By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 16, 2024 (Apr 15 - Apr 21)

Norion said:

If that thing about a Japanese retailer having a sale that just ended is true I am quite interested in how the first few weeks following Golden Week go since those will be very telling for how it's gonna selling during Summer.

May is typically the weakest month of the year in Japan, so you can't properly judge how summer is going to be. Last year was an outlier because of TotK's release, but this year should be back to normal.

In other words, panic mode based on weak May sales is ill-advised.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Norion said:

If that thing about a Japanese retailer having a sale that just ended is true I am quite interested in how the first few weeks following Golden Week go since those will be very telling for how it's gonna sell during Summer.

May is typically the weakest month of the year in Japan, so you can't properly judge how summer is going to be. Last year was an outlier because of TotK's release, but this year should be back to normal.

That seems like a strange argument. Surely you just need to keep the usual relative weakness in mind when imagining how the following few months will go, like take how it does in May but expect it to be somewhat higher.

Norion said:
RolStoppable said:

That seems like a strange argument. Surely you just need to keep the relative weakness in mind when imagining how the following few months will go, like take how it does in May but increase that somewhat.

It's an argument based on history. We've had too many years on VGC with a negative overreaction to the general market performance in May.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:
Norion said:

That seems like a strange argument. Surely you just need to keep the relative weakness in mind when imagining how the following few months will go, like take how it does in May but increase that somewhat.

It's an argument based on history. We've had too many years on VGC with a negative overreaction to the general market performance in May.

Not keeping in mind proper context when extrapolating stuff like this is definitely too common yeah. I guess it felt like you were saying to not do that based on May at all but if it's more of a general reminder to everyone to keep the context in mind then that's completely fine.

It's going to catch last year ps5.

Around the Network

2nd best Week 16 happening in its 8th year is absurd!

BOTW just casually charting more than 7 years after its release, and in a country that used to be lukewarm on the series too.
Funny to see it neck and neck with TOTK in weekly sales, and Super Mario Party and Superstars also neck and neck.
Bit of intra-series competition haha

RolStoppable said:
Norion said:

If that thing about a Japanese retailer having a sale that just ended is true I am quite interested in how the first few weeks following Golden Week go since those will be very telling for how it's gonna selling during Summer.

This may might be an outlier with paper mario and endless ocean most may's are pretty weak the only exception being last year.

It's Golden Week in Japan, so no new Famitsu numbers today. Next week will be a two week combined total.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish