deck and Switch units.  Most people, and rightfully so, don't want to be invested 5k to get the best.    

edit

and to be clear I am disappointed with the ps5 from a software perspective.  Just not enough games.  And certainly, no real exclusives.  I basically haven't turned my ps5 on in months and have gone PC.  I figure with PC I get a xbox series x and a ps5 and PC exclusives and emulation for classics.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 24 July 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
LegitHyperbole said:

I came from a ps4 pro and I find the jump massive.  It could be panel quality, I have a 120 hz OLED 55 inch screen.  

I do genuinely believe the problem with high end hardware is panel quality is an absolute requirement, it isn't optional anymore.  

As an extreme example, a 4090 is going to do nothing on a 17 inch 60 hz panel.  So not only is high end hardware expensive, but quality panels are expensive as well.  Which I think is driving people to Steam Deck and Switch units.  Most people, and rightfully so, don't want to be invested 5k to get the best.    

edit

and to be clear I am disappointed with the ps5 from a software perspective.  Just not enough games.  And certainly, no real exclusives.  I basically haven't turned my ps5 on in months and have gone PC.  I figure with PC I get a xbox series x and a ps5 and PC exclusives and emulation for classics.  

Panel quality is important, I recently upgraded my TV but it's the HDR that makes the difference. 4k is 4k, there isn't going to be a substantial leap from a midrange TV to a high end TV. HDR on PRO already makes some games look like they were Remastered. I suppose I'll have to wait till Novemever to find out for myself. Did you upgrade your TV when you got a PS5 cause like you said it may be the TV and not the generation leap.

With that said, Unreal 5 does look revolutionary, just a pity it's taking so long for not only devs to release games taking full advantage of it but competitors releasing their own propierty engines that will work similarly. Like, I can't imagine what Naughty Dog would do with something like Unreal 5. When that day comes it'll be one heck of a leap I suspect. 

LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

edit

Panel quality is important, I recently upgraded my TV but it's the HDR that makes the difference. 4k is 4k, there isn't going to be a substantial leap from a midrange TV to a high end TV. HDR on PRO already makes some games look like they were Remastered. I suppose I'll have to wait till Novemever to find out for myself. Did you upgrade your TV when you got a PS5 cause like you said it may be the TV and not the generation leap.

With that said, Unreal 5 does look revolutionary, just a pity it's taking so long for not only devs to release games taking full advantage of it but competitors releasing their own propierty engines that will work similarly. Like, I can't imagine what Naughty Dog would do with something like Unreal 5. When that day comes it'll be one heck of a leap I suspect. 

I upgraded the TV when I had a ps4 pro.  For me the lighting on the ps5 is a massive jump.  But I think having a high contrast ratio is key to get that benefit.  120 hz, like in rift, is also a huge upgrade but requires 120 hz TV.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

I think the SSD was the biggest thing for this gen of consoles. Whenever I return to a PS4 or Xb1, the load times feel ridiculous. I think a big problem with this gen is devs reluctance to abandon the PS4, which makes this gen feel less "unique" for lack of a better word.

NobleTeam360 said:

I think the SSD was the biggest thing for this gen of consoles. Whenever I return to a PS4 or Xb1, the load times feel ridiculous. I think a big problem with this gen is devs reluctance to abandon the PS4, which makes this gen feel less "unique" for lack of a better word.

And they're getting longer and more frequent. Seeing Howarts legacy having in game real time buffering on doors is absolutely insane.