By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed, and other AAA titles bomb on iPhone/iPad

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

I Mean even with the decline of Xbox, ps5 is barely ahead of ps4. All you have to do is look at pc gaming sales to see where gamers are moving.

PS5 selling on par with PS4 is a good thing; PS4 is one of the highest selling consoles ever. If PC was really stealing Playstation's audience en masse, PS5 would be tracking way less than PS4.

Consoles will be fine, there's room for both PC and consoles on the market and there has been since the 1980s.

Consoles will be fine but I see them in a declining market.

Around the Network

Good, videogames are meant to be played on a console with a controller

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

PS5 selling on par with PS4 is a good thing; PS4 is one of the highest selling consoles ever. If PC was really stealing Playstation's audience en masse, PS5 would be tracking way less than PS4.

Consoles will be fine, there's room for both PC and consoles on the market and there has been since the 1980s.

It's skewed with the XBox declining.

85% of games revenue is from F2P btw

For PC for 2022 it's 23.66B from F2P 52.6%
For consoles for 2022 it's 3.55B from F2P 11.8%

Then there is GAAS the next biggest driver of PC Game revenue.

Pay 2 Play is also growing on PC, but far less and is still way behind consoles.

Most developers might prefer PC, but the focus is different between PC and console games.

Consoles will be fine, still the best place to launch pay 2 play games.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

The console market is declining? The NSW and PS5 have sent annual hardware figures to some of their highest levels, wdym?

Best games to play on ipad/iphone are racing games. Or with game pass streaming (ipad better)

BiON!@ 

Around the Network

Bloody hell; less than 2000 people bought RE7 on iOS.

https://www.eurogamer.net/resident-evil-7-has-reportedly-flopped-on-ios-with-under-2000-sales

This is a bomb of utterly epic proportions. Makes Hellblade II look like GTA5.

They should have put the development costs in PSVR2 and PCVR versions of RE7 instead.

I'd love to play it again in VR with higher resolution than PSVR1.

Conina said:

They should have put the development costs in PSVR2 and PCVR versions of RE7 instead.

I'd love to play it again in VR with higher resolution than PSVR1.

That will sell a lot more than 2,000 copies. Port the VR controls back from RE8 and you have another winner.

Maybe Meta can throw some money at it to get the ball rolling. Quest 3 should be able to handle PSVR1 games.
(But you can already play it through VR mods on PCVR, which makes it harder to charge money for a proper optimized VR conversion)

I guess with the PSVR2 PC adapter coming, you can play RE7 on PSVR2 with a powerful PC (3080 recommended)

Soooo... I recently got a new iPad with M2 SoC. No, not the new iPad Air 2024 but the iPad Pro 2022 instead.

The new Air is 10% lighter and supports the new Pencil, but IMHO the "old" iPad Pro has a lot of advantages:

• miniLED instead of IPS display (better blacks, higher brightness, HDR)
  • 120 Hz instead of 60 Hz
  • 4 instead of 2 speakers... great sound!
  • 16 GB RAM (2 TB model) instead of 8 GB RAM
  • a few percent faster according to benchmarks
  • Face ID
  • better cameras

Of course I connected a bluetooth controller and tested the demo versions of Resident Evil 7, Resident Evil Village, Resident Evil 4 Remake, Assassin's Creed Mirage and Alien Isolation (Death Stranding doesn't have a demo version).

They all perform good (for a mobile device)... but most of these games I prefer to play on my Steam Deck OLED.

Sure, the M2 iPad renders Resident Evil Village in 1920x1440 with maxed settings and good fps, the Steam Deck only in 1280x720, but the lighting on the Steam Deck OLED is still better (both were running HDR mode):

And the problem for most iOS games is: hardware released after the game doesn't get adjuted game settings. For example my favorite iOS game of 2018: "The Room: Old Sins". The PC port has much better lighting, the iOS version is stuck to the old game settings:

And of course, most AAA games aren't ported to iOS... or only as inferior version:

A PC handheld for a fraction of the price has a much much bigger library of supported AAA games. And when you upgrade that PC handheld, you can play most games in higher settings instantly.

That said, there are a lot of games which I prefer on a tablet over a tiny handheld-screen.

The prime example is Civilization 6... all small texts, objects and icons are much better readable, the bigger input area is also quite comfortable. Calculating the next turn is also quite fast thanks to the M2:

And of course my favorite genre: point & click adventures:

Especially the classics with a 4:3 aspect ratio:

Last edited by Conina - on 15 August 2024