By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How far away are we from seeing games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Spiderman 2018 on Switch/Switch 2?

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

2050 isn't in the list of gpus being discussed.

Yet another goal post shift by you.

Actually it is, my point was most of the top Steam GPUs are low end GPUs, the 2050 is in that category. You don't get to say "it doesn't count" because it disproves your point. The 2050 is a popular choice for a lot of gamers that don't want to spend a ton of money. 

Developers don't give a shit about showcasing the best tech for the sake of showcasing tech. They need to make sure their game runs on a very wide gamut of technology, the PC actually is accelerating that focus because PC games scale much further than consoles traditionally have. 

No developer out here is going "y'know I've spent $150 million making this game, now let me lock it off to a tiny audience of 40 series card owners". That's not a reality anywhere and won't be probably even in the next 5 years. 

Graphics enthusiasts like the type that watch Digital Foundry videos and all that shit are a tiny part of the actual market. You're not making big money targeting that audience solely and it's been shown again and again with multiple flops/underperforming games this gen that people don't give a shit about that. 

It doesn't count because YOU listed a bunch of GPUs and I pointed out the 200 to 300% difference in memory bandwidth.

Then you shifted goals posts and started adding hardware that wasn't part of the original discussion.

And I would be surprised if anyone is buying a 2050 these days.  I'm not sure it is even available anymore.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

Actually it is, my point was most of the top Steam GPUs are low end GPUs, the 2050 is in that category. You don't get to say "it doesn't count" because it disproves your point. The 2050 is a popular choice for a lot of gamers that don't want to spend a ton of money. 

Developers don't give a shit about showcasing the best tech for the sake of showcasing tech. They need to make sure their game runs on a very wide gamut of technology, the PC actually is accelerating that focus because PC games scale much further than consoles traditionally have. 

No developer out here is going "y'know I've spent $150 million making this game, now let me lock it off to a tiny audience of 40 series card owners". That's not a reality anywhere and won't be probably even in the next 5 years. 

Graphics enthusiasts like the type that watch Digital Foundry videos and all that shit are a tiny part of the actual market. You're not making big money targeting that audience solely and it's been shown again and again with multiple flops/underperforming games this gen that people don't give a shit about that. 

It doesn't count because YOU listed a bunch of GPUs and I pointed out the 200 to 300% difference I'm memory bandwidth.

Then you shifted goals posts and started adding hardware that wasn't part of the original discussion.

The 2050 shows that modern games can be run on even lower bandwidth than what the Switch 2 has. Of course you hate it when anyone points stuff like that out because you have a tech nerd agenda (on a sales board for some reason), again maybe expend that energy buying some of these tech showcase games, but your group of techies don't show up for any of those games anyway, so it's like well who gives a fuck then. 

Lots of talk, not a whole lot of actual action, turns out making games for the "Digital Foundry" audience isn't very smart based on the sales data we are getting. 

Publishers are making sure their games run on low RAM, low bandwidth environments. 

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

I think the handheld crowd is different crowd I mean switch was pathetic compares to ps4 but still beat it in sales, and gameboy was pathetic compared to super nes but still destroyed in sales. The handheld market is very big with casuals that just want something to play on the go.

There's nothing "pathetic" about the "handheld crowd", but you love to throw in bullshit like that into your arguments. Only tech nerds think that way and poeple like that are a small minority of the market that talk a lot on message boards and then don't back up their bullshit by actually showing up to buy "tech showcase" games. 

Y'all talk a big game, but you don't show up for shit. 

If I'm a publisher I can't rely on no-shows like that, I have to make a game that supports a wide variety of hardware these days, it's the only reasonable way to make money when my budgets are going up by double, triple, etc. I'm not passing on like say the XBox Series S just to appease that lame duck audience. 

When i say. pathetic I'm talking about the hardware compared to home consoles. You keep hating on people that like perfomance and graphics by calling them old farts yet you have wet dreams about powerful Nintendo hardware well guess what of course anyone that loves gaming and doesn't like playing on the go would love those things especially of they are gaming 20 hours a week.

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

There's nothing "pathetic" about the "handheld crowd", but you love to throw in bullshit like that into your arguments. Only tech nerds think that way and poeple like that are a small minority of the market that talk a lot on message boards and then don't back up their bullshit by actually showing up to buy "tech showcase" games. 

Y'all talk a big game, but you don't show up for shit. 

If I'm a publisher I can't rely on no-shows like that, I have to make a game that supports a wide variety of hardware these days, it's the only reasonable way to make money when my budgets are going up by double, triple, etc. I'm not passing on like say the XBox Series S just to appease that lame duck audience. 

When i say. pathetic I'm talking about the hardware. You keep hating on people that like perfomance and graphics by calling them old farts yet you have wet dreams about powerful Nintendo hardware well guess what of course anyone that loves gaming and doesn't like playing on the go would love those things especially of they are gaming 20 hours a week.

I don't even agree with that characterization, it's like saying a car that can fly is pathetic because it isn't as large as a full sized aircraft ... well not shit, no one is going to say "it's not an airplane", they're going to say "holy shit, this car is flying". Traditionally in the past the idea of the relevant, popular portable platform of the day (say Game Boy or DS in the past) being able to run basically a direct version of the most popular 3rd party games was a pipe dream, but today that is becoming less and less the case. 

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

It doesn't count because YOU listed a bunch of GPUs and I pointed out the 200 to 300% difference I'm memory bandwidth.

The 2050 shows that modern games can be run on even lower bandwidth than what the Switch 2 has. Of course you hate it when anyone points stuff like that out because you have a tech nerd agenda (on a sales board for some reason), again maybe expend that energy buying some of these tech showcase games, but your group of techies don't show up for any of those games anyway, so it's like well who gives a fuck then. 

Lots of talk, not a whole lot of actual action, turns out making games for the "Digital Foundry" audience isn't very smart based on the sales data we are getting. 

Only thing I hate is when people willfully shift goalposts and pretend they didn't. 

Fact: 2050 wasn't part of your list, it was added later.

And people can game on whatever they want.  I just don't like goalpost shifting.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

Only thing I hate is when people willfully shift goalposts and pretend they didn't. 

And people can game on whatever they want.  I just don't like goalpost shifting.

You sure love moving goalposts all the time, so gimme a break. My point was low end GPUs dominate the Steam charts, that's a fact. A lot of those GPUs have low amounts of RAM, which is factual too. The XBox Series S is still being supported basically in every announcement of any modern game and it runs basically every modern PC release itself too. Developers aren't going to ditch platforms like that just because tech dorks on a message board who think they are some big majority when they're not even close to it fart into the wind online. 

A lot of talk and hot air, not actually a lot of market power. 

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

When i say. pathetic I'm talking about the hardware. You keep hating on people that like perfomance and graphics by calling them old farts yet you have wet dreams about powerful Nintendo hardware well guess what of course anyone that loves gaming and doesn't like playing on the go would love those things especially of they are gaming 20 hours a week.

I don't even agree with that characterization, it's like saying a car that can fly is pathetic because it isn't as large as a full sized aircraft ... well not shit, no one is going to say "it's not an airplane", they're going to say "holy shit, this car is flying". Traditionally in the past the idea of the relevant, popular portable platform of the day (say Game Boy or DS in the past) being able to run basically a direct version of the most popular 3rd party games was a pipe dream, but today that is becoming less and less the case. 

And no one cares. If they did steamdeck would doing massively better. It's been having every 3rd party game for 2 years now and no one is buying it people that like those type of games want them on powerful console or rig with a nice TV. 

Soundwave said:
Conina said:

IF the Switch 2 gets 12 GB Unified RAM, it will need some of that for the OS and some for the non-graphic parts of a game. Don't expect more than 8 GB usable for graphics.

Already more than 60% of the gaming PCs have 8 GB VRAM and above. Until the Switch 2 launches, this percentage will grow further.

Source for that number.

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

You sure love moving goalposts all the time, so gimme a break. My point was low end GPUs dominate the Steam charts, that's a fact. A lot of those GPUs have low amounts of RAM, which is factual too. The XBox Series S is still being supported basically in every announcement of any modern game and it runs basically every modern PC release itself too. Developers aren't going to ditch platforms like that just because tech dorks on a message board who think they are some big majority when they're not even close to it fart into the wind online. 

Yes, low ram gpus dominate the charts....  but per your list those low ram gpus are 200 to 300% faster than the max of the S2.

You keep viewing everything in terms of ram amount and that is, at best, disingenuous.  

6 gb at 336 gb/s is way more powerful than 8 gb at 112 gb/s.

Those are the facts son.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Conina said:
Soundwave said:

Source for that number.

I mean that also shows over 60% have 8GB or less GPUs, lol, like that's not the flex you think it is. That means I wouldn't be counting on games that require more than 8GB of VRAM any time soon. There's more people that have 4GB GPUs than 16GB + 24GB combined.