By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who do you believe is the most over rated developer?

fazz said:
No mention for Guerrilla yet? A developer that has only delivered a single, below-mediocre game, and that with a CGI movie turns into an awesome one? Plus, they're premise for the game (graphics) has already been surpassed by now and people still consider the mentioned game (unreleased BTW) to be some sort of new Messiah in gaming?

It's a PS3 title.  You were here for the "And random title 25 will begin PS3 domination!" phase weren't you?  KZ2 is a holdover from back then IMO.

Around the Network

Wow. This thread makes me wanna cry. It's like a list of my all-time favorite games and developers, but it's a naughty list?

My fave developers of the past 10 years: Bioware (Mass Effect has bugs but it's ambition is breathtaking, KOTOR is brilliant, Jade Empire very strong), Bungie (People who say Halo is overrated forget what console FPS was before Halo and what online FPS was before Halo 2: they created the blueprint) , Bethesda (Morrowind and Oblivion are both deep and brilliant with flaws, of course, but amazing - remember when Oblivion came out in the life cycle of the console)

and I really liked Fable, Mario and most of the Final Fantasy stuff. I would agree that Fable gets a bit of heat for under-delivering on some of its promises, but that was a great game unlike other stuff at the time.

The only one I would agree on in this list that's over-rated is Rockstar, in that GTA is over-rated. Any game that lauded should have a targeting system that works, for example. Now GTA IV might change my mind - we'll see.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Rockstar(by far...)
Nintendo
Square

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

well some parts of EA are over rated aswell as rare.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Words Of Wisdom said:
rocketpig said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Developers that succeed by the virtue of a single franchise and put out a lot of crappy secondary games like Rockstar are the definition of overrated to me because outside of one single hit IP/franchise they generally don't put out quality anything.

True, id isn't overrated because no one pays attention to them anymore.

I still stand by my statement about Rockstar, though. I have a hard time considering them overrated, especially with how people are raving about GTA IV and the feature set Rockstar included in the game.

Earthworm Jim 3D? Table Tennis? Midnight Club?

I'm sorry but outside of GTA and maybe Max Payne (which is probably far too generous), their offering is not even mediocre, it's just plain bad.

Dammit, I forgot about Earthworm Jim 3D and Midnight Club. You got me there.

Table Tennis wasn't bad, it just wasn't that great. It was also a budget title. You also forgot to mention Bully. While it was far from great, it wasn't a bad game by any means. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

Its a toss up between Rockstar and Rare

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

@ fazz

Well, I would mention them, but you can't be over rated if you've only ever made one mediocre game. Killzone 2 will silence, or awaken the critics though.

In my opinion Bethesda is the most overrated developer, followed by Bioware and Insomniac.

MrBubbles said:
Rockstar(by far...)
Nintendo
Square

Noone bad mouth Nintendo. Bring out all the Nintendo fanboys. Nintendo over rated. No way man. Nintendo and Sony are video games.

Nintendo an overrated Developer?
That's a good one. :)

Tempus fugit Nintendo manet.

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Member - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Regular - Pass 2k
Level 4 - Addicted - Pass 5k
Level 5 - Obsessed - Pass 10k
Level 6 - Old Guard - Pass 20k
Level 7 - Legend - Pass 50k
Level 8 - Demi-God - Pass 100k
Level 9 - God - Pass 250k