By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Sony is interested in acquiring Paramount

Sony is a Japanese company and Paramount owns broadcasting stations. Paramount would have to sell those off. Other then that does Sony even have the cash required for that?

The world belongs to you-Pan America

Around the Network

Likely to get the IPs associated with Paramount.

I can see Paramount+ shutting down if it bleeds too much money.

Sony's been shopping around other companies to release their catalogue of movies (Netflix, etc) - this looks more like the move with Microsoft buying Bethesda and Activision Blizzard where they gain access to the IPs.

SAguy said:

Sony is a Japanese company and Paramount owns broadcasting stations. Paramount would have to sell those off. Other then that does Sony even have the cash required for that?

I can imagine Apollo Global getting the broadcasting stations. And Sony absolutely has the cash for this lol. This isn't 2010 anymore.

If it happens, what are the most valuable IPs Paramount owns? Which of those could be used for gaming the best? I'm really curious about that.

Spike0503 said:

If it happens, what are the most valuable IPs Paramount owns? Which of those could be used for gaming the best? I'm really curious about that.

They have many like Star Trek, Scream, Transformers, TMNT, The Godfather, Cloverfield, Top Gun, Terminator, South Park, you can do so much with just Nickelodeon IP's.

I think the better question is which studio(s) would take on these projects. 

Around the Network
pikashoe said:

This would be awful. With the exception of the spiderverse films sony is one of the absolute worst big movie studios

Sony has Columbia as well under their umbrella as part of Sony Pictures, but yeah.

it depends how much autonomy Sony would give Paramount Pictures. As far as I'm aware, 20th Century Studios still has some autonomy after Disney bought them. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

PotentHerbs said:
Spike0503 said:

They have many like Star Trek, Scream, Transformers, TMNT, The Godfather, Cloverfield, Top Gun, Terminator, South Park, you can do so much with just Nickelodeon IP's.

I think the better question is which studio(s) would take on these projects. 

Good for gaming on a decent budget (100m or something) would be TMNT (4 player co-op 3d ninja fighting?  Yes!), transformers (screw twisted metal we can have car combat with robots!), star trek (uncharted style or grand galactic MMO where you choose a faction), nickelodeon for 3d platformers possibly like sackboy a big adventure, South Park more like stick of truth would be great, top gun flight simulator combat game?  Lots of awesome opportunities for their deeper GAAS like Helldivers 2 in these IP.  Tons of multiplayer potential both competitive, co-op, and MMO wise.  They can also get some of the kids market back from Nintendo or in addition to them with their Nickelodeon stuff 

I am Iron Man

So Sony Pictures and Apollo have made a 26B all cash offer.

If we can see Kratos vs Spongebob then I see this as a win

Give me a new Star Trek Armada series please Sony.