By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who do you believe is the most over rated developer?

waron said:
epic as a developer they didn't make even one good game since jazz jackrabbit.
bethesda because The Elder Scrolls series(without oblivion) and Echelon they didn't make any other good game.

If you are a typical Japanese gamer...I completely agree with you. For the rest of us however Epic makes great games.

Around the Network

Wow, I forgot bungie was their own company, then forgot they made games before Halo.

I remember Myst now... wow holy wow - talk about brain washed.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Square. Call me once their games evolve past "Push button, watch CG". They should be making movies, not games. I wish they would explore new gameplay ideas and less girly/AIDS-looking characters with the mountains of cash they have.

The question you asked is who "is" the more over-rated, not who "was", but if I could go back, I would have to say Origin.

They made a few good games, but they made a lot of crap too.

waron said:
bethesda because The Elder Scrolls series(without oblivion) and Echelon they didn't make any other good game.

Five or six million Gears owners disagree

OT:

I have lots!

Square Enix:  You're not that good.  You can't keep people waiting forever for a game.  Losers

BioWare:  Seems like their games get a pass just because they have a good storyline.  Mass Effect takes for-fucking-ever to load textures, but the game still has a metacritic of 91.  Have you seen the textures load on that game?  Not saying it wasn't awesome, but it's all the time.  And KOTOR too.  That game had a slipshod frame-rate that was forgiven.  And then, every game is this whole Light/Dark; Renegade/Paragon thing, and no one cares that it's the same good/evil thing every game.  

Bethesda:  I loved Oblivion, but the game is overrated.  The storyline is weak, as is the gameplay, the leveling up is crap too.  The only reason I completed oblivion was because I had nothing else to play when the game came out.

And Bungie:  Yes marathon was awesome, but Halo 2 and 3 were some of the most overrated FPSs in the history of the world, and have done nothing else beside bring some really good matchmaking to the 360.

/end rant.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
BluJay said:
Rockstar by far. Grand Theft Auto is the most overrated series ever. San Andreas sold about 15 million copies. There are a lot of better games out there that are fully made and deliver on all accounts and not just on open ended gameplay.

They basically created an entirely new (and massively popular) genre just 6 years ago. Other developers are still playing catchup and by all acounts, GTA IV is going to set the bar even higher and make it harder for others to keep up.

Do they deserve 15m in sales for San Andreas? Maybe, maybe not. It didn't really push the envelope far enough past GTA III IMO. Are they overrated? Hell no.

BTW, I'll throw my hat in on a developer no one has mentioned in the thread:

id software. What have they done in the past decade?

A lot of people like ToastyJaguar and rocketpig don't seem to understand what "overrated" is so I'll go over the two qualities (IMO) that make developers overrated:

1) Popularity. In order to be overrated the developer must be highly rated by someone. Sonic Team doesn't qualify because outside the few diehard Sonic fans left, no one highly rates them.

2) Poor games. In order to be overrated the developer must have made quite a few crappy games.

Developers that succeed by the virtue of a single franchise and put out a lot of crappy secondary games like Rockstar are the definition of overrated to me because outside of one single hit IP/franchise they generally don't put out quality anything. Bethesda is overrated (IMO) because I don't really care for the games they make despite their high popularity. Squeenix is overrated because it feels like they're riding on brand recognition more than actual quality these days.

NINTENDO !!!! ( j/k ) :P

Seriously , mine would be Lionhead ... Ptere Molyneuxs games where awesome , untill Fable and B&W2 ... since then they made no high-quality game . Fable was alos IMO the worlds most overrated RPG , and the only reason it was successfull was the same as for Halo : hype from MS ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Words Of Wisdom said:
rocketpig said:
BluJay said:
Rockstar by far. Grand Theft Auto is the most overrated series ever. San Andreas sold about 15 million copies. There are a lot of better games out there that are fully made and deliver on all accounts and not just on open ended gameplay.

They basically created an entirely new (and massively popular) genre just 6 years ago. Other developers are still playing catchup and by all acounts, GTA IV is going to set the bar even higher and make it harder for others to keep up.

Do they deserve 15m in sales for San Andreas? Maybe, maybe not. It didn't really push the envelope far enough past GTA III IMO. Are they overrated? Hell no.

BTW, I'll throw my hat in on a developer no one has mentioned in the thread:

id software. What have they done in the past decade?

A lot of people like ToastyJaguar and rocketpig don't seem to understand what "overrated" is so I'll go over the two qualities (IMO) that make developers overrated:

1) Popularity. In order to be overrated the developer must be highly rated by someone. Sonic Team doesn't qualify because outside the few diehard Sonic fans left, no one highly rates them.

2) Poor games. In order to be overrated the developer must have made quite a few crappy games.

Developers that succeed by the virtue of a single franchise and put out a lot of crappy secondary games like Rockstar are the definition of overrated to me because outside of one single hit IP/franchise they generally don't put out quality anything. Bethesda is overrated (IMO) because I don't really care for the games they make despite their high popularity. Squeenix is overrated because it feels like they're riding on brand recognition more than actual quality these days.

True, id isn't overrated because no one pays attention to them anymore.

I still stand by my statement about Rockstar, though. I have a hard time considering them overrated, especially with how people are raving about GTA IV and the feature set Rockstar included in the game. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

are online fps gamer than thats true but

disolitude said:
waron said:

If you are a typical Japanese gamer...I completely agree with you. For the rest of us however Epic makes great games.

you mean online fps gamers because that's what epic do and every game is just the same with different name and graphic.

i would say rockstar too as blujay mentioned them cause beside bully and first max payne they didn't do any high quality title - manhunt series is dull and grand theft auto series ended with gta3 launch for me(from gta 3 to 4 they didn't do anything new beside better graphic and bigger world and less fun with every new gta game).

waron said:
are online fps gamer than thats true but
disolitude said:
waron said:

you mean online fps gamers because that's what epic do and every game is just the same with different name and graphic.

UT is the same as Gears? Wow, apparently I've been playing different games.

Other than the visual style, they're nothing alike. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/