By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - FF7 Rebirth has reportedly sold half what Remake did in the same timeframe

curl-6 said:

I really don't think a potential Rebirth port would sell poorly on Switch 2.
We've seen third party ports like Hogwarts Legacy or Witcher 3 sell well enough on the current Switch, and the Switch audience is big on JRPGs; Dragon Quest 11 sold more in its first week on Switch in Japan than Rebirth did on PS5, and that's despite the Switch version being two years late.

Assuming the S2 does well.  Don't get me wrong I think the S2 is setup for success but people seem to think it is guaranteed to be a home run out of the gates.  People thought the same with the ps3 based on the ps2.... 

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

We've seen third party ports like Hogwarts Legacy or Witcher 3 sell well enough on the current Switch, and the Switch audience is big on JRPGs; Dragon Quest 11 sold more in its first week on Switch in Japan than Rebirth did on PS5, and that's despite the Switch version being two years late.

Assuming the S2 does well.  Don't get me wrong I think the S2 is setup for success but people seem to think it is guaranteed to be a home run out of the gates.  People thought the same with the ps3 based on the ps2.... 

It's not guaranteed, of course, but it seems more likely to succeed than fail. For the moment at least, I'm gonna be optimistic.

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

Why are you clinging to Dragon's Dogma as if that means anything, it's not even the same team or even a related franchise to Monster Hunter, and DD likely has nothing to do with actual technical capability, it's just a poorly coded game, plain and simple. Don't tell me it's doing anything revolutionary with its CPU usage, it's just optimized poorly probably in part because Capcom didn't give it big enough of a budget (it's a B/C-tier franchise), there's no big mystery going on there. 

The MH Wilds decision has nothing to do with CPUs or GPUs and likely has everything to do with 8 million people on Switch buying MH Rise. That sold way too well for a spin-off, when a spin-off sells as well as any of the other mainline home console versions, well people in the business department start asking questions like "why the fuck is XBox our second console again?". It's clear there's a massive MH fanbase on Switch. For your sake, MH Rise on Switch needed to sell like only 2-2.5 million copies max. It destroyed that and sold like a main line entry as well as World did on PS4. 

I like how you ignore that world looks like a switch game but runs like crap on ps4.

Post some screenshots from World on PS4 and Rise on Switch so we can compare how the former supposedly looks like a Switch game.

Yeah World does NOT look like a Switch game. It's not among the very best looking PS4 games but it's clearly a PS4/XBO title

curl-6 said:

Yeah World does NOT look like a Switch game. It's not among the very best looking PS4 games but it's clearly a PS4/XBO title

World was excellent.  Frankly I stopped reading Soundwave's posts.  He isn't even trying anymore.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

World was excellent.  Frankly I stopped reading Soundwave's posts.  He isn't even trying anymore.

It was actually zeldaring who said World looked like a Switch game.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

It's not guaranteed, of course, but it seems more likely to succeed than fail. For the moment at least, I'm gonna be optimistic.

Fully agreed, there is cause for optimism.  I still think price is the big key for the S2.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

To fair I first played world 1 year ago and only 15 minutes after playing games like gow, Ghosts of tushami, and red dead 2 it looked so dated almost last gen after playing those games. It also felt so janky as well I quickly stopped playing 

curl-6 said:

It would sell alright, especially in the launch window, but they have to then figure out well is Remake part of the package or are they going to sell them seperately ... or?

No Zelda early on in the Switch 2 window (though probably BOTW/TOTK ports) leaves an opening for Square-Enix to move in with one of their underperforming Final Fantasy games. But I'm guessing Elden Ring with all DLC port is also happening and that's going to get a lot of attention (though that might be more like the Switch 1 having Skyrim early on). 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 21 May 2024

zeldaring said:

To fair I first played world 1 year ago and only 15 minutes after playing games like gow, Ghosts of tushami, and red dead 2 it looked so dated almost last gen after playing those games. It also felt so janky as well I quickly stopped playing 

It is janky by design.  Similar to Souls.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED