By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree. 94 OC/95 MC. Is it too hard? Poll.

Is the DLC too difficult...

Yes 5 20.00%

No 9 36.00%

A bit but manageable 8 32.00%

No opinion 3 12.00%

Total:25
Hiku said:
haxxiy said:

I mean, people shouldn't be forced to hide behind a greatshield because the game is full of hitscan nonsense combos that go on for way too long.

I don't imagine that's the only powerful build. And I've seen people beat the bosses with slow clunky two handed weapons.

Well Elden Ring the base game was also different from prior Souls games with how they designed the open world.
Primarily because the majority of bosses do not block progression.

I've beaten the dance lion first try only spamming Blasphemous Blade Ashe of War while my Mimic Tear constantly drew Aggro 

The broken builds are still broken 

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

This is exactly the souls you grew up. ER base game is a breeze compared to other Souls games. I've came back to DS3 and Bloodborn and the difference in difficulty is quite stark. DLC is the back to the norm. 

I felt that Bloodborne wasn't that hard, to be honest, and I had never played shieldless before. I guess it depends on the player.

I was specifically referring to Des/DS/DS2, since some DS3 DLC bosses are already BB-influenced without offering the gameplay to match. But even in DS3 you can have fun learning stuff instead of being cheap-shotted all the time.

That's not to say this is the case for ALL SOTE bosses, mind, a lot of them can be tough but very fair (Divine Beast, the spoiler bosses at the tower, etc.) but others... are not.

Hiku said:
LegitHyperbole said:

But it's not fun to turn in into a turn based one button game. Why won't they allow for fast melee builds to have the same chance, pretty sure even magic builds are not viable on some bosses. You have to build towards defence eith that sheild... nah.  

I was just referring to very powerful builds that may trivialize the content.

But if we are just talking about viable builds, I imagine most of them are to varying degrees, but you might have to go out and find some new upgrades.

What do you feel is your problem with fast melee builds vs certain bosses? IcaroRibeiro found a lot of room for improvement in your previous build and gave you a lot of detailed advice, so if you're struggling again, you could upload another video and people may be able to help again? That's the beauty with the community. People focus on different things.

And I think it's normal that not every build will work well on every boss, without tuning, or changing your approach, no? I experienced that in the main game as well.
I'm sure some people using certain builds didn't though.

Yep. I'm gonna change up my build and see if it'll help once I find a larval tear for safety incase I fuck things up. I suppose I am being to stubbron, it looks like duel weilding Strength builds do real well in the DLC. Might try that instead. 

LegitHyperbole said:
Hiku said:

As we could do in the base game.
If there are game breaking builds in the DLC, like there were in the base game, that's a good thing imo.
It's optional.

But it's not fun to turn in into a turn based one button game. Why won't they allow for fast melee builds to have the same chance, pretty sure even magic builds are not viable on some bosses. You have to build towards defence eith that sheild... nah.  

Playing defensively is not cheesing, but anyways. I'll give some reason to you here about fast paced meele builds being weaker than defensive builds

But this is inherited from base game. ER makes strength build stronger than dexterity builds, because of how important poise breaking is. High STR builds when done right allow more free stats to put in VIG and END, which makes a sound difference. Also you can punish enemies stronger when breaking their poise and inflicting hits. The same holds true to enemies who attack you, when you're tank they will have hard time delivering punishing combos 

This was always true in the base game. After 6 playstroughs and can say DEX-focused builds are the weakest in the game. This must be more evident in the DLC when the enemies are stronger and more punishing 

However you don't need to go full DEX. DEX-INT and DEX-ARC, or even DEX-FAI are all strong and viable. You can still be a fast meele fighter, but you will need to understand the weakness of this kind of playstyle and learn how to solve them

Full caster magic Builds are viable for this DLC as well, although they definitely will feel less overpowered compared to the base game where you can wreck-comet-azured most of bosses

Melania is a perfect boss fight same deal as Rellana. So fun to learn, hard but with plenty of room for you to observe the fight and see from your mistakes and it's completely fair. Just killed her and I got that rush of "He'll yeah!" Instead of the relief "it's finally over" feeling like there was with mamy DLC bosses. I hope for Elden Ring 2 they follow that approach to boss design and finally fix there camera or keep large bosses out of enclosed spaces. DragonLord Placidusax is an excellent example of a large boss having a good arena for the camera to work properly, he's a pain in the ass but a fair pain in the ass.

Around the Network

Beat my first Furnace Golem. Took me 6 tries. This guy's pretty big which can mess with the camera. You definitely need some strong fire damage reduction. I used a fire defense incantation plus a talisman that boosts fire resistance. If you don't have strong resistance you will get one-shotted or at best two-shotted  

Also, this guy really takes small damage from regular attacks, so I changed to a Marika's Hammer to helped me break the Golem instance. 2 critical hits are enough to kill him 

haxxiy said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

This is exactly the souls you grew up. ER base game is a breeze compared to other Souls games. I've came back to DS3 and Bloodborn and the difference in difficulty is quite stark. DLC is the back to the norm. 

I felt that Bloodborne wasn't that hard, to be honest, and I had never played shieldless before. I guess it depends on the player.

I was specifically referring to Des/DS/DS2, since some DS3 DLC bosses are already BB-influenced without offering the gameplay to match. But even in DS3 you can have fun learning stuff instead of being cheap-shotted all the time.

That's not to say this is the case for ALL SOTE bosses, mind, a lot of them can be tough but very fair (Divine Beast, the spoiler bosses at the tower, etc.) but others... are not.

Bloodborne was the easiest for me, it matched my playstyle too perfectly.

KLXVER said:

Does anyone know what blowing those big horns in the finger areas do? I did it in two areas, but dont know if it did anything...

IT's needed for a quest line and a pair of boss fights. you find two of the horns, then go to the quest giver and they take you to a third horn where you do more quest resulting in a pair of boss fights. Don't wanna spoil too much. 

haxxiy said:

I hated that stupid ass boar commander so much. Would do 10 Bayles again instead of this.

I hope this outdated 2009 Demon's Souls gameplay is definitely dead and buried now for future FromSoft games. It's clear that fast-paced anime-like Sekiro/Bloodborne stuff is where their philosophy design's at.

Yeah, General Gaius annoyed me, too. I guess I got lucky because I did beat him but he's the only boss in the DLC I don't feel like I ever properly LEARNED and defeated. I was kinda getting there (When to dodge right, when to dodge left, etc) but I felt like I was VERY far away from actually besting him. I got two stance breaks, and each one I was able to chunk a BUNCH of health off thanks to having a big hitty bonky stick of poke (The Greatsword with Lion's Claw). 

I am super worried about trying to fight that boss with magic or something. HE's too fast, gives you no room, and even with medium roll he's always RIGHT on top of you with NO room to heal or cast spells, just poke or jump attack. That was the one boss in the DLC I genuinely hated even after beating him. DURING many fights I got frustrated, but I usually ended up loving the boss once I learned from my mistakes. Messmer was an amazing example of this. And Rellana. 

LegitHyperbole said:

He made the cheapest build to beat a cheap DLC. That sheild is practically God mode. 

That's kind of the point. If you think this is a problem then you're completely missing the point of the game. 

Elden Ring gives you SO many tools to succeed and so many options to play with your build or try new things or take a different approach. Like Hiku keeps saying, if you actually learn the game and get better through various means, it's insanely rewarding. 

I'm not a gatekeeping 'git gud' style player but you really do have to LEARN the game to get good at the game. That's been the philosophy since day one. The games are hard but the difficulty isn't the point, overcoming he challenge is the point. There's a subtle distinction there. In Elden Ring's case, that often means learning what style works best for you. What tools are best. They give you hundreds of weapons, dozens of summons, dozens of ashes of war, dozens of spells, and virtually limitless build variety. 

If you're finding it too hard it's because you're either not engaging with the game's mechanics and are being stubborn or you're just not learning from your mistakes. 

I'm NOT good at these games but even I have managed to persist and get through every boss in the DLC save the final one (just got to that boss about an hour ago so I'm going to wait a bit and come back because it is in fact QUITE the challenge.) I have tools at my disposal. I know how I want to play but if my tank/paladin character isn't winning the fight for me, I'm not going to say the boss is designed poorly. That's on me. And that's kind of the point. 

LegitHyperbole said:

If turning the game into a turn based game with that sheild to beat it then it means they fucked up somewhere and left only the option of cheese builds. .

Bad take. If you don't like it, that's fine. Stop playing the game wrong and blaming the game for it. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
KLXVER said:

Does anyone know what blowing those big horns in the finger areas do? I did it in two areas, but dont know if it did anything...

IT's needed for a quest line and a pair of boss fights. you find two of the horns, then go to the quest giver and they take you to a third horn where you do more quest resulting in a pair of boss fights. Don't wanna spoil too much. 

haxxiy said:

I hated that stupid ass boar commander so much. Would do 10 Bayles again instead of this.

I hope this outdated 2009 Demon's Souls gameplay is definitely dead and buried now for future FromSoft games. It's clear that fast-paced anime-like Sekiro/Bloodborne stuff is where their philosophy design's at.

Yeah, General Gaius annoyed me, too. I guess I got lucky because I did beat him but he's the only boss in the DLC I don't feel like I ever properly LEARNED and defeated. I was kinda getting there (When to dodge right, when to dodge left, etc) but I felt like I was VERY far away from actually besting him. I got two stance breaks, and each one I was able to chunk a BUNCH of health off thanks to having a big hitty bonky stick of poke (The Greatsword with Lion's Claw). 

I am super worried about trying to fight that boss with magic or something. HE's too fast, gives you no room, and even with medium roll he's always RIGHT on top of you with NO room to heal or cast spells, just poke or jump attack. That was the one boss in the DLC I genuinely hated even after beating him. DURING many fights I got frustrated, but I usually ended up loving the boss once I learned from my mistakes. Messmer was an amazing example of this. And Rellana. 

LegitHyperbole said:

He made the cheapest build to beat a cheap DLC. That sheild is practically God mode. 

That's kind of the point. If you think this is a problem then you're completely missing the point of the game. 

Elden Ring gives you SO many tools to succeed and so many options to play with your build or try new things or take a different approach. Like Hiku keeps saying, if you actually learn the game and get better through various means, it's insanely rewarding. 

I'm not a gatekeeping 'git gud' style player but you really do have to LEARN the game to get good at the game. That's been the philosophy since day one. The games are hard but the difficulty isn't the point, overcoming he challenge is the point. There's a subtle distinction there. In Elden Ring's case, that often means learning what style works best for you. What tools are best. They give you hundreds of weapons, dozens of summons, dozens of ashes of war, dozens of spells, and virtually limitless build variety. 

If you're finding it too hard it's because you're either not engaging with the game's mechanics and are being stubborn or you're just not learning from your mistakes. 

I'm NOT good at these games but even I have managed to persist and get through every boss in the DLC save the final one (just got to that boss about an hour ago so I'm going to wait a bit and come back because it is in fact QUITE the challenge.) I have tools at my disposal. I know how I want to play but if my tank/paladin character isn't winning the fight for me, I'm not going to say the boss is designed poorly. That's on me. And that's kind of the point. 

LegitHyperbole said:

If turning the game into a turn based game with that sheild to beat it then it means they fucked up somewhere and left only the option of cheese builds. .

Bad take. If you don't like it, that's fine. Stop playing the game wrong and blaming the game for it. 

A pair of boss fights? I only fought one after blowing on the third horn...

KLXVER said:

A pair of boss fights? I only fought one after blowing on the third horn...

There's another. go back to the throne where the guy was. Not a hard fight but it's a boss :P

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android