By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which was the better gen in your opinion?

Wii/PS3/360/DS/PSP 54 66.67%

Wii U/PS4/XBO/3DS/Vita 27 33.33%

Total:81
curl-6 said:

It's typically the early years of a generation where new boundaries are being pushed;

It was* typically. Clearly not the case anymore. I'm sure the best looking PS5 games are still 2 or 3 years away 

Switch being the exception as the best looking games were released first after launch 

That's said I disagree early PS4 games lacking significantly better looking games compared to PS3. They are far far better looking

PS5 is the console with insignificant leap over PS4 with almost all its lineup being clearly PS4 games, but played on PS5 with better resolution and framerate 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

God of War 2018 is a great looking game, but it came out 5 years into the generation; by then there were a lot of great looking PS4 games.

It's typically the early years of a generation where new boundaries are being pushed; back in 2006-2007, there was nothing else that looked like Gears of War, or Bioshock, or COD4, or Uncharted, they were pioneered uncharted territory in video game graphics and the jump from what most people were used to playing (PS2/OG Xbox/Gamecube) was absolutely massive.

order 1886 came out in 2015 and looked like CGI it was a massive leap, it just wasn't the complete package. Honestly as we get older things become less impressive since we  seen graphics jumps so many times it just hard to blow your mind away. I owned a dreamcast and xbox and resident evil 4 blew me even though i played all the impressive games on xbox, same with seeing GT3 and MGS2 Despite having a dreamcast. I think art style and franchise you enjoys play a massive role as well.

IcaroRibeiro said:
curl-6 said:

It's typically the early years of a generation where new boundaries are being pushed;

It was* typically. Clearly not the case anymore. I'm sure the best looking PS5 games are still 2 or 3 years away 

Switch being the exception as the best looking games were released first after launch 

That's said I disagree early PS4 games lacking significantly better looking games compared to PS3. They are far far better looking

PS5 is the console with insignificant leap over PS4 with almost all its lineup being clearly PS4 games, but played on PS5 with better resolution and framerate 

I wasn't talking about the best looking games on a given system, those naturally come later once devs learn to maximise the technology, I was referring to the leap forward that usually comes at the start of a generation, where new hardware enables new levels of graphics never seen before. This was much less of a thing with the last generation transition, I agree, the first 9th gen game to really wow me was Hellblade II.

As for Switch, later games like Metroid Prime Remastered and Luigi's Mansion 3 look better than anything in its first two years.

And I never said PS4 wasn't a significant leap over PS3; it clearly was, it's just that the leap from Xbox/PS2 to PS3/360 was bigger in my eyes.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

God of War 2018 is a great looking game, but it came out 5 years into the generation; by then there were a lot of great looking PS4 games.

It's typically the early years of a generation where new boundaries are being pushed; back in 2006-2007, there was nothing else that looked like Gears of War, or Bioshock, or COD4, or Uncharted, they were pioneered uncharted territory in video game graphics and the jump from what most people were used to playing (PS2/OG Xbox/Gamecube) was absolutely massive.

order 1886 came out in 2015 and looked like CGI it was a massive leap, it just wasn't the complete package. Honestly as we get older things become less impressive since we  seen graphics jumps so many times it just hard to blow your mind away. I owned a dreamcast and xbox and resident evil 4 blew me even though i played all the impressive games on xbox, same with seeing GT3 and MGS2 Despite having a dreamcast. I think art style and franchise you enjoys play a massive role as well.

The Order was very impressive visually and one of the 8th gen games that impressed me the most, I just found Gears in 2006 or Bioshock/Uncharted/COD4 in 2007 to be an even bigger jump.

curl-6 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I wasn't talking about the best looking games on a given system, those naturally come later once devs learn to maximise the technology, I was referring to the leap forward that usually comes at the start of a generation, where new hardware enables new levels of graphics never seen before. This was much less of a thing with the last generation transition, I agree, the first 9th gen game to really wow me was Hellblade II.

As for Switch, later games like Metroid Prime Remastered and Luigi's Mansion 3 look better than anything in its first two years.

And I never said PS4 wasn't a significant leap over PS3; it clearly was, it's just that the leap from Xbox/PS2 to PS3/360 was bigger in my eyes.

zeldaring said:

The Order was very impressive visually and one of the 8th gen games that impressed me the most, I just found Gears in 2006 or Bioshock/Uncharted/COD4 in 2007 to be an even bigger jump.

I understand what you are saying, just saying age really does play a factor for me anyway, as you get older, games just don't take over your mind like they did as a kid, or teen. Same with graphics, even though we reached cgi graphics with ps4, and differently  a big jump then say dreamcast to ps2 but I was blown away by resident evil 4, gt3, and mgs2 despite not being generational jump so for me anyway there is alot of factors to judging graphics jump.

curl-6 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

zeldaring said:

And Gears is an actual game instead of an interactive cutscene.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
curl-6 said:

zeldaring said:

It was extremely short game but it wasn't just a interactive cutscene, it showed what ps4 could do graphically and later games did surpass those graphics. 

Leynos said:
curl-6 said:

zeldaring said:

Yeah the game itself didn't impress me at all, I was referring only to the graphics as being impressive. Same goes for Killzone Shadowfall and Ryse Son of Rome, the 8th gen's main graphical showcases at launch.

At least stuff like Gears of War, Bioshock, Uncharted, COD4, etc were actually great games.

curl-6 said:
Leynos said:

Yeah the game itself didn't impress me at all, I was referring only to the graphics as being impressive. Same goes for Killzone Shadowfall and Ryse Son of Rome, the 8th gen's main graphical showcases at launch.

At least stuff like Gears of War, Bioshock, Uncharted, COD4, etc were actually great games.

That's the thing. Visuals are nice but when gameplay is sacrificed then what the fuck is the point. Others you mentioned are full-fledged games that use a lot of resources but are still managed from both a technical and art direction be impressive. I'm more impressed with Xenoblade X than Boring 1886. Not because I think it looks better on pure technical aspect. I was impressed Monolith made that game with Wii U hardware and 1GB of ram and it was far more stable than Fallout 4.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
curl-6 said:

That's the thing. Visuals are nice but when gameplay is sacrificed then what the fuck is the point. Others you mentioned are full-fledged games that use a lot of resources but are still managed from both a technical and art direction be impressive. I'm more impressed with Xenoblade X than Boring 1886. Not because I think it looks better on pure technical aspect. I was impressed Monolith made that game with Wii U hardware and 1GB of ram and it was far more stable than Fallout 4.

Yeah Xenoblade Chronicles X was one of the most impressive games of the 8th gen for me in how they managed to make such a massive and beautiful open world that you can fly through at high speeds with no loading screens on just 1GB of RAM. A real feat of engineering.

Leynos said:
curl-6 said:

Not sure how you can be more impressed from a graphical perspective when order 1886 achieved cgi graphics in real time for the first time ever and there are games on 360/ps3 that are more impressive them xenoblade x even when talking about open world games, making a living breathing big city is the most technically demanding thing in game development and requires massive budgets. Of course this comes down to art style and a franchise you probably love so it plays a role as well.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 17 July 2024