By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Helldivers 2 pulled from Steam in countries that don’t support PSN

Curious if they have a solution planned before this goes into effect for existing players in June. This move could suggest that they don't.

I personally don't find it difficult to make a PSN account for a different region. But I do think there needs to be an official way to play the game in those countries.

Qwark said:

Guess Arrowhead will not be part or ever working with Sony again after this.

Tober said:

They should copy paste the game in Helldivers3 and release it themselves without the PS BS.

Since Sony owns the IP, I don't think Arrowhead are going to quit working with them considering the game got so popular.
And this won't affect Arrowhead negatively in any meaningful way. Everyone in the industry knows that the negative feedback the game is getting is due to Sony's decisions.

SvennoJ said:

How hard is it to make a foreign PSN account?
How do people in those countries play on Playstation?
How do other games on Steam that require Microsoft/PSN/Publisher accounts get sold?

I've had a US Amazon account since the 90s, as well as a UK one as it wasn't available in my country. And I've tons of 'useless' accounts nowadays, EA, Origin, Ubisoft, Microsoft, Square Enix, Capcom, Epic, Bethesda, Roblox, and PSN accounts. Heck in GT Sport many people also had EU and Asian PSN accounts to race on other servers.

It would be nice not to have to make all those accounts, yet kinda baffling why HD2 is suddenly the hill to die on?

Heck my Password 'file' has over 200 different passwords for all different kinds of accounts.

I agree.
But I don't think Sony can recommend that people make PSN accounts with fake information on their FAQ's on their website.
 So there should be some 'official' sollution that they can point to.

Last edited by Hiku - on 05 May 2024

Around the Network

Why require a PSN login? PC online is free. I was thinking of getting HD2, but fuck Sony. I'm tired of having to login account that are 100% irrelevant.

Of all the scenarios Sony could choose to handle this situation, they picked probably the worst one.

Chrkeller said:

Why require a PSN login? PC online is free. I was thinking of getting HD2, but fuck Sony. I'm tired of having to login account that are 100% irrelevant.

Conceptually, it’s for cross-save and cross-play functionality. Which is fine. It’s nice to have everything you’ve unlocked in multiplayer games to come with you no matter what platform you’re on and be able to play with all your friends.

This could have been avoided if Sony just didn’t sell Helldivers 2 in countries where PSN wasn’t supported from the start. And the fact that there was a bug at launch when it came to linking the accounts only exacerbated the issue when the bug was finally fixed. 

SvennoJ said:

How hard is it to make a foreign PSN account?
How do people in those countries play on Playstation?
How do other games on Steam that require Microsoft/PSN/Publisher accounts get sold?

I've had a US Amazon account since the 90s, as well as a UK one as it wasn't available in my country. And I've tons of 'useless' accounts nowadays, EA, Origin, Ubisoft, Microsoft, Square Enix, Capcom, Epic, Bethesda, Roblox, and PSN accounts. Heck in GT Sport many people also had EU and Asian PSN accounts to race on other servers.

It would be nice not to have to make all those accounts, yet kinda baffling why HD2 is suddenly the hill to die on?

Heck my Password 'file' has over 200 different passwords for all different kinds of accounts.

It's very easy to make a foreign psn account. effortless even. the only issue is  payment which is why you buy things with gift cards and similar products as you won't have a credit card for that country. There is no region lock so you don't need a vpn and  users from countries that don't officially support psn are directed by sony themselves to make accounts in nearby regions. PS5s are sold officially in many of those countries afterall. There's just been a lot of FUD spread about the situation by people with no familiarity with PSN.

This decision was likely steam's doing in response to the refund requests. sony won't stop selling the game in countries where they sell the ps5 version physically regardless of psn's official status.

Around the Network
G2ThaUNiT said:

That’s no longer what the problem is. No one in any of these non-PSN supported countries can now buy Helldivers 2 on Steam and by extension by those who have already purchased the game to be defacto banned. And trying to circumvent this by VPN breaks Sony’s TOS and can risk being permanently banned. 

It was already an unrealistic request to ask an unknown number of thousands, if not millions, of people to “just change your region” but this process has now become infinitely more difficult.

If you change your region on Steam, you need access to the local currency and a verifiable billing address to authenticate the purchase. Not only that but Steam can begin to question you as to why you have games in your library where the versions are from different regions.

Most other companies typically just don’t sell their games in regions their services aren’t currently in. 

Isn't that a Steam issue? I can buy from Amazon US and UK, but not from Steam US / UK ?

I don't know about digital goods though, which seems to be the issue. Seems refunds are in order if the game gets effectively banned from countries where it has been sold already.

SvennoJ said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

That’s no longer what the problem is. No one in any of these non-PSN supported countries can now buy Helldivers 2 on Steam and by extension by those who have already purchased the game to be defacto banned. And trying to circumvent this by VPN breaks Sony’s TOS and can risk being permanently banned. 

It was already an unrealistic request to ask an unknown number of thousands, if not millions, of people to “just change your region” but this process has now become infinitely more difficult.

If you change your region on Steam, you need access to the local currency and a verifiable billing address to authenticate the purchase. Not only that but Steam can begin to question you as to why you have games in your library where the versions are from different regions.

Most other companies typically just don’t sell their games in regions their services aren’t currently in. 

Isn't that a Steam issue? I can buy from Amazon US and UK, but not from Steam US / UK ?

I don't know about digital goods though, which seems to be the issue. Seems refunds are in order if the game gets effectively banned from countries where it has been sold already.

Yeah digital goods is where it becomes a grey area. Valve is a private company, so there’s no way of knowing how they conduct their business internationally. Still, it would’ve been Sony’s choice to pull their game from all the non-PSN supported countries.

All Valve can do is offer refunds. Which is what they’re doing, even if you’ve played the game for over 200 hours.

G2ThaUNiT said:
SvennoJ said:

Yeah digital goods is where it becomes a grey area. Valve is a private company, so there’s no way of knowing how they conduct their business internationally. Still, it would’ve been Sony’s choice to pull their game from all the non-PSN supported countries.

All Valve can do is offer refunds. Which is what they’re doing, even if you’ve played the game for over 200 hours.

Has to do with taxation. Sales tax and/or Value Added Tax. Physical there is import tax to cover it.

Theoretically if you live in the UK and make a digital purchase you'll need to pay VAT. Make a US account and "pretend" that's your region, how is Steam going to charge VAT and funnel that to the UK tax office? That is where the grey area is from and why these companies will not say something like "oh just choose a different region when making an account if PSN is not supported in your region"

Last edited by Tober - on 05 May 2024

Looks like Sony reversed the decision so this issue should be resolved or getting resolved.

Voting with your wallet actually works (They must have seen the number of refunds lol)

Great news! Hopefully this also means that the regions that were no longer able to buy the game will be reversed soon as well!