By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 10, 2024 (Mar 04 - Mar 10)

haxxiy said:
curl-6 said:

Pretty sure when I played through it sidequest dialogue was mostly voiced in FF16, whereas BOTW/TOTK had comparatively very little VA. There's more than two towns/settlements as well, can't rem

TOTK was also basically complete in 5 years, they took a whole year just for QA/polish.

FF16 did the same thing, development was done by the first half of 2022.

To clarify, it depends on what you consider a town. If you're generous you can count a handful more, but by the same standard that still falls way short of TOTK.

Of course, it's not that important since the main point was, regardless of what devs are doing and what is included in the final product, FF games cost way less than the likes of GoW or Spiderman and have more in common with other Japanese games like Zelda, MH, or Resident Evil. No one is going crazy over budget here, their problems lie elsewhere.

Full production on FF16 began in 2016, while TOTK possibly didn't start full production until 2018 as the team was still making BOTW DLC til the end of 2017. So it would seem FF16 still spent more time in the oven.

And TOTK's towns were mostly the same ones from BOTW which would have greatly reduced the amount of work that went into them, they didn't have to be designed or built from scratch.

I have no doubt FF16 was cheaper to make than the likes of Spiderman, I just doubt Zelda costs just as much as it.

Around the Network

As for the cost of TOTK and the profits from its sales, I would not be surprised if the target of 2 million to break even were pretty similar to BOTW. It's just that this time, they decided to make the consumer to pay more for it. And to be frank, the content in this game does really fit the bill of the 70$ pricetag so I wasn't gonna complain.

Need to see what that strategy will be forward when we get their next big titles on the next system. Will they be justifiable for an increased price tag just like TOTK was or will they do it because "industry standard" it now is.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Ocarina of Time sold 7.5 million on the N64, which was one third the end user base of the N64 and then sold 6 million on the 3DS so was certainly a success. Skyward Sword only sold about 4 million and it was released at the end of the Wii"s life cycle so had over 100 million players to sell to. Both Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass both roughly a disappointing 3 million each on the DS. Zelda bounced back with the Switch and who knows where Nintendo will take the series.

While Skyward Sword underperforming is surely true, the talk of having 100 million Wii consoles to sell leaves out a very big piece of the equation. You needed a Wii motion+ accessory to play it. And while they did try to push it with it being integrated in the later Wii motes and some bundles, it was nowhere near accessible to the whole userbase.

Twilight Princess sold 8.85 million between Wii and Gamecube as well, which is more than its contemporary FF13; the series has traded paint with FF as to which is bigger a few times.
There's no question of it now of course; since BOTW, Zelda is a class above.