By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed, and other AAA titles bomb on iPhone/iPad

https://mobilegamer.biz/those-assassins-creed-resident-evil-and-death-stranding-ports-have-bombed/

There was much talk last year over the news that AAA console titles such as Assassin's Creed Mirage, Resident Evil 4 and 7, and Death Stranding would be coming to high end iPhones and iPads.

Well, turns out they bombed. With RE4 for instance, it's estimated only around 15k people paid to unlock the full game in 6 months, while under 3000 people bought AC Mirage.

Looks like phones won't be replacing consoles any time soon.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 26 June 2024

Around the Network

Makes sense. For starters people who play games on phones are a different demographic.

Not to mention AAA games run like dog **** on a phone.

I have zero idea why anyone in their right mind thought AAA to phones was a big news story.

So much for the big 3 needing to fear Apple and their magical M1 chipsets.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 26 June 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

curl-6 said:

https://mobilegamer.biz/those-assassins-creed-resident-evil-and-death-stranding-ports-have-bombed/

A big deal was made last year over the news that AAA console titles such as Assassin's Creed Mirage, Resident Evil 4 and 7, and Death Stranding would be coming to high end iPhones and iPads.

Well, turns out they bombed. RE4 for instance saw just 15k full downloads in 6 months, while under 3000 people bought AC Mirage.

If its not turn-based..... playing something heavily action related on a phone just seems like a bad experiance.
Same with RE4.... who wants to play a horror game shooter, on a phone on a bus? train? at work on your lunch break...

Needs to be turn based, needs to have plenty of save points/save anytime, when its a phone version imo.
That or the gameplay loop needs to be really short. Like a small tower defense game or such, games with short duration play time levels.

AAA games on a phone,.... yeah thats a big "why?" from me.
(that needs to be done at home, infront of a big TV, with a controller in hand)

So I'm not surprised they didn't sell much.

Not surprised.

Most apple users aren't tech savy. So getting the too use complex controls will be a turn off no matter if the hardwaree could run he game or not

Around the Network

Where is Soundwave at, he was going on how this is the future and would kill consoles and pc.

JRPGfan said:
curl-6 said:

A big deal was made last year over the news that AAA console titles such as Assassin's Creed Mirage, Resident Evil 4 and 7, and Death Stranding would be coming to high end iPhones and iPads.

Well, turns out they bombed. RE4 for instance saw just 15k full downloads in 6 months, while under 3000 people bought AC Mirage.

If its not turn-based..... playing something heavily action related on a phone just seems like a bad experiance.
Same with RE4.... who wants to play a horror game shooter, on a phone on a bus? train? at work on your lunch break...

Needs to be turn based, needs to have plenty of save points/save anytime, when its a phone version imo.
That or the gameplay loop needs to be really short. Like a small tower defense game or such, games with short duration play time levels.

AAA games on a phone,.... yeah thats a big "why?" from me.
(that needs to be done at home, infront of a big TV, with a controller in hand)

So I'm not surprised they didn't sell much.

Even on good handhelds AAA gaming is pretty niche, if it was in high demand steam deck and other handhelds  would be doing much better.

Maybe it could be poor marketing. What AAA games have made it big on iPhones?

Check this Game  Flip Runner

zeldaring said:

Where is Soundwave at, he was going on how this is the future and would kill consoles and pc.

This bombed harder than Hellblade 2?

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

This bombed harder than Hellblade 2?

Not sure if this is a joke but you can't really compare them imo. Basically apple lost money in paying for the ports and helllade 2 probably lost way more money.