By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First trailer for Metroid Prime 4: Beyond, coming 2025

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

Samus's beam does seem to cast dynamic lights in the current footage, which judging by its 900p nature (as counted by multiple sources) can be assumed to be Switch 1 capture.

But yeah there's definitely room for this to be expanded upon with a generational leap in processing power, same goes for texture quality.

I wouldn't expect it to be a next gen showcase as a game that has its roots in circa 2015 mobile hardware, but still, it's an impressive feat in engineering and art design considering what they've managed to squeeze from such meagre specs, and I expect it will have a lot more room to breathe on successor hardware where they can greatly boost resolution and possibly also texture fidelity.

If we look at this screenshot that I grabbed from the trailer, we can literally see that weapons fire is not adding light to the scene, the ground and other materials remain their same shade.
This occurs all throughout the trailer and isn't a once off.

The reason it doesn't seem to be casting a light here is because the radius of the dynamic light doesn't reach as far as the objects around it; when it passes close over the metal barrier in the gif I posted, you can see that it lights it up:

To maintain performance they seem to have reduced the distance that the blasts cast light

Around the Network

I'll be interested to see if this Metroid game is a lot more "active" then other Metroid games. Normally you get a sense of isolation in Metroid games. The trailer made it feel more like an action shooter than an exploration shooter.

curl-6 said:

The reason it doesn't seem to be casting a light here is because the radius of the dynamic light doesn't reach as far as the objects around it; when it passes close over the metal barrier in the gif I posted, you can see that it lights it up:

To maintain performance they seem to have reduced the distance that the blasts cast light

The point is... The weapon *should* be casting light. It's balls of energy/light. The fact it's not is the very issue I am describing, the lighting is selective due to performance reasons.

Your Gif doesn't work.

Now in this shot, we have the blue weapons fire near the ground and the enemy impacted by the energy blaster, again... All flat lighting, nothing added to the scene.

I am going to assume there is a limitation to the number of lights depending on various loads in order to maintain 60fps.
But the dynamic lighting in Metroid Prime 4 is not it's strong point.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

The point is... The weapon *should* be casting light. It's balls of energy/light. The fact it's not is the very issue I am describing, the lighting is selective due to performance reasons.

Your Gif doesn't work.

Now in this shot, we have the blue weapons fire near the ground and the enemy impacted by the energy blaster, again... All flat lighting, nothing added to the scene.

I am going to assume there is a limitation to the number of lights depending on various loads in order to maintain 60fps.
But the dynamic lighting in Metroid Prime 4 is not it's strong point.

I wasn't arguing it was a strong point, it is clearly restrained in order to hit 60fps, all I was saying was that it is present; you can see it cast from her beam at 0:40 in the trailer and also later when the morph ball rolls through the tunnel section from 1:00.

Gif works for me.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

It really speaks to the talent of the people making this game that people mistook it for Switch 2 footage.

Great to see that the series tradition of pushing Nintendo hardware continue; Prime 1 and 2 were among the best looking games on Gamecube and Prime 3 was one of the best looking games on Wii.

This is looking like it could be one of those late-life games that really maxes out its system, a lot like BOTW and Fast Racing Neo on Wii U, God of War Ascension and TLOU on PS3, Halo 4 and Gears 3/Judgement on 360, TLOU2 on PS4, Gears 5 on Xbone, etc.

Did people really think it looked like a S2 game?  I can't say it looks next generation to me.  Don't get me wrong the game looks nice but not a generational leap. .

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

It really speaks to the talent of the people making this game that people mistook it for Switch 2 footage.

Great to see that the series tradition of pushing Nintendo hardware continue; Prime 1 and 2 were among the best looking games on Gamecube and Prime 3 was one of the best looking games on Wii.

This is looking like it could be one of those late-life games that really maxes out its system, a lot like BOTW and Fast Racing Neo on Wii U, God of War Ascension and TLOU on PS3, Halo 4 and Gears 3/Judgement on 360, TLOU2 on PS4, Gears 5 on Xbone, etc.

Did people really think it looked like a S2 game?  I can't say it looks next generation to me.  Don't get me wrong the game looks nice but not a generational leap. .

Switch doesn't really have any great looking shooters that look clean and 60fps so this stands out.

I don't think people thought it looked like a generational leap and more of a nicer version of a Switch 1 game.

Leynos said:

I don't think people thought it looked like a generational leap and more of a nicer version of a Switch 1 game.

Agreed.  And it is nice looking.  Textures are way better than Prime 1.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

If you know what to look for it's pretty evidently a Switch 1 game, but shortly after it was shown, I saw quite a few people on forums or social media comment that it "looked too good for Switch" or that we must be looking at the Switch 2 version, and that's a testament to the skill and hard work of the team at Retro.

They have a long history of technical excellence going all the way back to Prime 1 in 2002, and its great to see that continue.