By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How far away are we from seeing games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Spiderman 2018 on Switch/Switch 2?

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

They don't have severe downgrades, you are cherry picking comments where he goes back and forth talking about different modes, the game itself is not like defaulting to some way lower graphic setting because frankly there isn't any or much room to go lower than the settings on Switch titles anyway, you also conveniently leave out that across the board he says the OC versions of these games are way better than the stock Switch versions. 

We're looking at more like 15-30 fps improvements in dozens of games and/or definite resolution improvements, the Hogwarts example looks clearly better at higher resolution. Anyone who says there's no difference is being completely disingenuous. 

You don't want to watch the 4K video because you're wrong basically, but that's fine. You also don't want to touch the "why would a company put 4K output in a different dock (thus increasing cost for no reason) and change the chipset itself to output 4K", the smoking guns are sitting right there in the hardware itself. 

My friend it's not rocket science your source santiago says in his video Hogwartz can't go over 720p even with over clocks cause it runs at 20fps only so it's doesn't offer huge boost in resolution like you state. With the over clock hogwartz runs at 28-30 fps with no over clocks it was 20-30fps. Just watch all the videos of santiago it clearly shows in the same settings the jump is like 5-15fps.

12 minutes into the video, you're going to say with a straight face there is no difference in resolution from the left to right image? 

You should also read his comments, his videos are generally good but he made a mistake of not upclocking the RAM in his Switch comparisons which people point out to him. From his own comments, he responded:

UPDATE: I was able to easily push the ram to 2400MHz, this made a big difference, expect it to be closer to 60 FPS with that extra adjustment

The fact that a Switch can get anywhere even in the ball park of 40-60 fps, when PS4 and XBox One are 30 fps is not anything to complain about. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 20 June 2024

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

My friend it's not rocket science your source santiago says in his video Hogwartz can't go over 720p even with over clocks cause it runs at 20fps only so it's doesn't offer huge boost in resolution like you state. With the over clock hogwartz runs at 28-30 fps with no over clocks it was 20-30fps. Just watch all the videos of santiago it clearly shows in the same settings the jump is like 5-15fps.

12 minutes into the video, you're going to say with a straight face there is no difference in resolution from the left to right image? 

I'm on my phone and according to santiago it can't go over 720p which is already crap to begin with so it probably goes from 600p to 720p I have to see when I get home but with a proper analysis these things are hard to measure. DF did a proper comparison and sure they didn't boost the clocks as high as your sources but Nintendo would never do that's it would kill the battery. For example to get tears of the Kingdom at 45-60fps you would need extreme over clocking that give switch 1 hour and 20 minutes of battery life and it's can't even get there docked with out going into handheld mode. Don't get me wrong ninetndo really shit the bed by not upping the clocks a bit but it really just would have offered a more locked 30fps which would have been a great thing for many games, calling it a pro though is a good joke.

I hope the rumors are true. Nvidia is supposed to use overclocked Mariko chips in the rtx 5090 next year. Fingers crossed!!

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

I'm on my phone and according to santiago it can't go over 720p which is already crap to begin with so it probably goes from 600p to 720p I have to see when I get home but with a proper analysis these things are hard to measure. DF did a proper comparison and sure they didn't boost the clocks as high as your sources but Nintendo would never do that's it would kill the battery. For example to get tears of the Kingdom at 45-60fps you would need extreme over clocking that give switch 1 hour and 20 minutes of battery life and it's can't even get there docked with out going into handheld mode. Don't get me wrong ninetndo really shit the bed by not upping the clocks a bit but it really just would have offered a more locked 30fps which would have been a great things for many games, calling it a pro though is a good joke.

Resolutions are generally locked by devs, unlike frame rates, so you're not going to see what a Switch would be able to do under max circumstances because these games are made for the regular clocked Switch. We can get hints in some games that have dynamic resolution, so some games will detect that they have large performance overhead and automatically jump from like 540p or less to 720p like Hogwarts Legacy and DOOM Eternal can in undocked mode. The difference is hugely obvious, it's honestly a bigger jump than PS4-to PS4 Pro games, because at lower resolution a jump up in res is more dramatic. 

The 4K Nintendo video shows better what the Switch can actually do resolution wise, he runs emulated Switch games on the Switch itself at resolutions of 1440p and higher. 

You're going to have to cite which OC you're talking about for Tears of the Kingdom, because I can show an OC Switch running it at 60 fps for 15 minutes which eats up about 8% of a full battery ... that works out to basically 3 hours battery life. There are different mods and different OC programs out there, that also complicates things. 

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

I'm on my phone and according to santiago it can't go over 720p which is already crap to begin with so it probably goes from 600p to 720p I have to see when I get home but with a proper analysis these things are hard to measure. DF did a proper comparison and sure they didn't boost the clocks as high as your sources but Nintendo would never do that's it would kill the battery. For example to get tears of the Kingdom at 45-60fps you would need extreme over clocking that give switch 1 hour and 20 minutes of battery life and it's can't even get there docked with out going into handheld mode. Don't get me wrong ninetndo really shit the bed by not upping the clocks a bit but it really just would have offered a more locked 30fps which would have been a great things for many games, calling it a pro though is a good joke.

Resolutions are generally locked by devs, unlike frame rates, so you're not going to see what a Switch would be able to do under max circumstances because these games are made for the regular clocked Switch. We can get hints in some games that have dynamic resolution, so some games will detect that they have large performance overhead and automatically jump from like 540p or less to 720p like Hogwarts Legacy and DOOM Eternal can in undocked mode. The difference is hugely obvious, it's honestly a bigger jump than PS4-to PS4 Pro games, because at lower resolution a jump up in res is more dramatic. 

The 4K Nintendo video shows better what the Switch can actually do resolution wise, he runs emulated Switch games on the Switch itself at resolutions of 1440p and higher. 

You're going to have to cite which OC you're talking about for Tears of the Kingdom, because I can show an OC Switch running it at 60 fps for 15 minutes which eats up about 8% of a full battery ... that works out to basically 3 hours battery life. There are different mods and different OC programs out there, that also complicates things. 

https://youtu.be/dWcMsGa9Kjs?si=qyKa7MOP6htlUcq2

This guy right here who was also on DF. He played for 1 hour or so and 30% battery left.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

This guy right here who was also on DF. He played for 1 hour or so and 30% battery left.

That's Breath of the Wild, I'm not sure what he's doing but that seems pretty shit compared to a lot of other vids I've seen. Nintendo games can be complicated because they tie the frame rate to the game speed, so if you double the frame rate you double the speed of the game itself, which then requires mods to correct that problem and there are different mods out there. 

Here is Tears of the Kingdom, which is an even more demanding game than BoTW at 60 fps with a dip here or there on the Switch overclocked with a recent-ish mod installed:

After nearly 15 minutes of gameplay the battery is still at 92%. 

Soundwave said:

Here is a different kind of example of what the resolution difference could look like on Switch games, but who here can honestly say there is no difference in visual quality here (go to the 12 minute mark):

The left and right image quality difference is massive.

Yeah, the visual difference is huge in this case. Unfortunately you have to mod your Switch for that.

I wouldn't risk it because I want to use my Switch OLED online and I would always be worried that Nintendo bans my eShop account (with over 150 digital games).

Last edited by Conina - on 20 June 2024

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

That's Breath of the Wild, I'm not sure what he's doing but that seems pretty shit compared to a lot of other vids I've seen. Nintendo games can be complicated because they tie the frame rate to the game speed, so if you double the frame rate you double the speed of the game itself, which then requires mods to correct that problem and there are different mods out there. 

Here is Tears of the Kingdom, which is an even more demanding game than BoTW at 60 fps with a dip here or there on the Switch overclocked with a recent-ish mod installed:

That's a pretty big difference right there. Too bad Nintendo didn't give a option for this cause. Ah well it still sucks you can't get 60fps in docked mode with out being much lower resolution.  The game is really bandwidth starved

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

That's a pretty big difference right there. Too bad Nintendo didn't give a option for this cause. Ah well it still sucks you can't get 60fps in docked mode with out being much lower resolution. 

Oh they will be offering the option. Right after a consumer forks over $450 for a Switch 2 in about 9 months from now.  

They know exactly what they are doing.

Matching/exceeding the 150+ million the Switch 1 is going to be incredibly hard for anyone to do, Sony has never come close to matching PS2 sales. Nintendo knows this full well and pulled the chute. 4K/increased frame rates for Switch games are already possible now, they just know it's better kept as a sales feature for Switch 2 at this point. 

They could offer Wii/GameCube games on the current Switch online service too ... they are not going to do that until Switch 2. 

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

That's a pretty big difference right there. Too bad Nintendo didn't give a option for this cause. Ah well it still sucks you can't get 60fps in docked mode with out being much lower resolution. 

Oh they will be offering the option. Right after you fork over $450 for a Switch 2.  

They know exactly what they are doing.

Matching/exceeding the 150+ million the Switch 1 is going to be incredibly hard for anyone to do, Sony has never come close to matching PS2 sales. Nintendo knows this full well and pulled the chute. 4K/increased frame rates for Switch games are already possible now, they just know it's better kept as a sales feature for Switch 2 at this point. 

This is why i don't really buy Nintendo hardware.  that's a whole  8 years of people playing with gimped hardware when they could have easily offered at least reasonable clock speeds to get stable 30fps in many games and slightly better visuals but naw we gonna make the hardware as crappy as possible just like the wii, wiiu and now Switch.