By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First trailer for Metroid Prime 4: Beyond, coming 2025

I personally wouldn't expect the S2 to do much in terms of ray tracing. The ps5 is terrible at RT and even on my 4090 RT crushes framerate

RT has a strong future in gaming but it will be a while before we see the full benefits.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Absolutely.  And particles, volumetric really pop on a big screen with high contrast.  Via YouTube the visuals look subtle but in real play it can be quite impressive.

Yeah games will almost always look better on a TV than on Youtube.

I did find a higher quality version of the trailer with less compression: https://assets.nintendo.com/video/upload/Nintendo%20Direct/2024/06-18-2024/video/spotlight-04.mp4

Damn, that makes a big difference. It looks great in that video. I'm excited to see more :)

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

Given how aggressive Retro always are about achieving a flat 60fps, I can't see them going for RT reflections either if it would compromise performance.

That said, the Prime games have always pushed detail and fidelity, so I'd be surprised if the inevitable Switch 2 version was a simple up-res; maybe they'd thrown in some nice ultra-sharp textures and boosted geometry and draw distance as well, sort of like we see with some cross-gen first party PS4/5 titles.

Lots of room to move on the texture front, with the expected multiple increase in framebuffer storage.

They could add some lights to some of the weapon effects to influence the environments lighting considering they won't be limited by the Switch 1.0 hardware anymore.

But basically texture and resolution improvements is the most I would expect, which is more than what we got with most WiiU to Switch ports like Mario Kart 8, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Captain Toad and a heap of others.

Which is not a bad thing, cross-gen games tend to be fairly technically underwhelming on successors platform anyway... So better texturing and resolution will let the art pop anyway.

Samus's beam does seem to cast dynamic lights in the current footage, which judging by its 900p nature (as counted by multiple sources) can be assumed to be Switch 1 capture.

But yeah there's definitely room for this to be expanded upon with a generational leap in processing power, same goes for texture quality.

I wouldn't expect it to be a next gen showcase as a game that has its roots in circa 2015 mobile hardware, but still, it's an impressive feat in engineering and art design considering what they've managed to squeeze from such meagre specs, and I expect it will have a lot more room to breathe on successor hardware where they can greatly boost resolution and possibly also texture fidelity.

I remember someone on this forum expecting it to release in Summer 2018. And I expected it to be a few years later than that.
Didn't expect 7 years though.

Will probably be a cross-gen title or get a Switch 2 upgrade.

h2ohno said:

I wonder if that was actually Switch 2 footage. If not, it definitely looks to set a new standard for Switch visuals.

The white outline on this enemy is rather jaggy. I imagine Switch 2's anti-aliasing wouldn't have that issue.

Hiku said:

I remember someone on this forum expecting it to release in Summer 2018. And I expected it to be a few years later than that.
Didn't expect 7 years though.

Will probably be a cross-gen title or get a Switch 2 upgrade.

h2ohno said:

I wonder if that was actually Switch 2 footage. If not, it definitely looks to set a new standard for Switch visuals.

The white outline on this enemy is rather jaggy. I imagine Switch 2's anti-aliasing wouldn't have that issue.

They scrapped the game as they were not happy the direction it was progressing and started again from scratch and got retro onboard to work on it.

Trailer looks great and good to see that the decision to scrap it has paid off.

I did however like the music from the 2017 logo reveal lol, which felt more inline with the first three games. Hopefully they find a spot for it somewhere.

I also hope we get two versions, not just a patch for Switch 2. As a collector need t have both in my collection haha.

Around the Network

Metroid is my favorite Nintendo IP and has been for a very long time, so this makes me very happy. The fact that the trailer doesn't seem like they ventured too far away from the DNA of the original trilogy makes me even more happy. As long as they don't throw any unexpected curve balls between now and the launch of their next system, it looks like I'll be waiting in line for yet another new console... which is quite the feat. I thought those days were over.

Cobretti2 said:

I did however like the music from the 2017 logo reveal lol, which felt more inline with the first three games. Hopefully they find a spot for it somewhere.

That music was literally just the title screen from the first game.

edit: and personally I think the music we heard in the Prime 4 trailer was very much in-line with the other games. We got a new arrangement of the Space Pirates' theme like we've had in each of the Prime games so far, and a new song that has similar vibes to the likes of Torvus Bog and what not.

Yeah, the transition to new hardware for this game is most likely not gonna all the bells and whistles the next system will be packed with. Expecting an increase in resolution output, anti-aliasing, draw distance, a locked in 60 fps and maybe texture quality will be more than enough for the game.

Rest is up to the work on the game itself, it's mechanics, level design and the usual Metroid Prime feel most players will expect of it.

They'll have to cook with the actual Switch 2 capabilities when they get past this game for their next project.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

It really speaks to the talent of the people making this game that people mistook it for Switch 2 footage.

Great to see that the series tradition of pushing Nintendo hardware continue; Prime 1 and 2 were among the best looking games on Gamecube and Prime 3 was one of the best looking games on Wii.

This is looking like it could be one of those late-life games that really maxes out its system, a lot like BOTW and Fast Racing Neo on Wii U, God of War Ascension and TLOU on PS3, Halo 4 and Gears 3/Judgement on 360, TLOU2 on PS4, Gears 5 on Xbone, etc.

curl-6 said:

Samus's beam does seem to cast dynamic lights in the current footage, which judging by its 900p nature (as counted by multiple sources) can be assumed to be Switch 1 capture.

<SNIP>

But yeah there's definitely room for this to be expanded upon with a generational leap in processing power, same goes for texture quality.

I wouldn't expect it to be a next gen showcase as a game that has its roots in circa 2015 mobile hardware, but still, it's an impressive feat in engineering and art design considering what they've managed to squeeze from such meagre specs, and I expect it will have a lot more room to breathe on successor hardware where they can greatly boost resolution and possibly also texture fidelity.

If we look at this screenshot that I grabbed from the trailer, we can literally see that weapons fire is not adding light to the scene, the ground and other materials remain their same shade.
This occurs all throughout the trailer and isn't a once off.

Chrkeller said:

I personally wouldn't expect the S2 to do much in terms of ray tracing. The ps5 is terrible at RT and even on my 4090 RT crushes framerate

RT has a strong future in gaming but it will be a while before we see the full benefits.

Let's not judge AMD's inadequate implementation of hardware RT to nVidia's.

Remember AMD does Ray Traversals/BVH/Intersects etc' on it's shader hardware, nVidia doesn't, so nVidia's RT actually has lower overheads by default.

What AMD is trying to do is keep it's RT capabilities directly tied to it's shader clusters... AMD has always pushed compute extremely hard as it benefits other markets greatly like Folding, Mining and more, it's simpler and AMD can just duplicate hardware to scale up... But it also means it's just less efficient.

I would expect that the Switch 2.0 will have lower Ray Tracing throughput than the Series X, S and Playstation 5... But I would also expect it's impact to overall performance will also be smaller.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--