By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom out now on Switch

Valdney said:
HoloDust said:

I'm trying to like it, but this 2D Zelda is not - Echoes are trivializing combat, exploration and 2D Zelda's inherent Metroidvania core, with constant gameplay interruptions due to awful Echoes interface to find one you want.

Not a bad game, but what is interesting premise went way overboard - sometimes, less is more.

I cannot see myself playing this bad video game. Do people really think it is a cool thing to “break” a video game? It gets old fast. This game trivializes combat and traversal. One the best aspects of BotW to me was actually fighting the obstacles imposed by nature when trying to reach the top of a mountain or crossing a river. Then came TotK with its “abilities” and completely destroyed everything. EoW is now doing the same. Sad. 

I already had problems in BotW with climbing - it uses stamina, which can be replenished mid-climb by going into inventory (which pauses game) and using stamina food/elixir, which are made with resources that are pretty much constantly respawning in the world, so practically no cost there - which for me was first step in trivializing exploration. This was actually easily fixable, but they didn't do it, so whether you climb something or not was maybe a decision in first few hours of the game, later becoming moot point due to overabundance of resources.

As I said, Echoes of Tiresome is not a terrible game - but it is disheartening seeing Aonuma striking again with his "puzzle-time" take on everything and instead of making 2D Zelda better, pretty much trivializing most elements of what made it good.

Which actually is not that surprising, he never liked original Zelda, thinking it's too hard. What I'm worried about is that, in mindset in which he obviously is now, if he is tasked with overlooking OoT remake (which is speculated to be next Zelda), he will fuck that up too with his "fresh" ideas.

Around the Network

I’m really enjoying the game, I’m nearing the end now I think, just finished all 3 temples and heading for the forest, the only “negative” thing I will say is that I’m finding the game a bit too easy for my taste but aside from that the game is really fun, I love the whole echoes mechanic and binding!

I just reached the 5th temple, and I'm having a great time too. It's such a charming game, with personality in spades, and a lot of love clearly went into making it.

The seemingly never-ending stream of new echoes to play around with keeps things from ever getting stale, and it remains faithful to series staples without ever feeling limited by them.

Aside from the framerate fluctuations, I honestly have no real problems with it so far. It's definitely a departure from Link's adventures, but I appreciate that it tries something new and creative. It's not quite among the very best games in the franchise, but it's a worthy addition nonetheless.

curl-6 said:

It's definitely a departure from Link's adventures, but I appreciate that it tries something new and creative.

I don't mind the core idea, it's actually fairly good, but execution is, from my POV, quite bad.

The game is, as actually made, trivially easy, unexciting and very forgettable. I've played it for two weekends now, by the end of this one, I had to force myself to keep playing, so I'm not even sure if I will revisit it the next weekend.

I think Echoes is a weak game, in the franchise. It is a good game, but not Zelda quality. The dungeons are completely forgettable.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

I think Echoes is a weak game, in the franchise. It is a good game, but not Zelda quality. The dungeons are completely forgettable.

Yeah, dungeons are very forgettable, exploration is trivial, combat is banal. So far, this is 3/5 stars (6/10) at best for me, lowest I ever rated any Zelda.

HoloDust said:
Chrkeller said:

Yeah, dungeons are very forgettable, exploration is trivial, combat is banal. So far, this is 3/5 stars (6/10) at best for me, lowest I ever rated any Zelda.

100%.  Zelda is my favorite franchise, and I usually rip through new games in the series.  I still haven't beaten Echoes...  I will, but I can tell I am not hitting hard like I normally do with Zelda.  The game is ok.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

It's definitely a departure from Link's adventures, but I appreciate that it tries something new and creative.

I don't mind the core idea, it's actually fairly good, but execution is, from my POV, quite bad.

The game is, as actually made, trivially easy, unexciting and very forgettable. I've played it for two weekends now, by the end of this one, I had to force myself to keep playing, so I'm not even sure if I will revisit it the next weekend.

A shame it's not your thing; personally the challenge level's a good fit for me, and the pacing keeps the dopamine hits coming. I'm actually enjoying it more than some of Link's entries; I'm definitely having more fun here than I did with Wind Waker, A Link Between Worlds, or Link's Awakening for instance.