By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First trailer for Metroid Prime 4: Beyond, coming 2025

shavenferret said:

Nope....

When was the last time metroid had a 2d platformer?

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
shavenferret said:

Nope....

When was the last time metroid had a 2d platformer?

shavenferret, the great Metroid fan, shall one day be immortalized in the form of a Chozo statue, eternally awaiting all the "unreleased" 2D metroids that release in the passing of time.

The first part of the trailer is just the setup of the game.

The meat of Prim4, I believe will be time travel. Samus will travel back and forth with things changing in the present of things she experiences in the past. This will be the mechanics and exploration 'hook'.

The location? Tallon4! Samus always returns to a previously visited planet to have it blow up in the end.

I believe the end of the trailer is Tallon4 in the past.

Tober said:

The meat of Prim4, I believe will be time travel. Samus will travel back and forth with things changing in the present of things she experiences in the past. This will be the mechanics and exploration 'hook'.

The location? Tallon4! Samus always returns to a previously visited planet to have it blow up in the end.

This would be cool and very interesting, but it's hard to believe when you provide no information as to why you believe this. 

You mind providing some explanation as to why you believe that?

Doctor_MG said:
Tober said:

This would be cool and very interesting, but it's hard to believe when you provide no information as to why you believe this. 

The title logo is similar to the shape of a black hole. Time relativity / time travel. That’s a hint.

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:
Tober said:

Nintendo is always looking at a new twist with their games. As a search action game, they need to different things with exploration.

The first Prime had the first person perspective as a novelty, Prime2 had the light/dark world and Prime3 multiple planets. So they did this already, so something new needs to happen.

Time travel makes sense for me to have progression puzzles using the 2 time lines. Similar to Prime2's two dimensions.

Tallon4? Because Samus goes back to previous visited planets all the time (and blows them up). Essentially in a past time you could find the Chozo ruins, when they were not ruins yet and could meet chozo. I think Metroid likes to do call backs to previous games to keep the overall story focussed.

(No, I don't have an uncle working at Nintendo, so yes this is speculation)

Goddamn I have missed this series. I was in high school when Prime 3 released, and I'm 35 now.

I love how despite the nearly 20 year gap, they seem to have jumped right back in without missing a beat; from what we've seen so far they seem to have absolutely nailed the look, sound, and feel of the series.

I suspect Prime Remastered was invaluable in bringing them back up to speed and served as a great "practise run" for Prime 4.

Tober said:
Doctor_MG said:

Nintendo is always looking at a new twist with their games. As a search action game, they need to different things with exploration.

The first Prime had the first person perspective as a novelty, Prime2 had the light/dark world and Prime3 multiple planets. So they did this already, so something new needs to happen.

Time travel makes sense for me to have progression puzzles using the 2 time lines. Similar to Prime2's two dimensions.

Tallon4? Because Samus goes back to previous visited planets all the time (and blows them up). Essentially in a past time you could find the Chozo ruins, when they were not ruins yet and could meet chozo. I think Metroid likes to do call backs to previous games to keep the overall story focussed.

(No, I don't have an uncle working at Nintendo, so yes this is speculation)

Yeah ! 

And at the end Stylux, in the final battle that happens in the past timeline, ends up transforming into a weird purple terodactyl because of weird Chozo magic.

Thus Ridley is born and his eternal hatred for Samus.

/jk

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Prime 3 is my favorite Metroid game. It came out in that golden period where the Wii and its motion controls were fresh and exciting, and set a standard for FPS controls that I don't think have ever been topped. The grapple beam was also amazing. It was the first game that really showed that Wii games could look great if developers put in the work. I likely would not have become a Metroid fan without it after struggling with the original Prime as a kid.

h2ohno said:

Prime 3 is my favorite Metroid game. It came out in that golden period where the Wii and its motion controls were fresh and exciting, and set a standard for FPS controls that I don't think have ever been topped. The grapple beam was also amazing. It was the first game that really showed that Wii games could look great if developers put in the work. I likely would not have become a Metroid fan without it after struggling with the original Prime as a kid.

Totally agree, Prime 3 is fantastic.

To this day, no first person game feels as good to control, and despite being up against consoles a generation more powerful, it showed Wii games could still look good.

I feel like it got overshadowed somewhat by releasing in a year so stacked with standout games; 2007 also saw Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, Mass Effect, COD4, Portal, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Halo 3...