By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree. 94 OC/95 MC. Is it too hard? Poll.

Is the DLC too difficult...

Yes 5 20.00%

No 9 36.00%

A bit but manageable 8 32.00%

No opinion 3 12.00%

Total:25
Runa216 said:
KLXVER said:

A pair of boss fights? I only fought one after blowing on the third horn...

There's another. go back to the throne where the guy was. Not a hard fight but it's a boss :P

Oh nice. Thanks

Around the Network

I think the whole point of these games is to be hard.

BiON!@ 

I don't have time to play it right now, but just can't stop checking this thread - I stay away from all videos, for spoiler free future.

Given that I liked ER, but not as much as Souls, mostly for not enough "legacy" dungeons, does expansion fixes this? Cause that's my main reason why I like and play Souls, those intricate From's level designs (admittedly, some of ERs dungeons are brilliant).

Hiku said:

I don't imagine that's the only powerful build. And I've seen people beat the bosses with slow clunky two handed weapons.

This is true, even in my case. I usually don't do heavy two-handed weapons as I find their slow move-sets to be a pain with timing. But I tried many times with Star Fists against Messmer, then took a break, came back with a Bloodfiend's Blood Arm (+25, I have a lot of smithing stones laying around). The pure damage output, along with the insane bleed buildup (217 without buffs, 60 Arcane and Blood Affinity from Lion's Claw) shredded him really quickly. I wouldn't call it fun, but it sure was efficient.

As far as I can tell, the good 'ole "block and poke" meta builds from the base game are still insanely strong in the DLC. I have the Fingerprint Shield, and a few decent poking weapons, but I just don't want to use them as it more or less breaks the game for me.

IcaroRibeiro said:
haxxiy said:

I mean, people shouldn't be forced to hide behind a greatshield because the game is full of hitscan nonsense combos that go on for way too long.

Imagine how satisfying it would have been to play this if you could Sekiro parry instead of doing that or spending a dozen attempts memorizing patterns like this Guitar Hero. Not all of us have hours to spare or will feel anything positive from being done with a boss after that long.

I suppose this isn't the Souls I grew up with anymore.

This is exactly the souls you grew up. ER base game is a breeze compared to other Souls games. I've came back to DS3 and Bloodborn and the difference in difficulty is quite stark. DLC is the back to the norm. 

You find ER easier than Demon and Souls 1?  Just curious.  I always thought Demon and Souls 1 were the easiest of the bunch, especially Demon.  Outside Maneaters, the bosses in Demon are quite easy.  At the time Flame Lurker was tough but is run of the mill compared to most everything in Souls 3.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
KLXVER said:

Does anyone know what blowing those big horns in the finger areas do? I did it in two areas, but dont know if it did anything...

IT's needed for a quest line and a pair of boss fights. you find two of the horns, then go to the quest giver and they take you to a third horn where you do more quest resulting in a pair of boss fights. Don't wanna spoil too much. 

haxxiy said:

I hated that stupid ass boar commander so much. Would do 10 Bayles again instead of this.

I hope this outdated 2009 Demon's Souls gameplay is definitely dead and buried now for future FromSoft games. It's clear that fast-paced anime-like Sekiro/Bloodborne stuff is where their philosophy design's at.

Yeah, General Gaius annoyed me, too. I guess I got lucky because I did beat him but he's the only boss in the DLC I don't feel like I ever properly LEARNED and defeated. I was kinda getting there (When to dodge right, when to dodge left, etc) but I felt like I was VERY far away from actually besting him. I got two stance breaks, and each one I was able to chunk a BUNCH of health off thanks to having a big hitty bonky stick of poke (The Greatsword with Lion's Claw). 

I am super worried about trying to fight that boss with magic or something. HE's too fast, gives you no room, and even with medium roll he's always RIGHT on top of you with NO room to heal or cast spells, just poke or jump attack. That was the one boss in the DLC I genuinely hated even after beating him. DURING many fights I got frustrated, but I usually ended up loving the boss once I learned from my mistakes. Messmer was an amazing example of this. And Rellana. 

LegitHyperbole said:

He made the cheapest build to beat a cheap DLC. That sheild is practically God mode. 

That's kind of the point. If you think this is a problem then you're completely missing the point of the game. 

Elden Ring gives you SO many tools to succeed and so many options to play with your build or try new things or take a different approach. Like Hiku keeps saying, if you actually learn the game and get better through various means, it's insanely rewarding. 

I'm not a gatekeeping 'git gud' style player but you really do have to LEARN the game to get good at the game. That's been the philosophy since day one. The games are hard but the difficulty isn't the point, overcoming he challenge is the point. There's a subtle distinction there. In Elden Ring's case, that often means learning what style works best for you. What tools are best. They give you hundreds of weapons, dozens of summons, dozens of ashes of war, dozens of spells, and virtually limitless build variety. 

If you're finding it too hard it's because you're either not engaging with the game's mechanics and are being stubborn or you're just not learning from your mistakes. 

I'm NOT good at these games but even I have managed to persist and get through every boss in the DLC save the final one (just got to that boss about an hour ago so I'm going to wait a bit and come back because it is in fact QUITE the challenge.) I have tools at my disposal. I know how I want to play but if my tank/paladin character isn't winning the fight for me, I'm not going to say the boss is designed poorly. That's on me. And that's kind of the point. 

LegitHyperbole said:

If turning the game into a turn based game with that sheild to beat it then it means they fucked up somewhere and left only the option of cheese builds. .

Bad take. If you don't like it, that's fine. Stop playing the game wrong and blaming the game for it. 

I didn't think there was a wrong way to play a game. I'm also not, I'm playing fairly the same as I was for the last chunk of the base game. Hiding behind a sheild lost it's fun after Bloodborne pushed aggression as a gameplay style. If chese builds are playing the game correctly then F that. 

I just beat Messmer on my fourth try, level 9 scadu. Really over rated boss. The boss was no fun though compared to Malenia and Rellana which both took me around 30 tries to beat, I want a difficult time, I just don't want these cheap kind of difficulty from the standard mobs that have endless attack chains or having to rely on cheese builds to deal with them. 

Perhaps it's a personal thing but this DLC just ain't it, quality and design wise compared to the base game, BB, Sekiro and even Souls. Many others are feeling the same way as me though so I can't be so very wrong. 

HoloDust said:

I don't have time to play it right now, but just can't stop checking this thread - I stay away from all videos, for spoiler free future.

Given that I liked ER, but not as much as Souls, mostly for not enough "legacy" dungeons, does expansion fixes this? Cause that's my main reason why I like and play Souls, those intricate From's level designs (admittedly, some of ERs dungeons are brilliant).

It does fix those issues indeed and I also love intricate level design, however it over complicates it here and somehow ends up feeling badly designed. It doesn't seem to work with the open world nature of ER. You'll know what I mean when you play it. 

LegitHyperbole said:
HoloDust said:

It does fix those issues indeed and I also love intricate level design, however it over complicates it here and somehow ends up feeling badly designed. It doesn't seem to work with the open world nature of ER. You'll know what I mean when you play it. 

I consider Souls to be sort of a 3D Metroidvania, so to be honest, back in the days when there was talk about open world Souls, with most people being opposed to it being possible, I was on the side saying it was possible, but only if they make it semi-open world - so, in the sense, Elden Ring was a bit too much open for my Souls taste, loosing that level connection of the Souls. But yeah, I guess I'd have to wait and see it myself...eventually. (so jealous of you guys)

HoloDust said:
LegitHyperbole said:

I consider Souls to be sort of a 3D Metroidvania, so to be honest, back in the days when there was talk about open world Souls, with most people being opposed to it being possible, I was on the side saying it was possible, but only if they make it semi-open world - so, in the sense, Elden Ring was a bit too much open for my Souls taste, loosing that level connection of the Souls. But yeah, I guess I'd have to wait and see it myself...eventually. (so jealous of you guys)

Keep us updated, I'm curious to see what you'll make of it. 

I was getting tired of getting 2 shot by the late game bosses, so I consumed all the scadutree fragments I had. From 0 to +13. What a massive difference. Every boss was challenging and difficult, but beatable. Now every boss just melts and 2 shot became 5 or more. Oh well it was fun while it lasted, time to finish this DLC.