By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming IPs that you got a late start in and ended up liking and which game got you into them?

Final Fantasy X
Persona 5
Dragon Quest XI

Those three come to mind off the top of my head.

Around the Network

FF13/Mystic Quest didn't throw me off others but I haven't played many JRPGs since. I had probably played others but still or even then if talking turn based RPGs then action ones. Sure I did Blue Dragon a bit, I have Conception or Eternal Sonata but I have mostly gone to Tactics games like Disgaea (my first tactics game series) and Valkyria Chronicles 4, then 1, have dipped into Fire Emblem Fates Birthright or Warriors (I will still give the other entries a go I know better entries exist) and Wargroove.

I am very much a platformer, shooter, racing (sim mostly, had some CTR kart racer period but not much, before branching out to arcade of the car or sci-fi ship ones more over time).

I branched out to hack n slashes with Darksiders 2, like I did Disgaea D2 as my firsts. I had Legend of Spyro New Beginning and Eternal Night/Dawn of the Dragon prior so I knew what to expect (have since rebought Night/Dawn on Wii then the OG Xbox New Beginning or PS3 copy of Dawn I forget what platform I had Night on). I've seen copies of Beginning on OG Xbox but I don't own one anymore so Xbox One compatible it is not or 360 either (which I have both and used back compat on both for certain games like I did PGR 1-4 on 360 and most on Xbox One back compat list).

I have since bought up the whole Darksiders and Disagea series, did God of War (played 2018, wasn't my thing but beat the story), have Bayonetta 1-3/Origins and many other hack n slashes whether be DMC series I have yet to play through but bought all of. Or Conan, Astral Chain, Dante's Inferno and more. DMC/God of War clones or just in general.

Otherwise I started with Kirby on Wii U but am willing to get the Switch or other entries some day.

I got Metroid Dread, Prime Hunters or Super Metroid (Wii U VC) but prior got Federation Force. I get it. I have a soft spot for it I know it's different. I also got Other M. I get it. I have issues with it too but it was ok just awkward.

Bought up Darkness 1 & 2 or many 1 or 2 off shooters from 6th and 7th gen, some notable, some not. Many left behind and stuck on those old platforms. Bought up Medal of Honor and started with Rising Sun and got many others over time of Warfighter, Frontline, Vanguard, got the 2010 one recently and Frontline HD with it. I had I think Heroes 1 & 2 as my first before Rising Sun. Neither turned me away from the other entries. I keep all games with long series 'IF I care to try them out then just 1 or 2 offs and niche titles' as just their own. If I already cared because of the mechanics or the themes/expecting them to be old and learning them for the first time. I don't mind.

Even buying up COD Finest Hour or Big Red One when used to the later titles was an interesting experience. For the gameplay and the way they present situations or the worlds than 4 onwards changing things or later entries changes as well before the well after Ghosts, Black Ops 2, Advanced Warfare, Infinite Warfare how much the campaigns or trying new things died down.

I always had the Zelda DS games physical (no interest in selling them) before getting to the console entries with Wind Waker, Twilight Princess on Wii U (physical of course), Wii U eshop purchase of Skyward Sword and 3DS physical of Ocarina of Time. It's taking me a bit to get used to Ocarina though. Twilight Princess stuck on the Goron Sumo part.

Crackdown 3 as my first Crackdown. I'm into it. I know a lot of people don't like it but I'm still open minded to see how the others are if I find copies.

Army of Two I played and bought the first two.

Quake 4 is still my only Quake experience so far.

Mirror's Edge then Catalyst were fair. I haven't played enough of Catalyst but I got stuck at a QTE in the first game it was fun though.

Buying up Forza Motorsport 6 & 7 to see what I missed was not as exciting as I thought. Now to get Forza Motorsport 1 which I have memories of when I used to own an OG Xbox.

I started with Shenmue 3, I have 1 & 2 and 1 was fair from the few hours I put into it and will try again at some point. They are particular games I wouldn't usually get but like with getting Devilish Brain Training for 3DS or Another Code Recollection I had enough interest in them for how different they are then my normal types I'd buy and not just research.

Splatterhouse reboot was fun and playing 1-3 in it after the chapters that unlock them was worth it. I have beaten DMC reboot while DMC1 & 2 kind of confused me where to go. Which is weird as playing RE1 on PS Classic which I thought I would get confused with I didn't get as lost so I may need to try DMC 1 & 2 again. I have started 5 I haven't 3 & 4 yet.

I started with Headhunter Redemption. I don't think I'm missing much not having played the Dreamcast entry?

I started with Flatout 2 over other entries.

Ninja Gaiden 2 then Yaiba Z and 3 Razor's Edge I got about a week ago. 2 was a challenge I haven't beaten the 2nd level boss. Yaiba has been a fair time for how different it is. 3 I started.

MotoGP I had 3 & 4, jumped to 16 then 8 and 9/10.

WRC I had PSP then jumped to 2, then 4 then 3.

F1 with 11 and 16, used to have Grand Prix Challenge.

Started with Pitfall The Lost Expedition (last console entry before the 2012 mobile game) before the 2600 (even if 1 and Lost Caverns are inside that game as bonuses) or before the PS1/GBA version of Lost Expedition or older ones I researched.

I got F Zero X then GP Legend for the story mode (both on Wii U VC), researched GX. I got them before Redout 1 but got WipEout HD then Pulse then Omega Collection then 2048. It was interesting seeing the differences in the series but I haven't played anything older then Pure. So 1, 2097 and 3 or Fusion never played but want to. F Zero is really well made for what was done with it and what can assume to want in a sequel then just F Zero 99.

Need For Speed I got mostly the circuit ones so Underground Rivals, Shift 2, ProStreet, Shift 1 (really enjoyed over Shift 2 or Project Cars 3 for their design changes), NFS 2. Or getting Road Rash PS1. Got Project Cars 1 and briefly played it. They have their fair ideas and enjoyment to be had.

Assassin's Creed Liberation is probably my AC game I have put not much into. I did play 1 and kind of 2. I don't care for them that much but I have access to the whole series as someone I know has them then dropped off after Syndicate and know another that enjoys the more RPG titles.

Tak I used to own 1 I now only own the racing co-op one Great Juju Challenge. It's fine.

White Knight Chronicles I have started the first game in side the second game as the US version (just lucky to get a hold of in my region with some US games sold over in my country randomly, Spec Ops The Line, Borderlands 1, White Knight Chronicles 2, as weird examples). It's a fair game. Level 5's Dark Cloud or Nino Kuni building being a bit different or more online so that's dead I think but otherwise it's a fair kind of MMO style RPG of it's time that mostly SAO games kind of fit the 'MMO' without being an MMO even if White Knight Chronicles was an MMO just now offline now but still playable like any other RPG without it's online component.

Pikmin 3 was my first on WIi U then 1 on Wii New Play Control then 4 which disappointed me then 2 on Switch collection 1 with physical.

RE 5 & 6 on PS3 just happened to find copies and started a bit of both, besides RE1 PS Classic.

That's just off the top of my head and few looks at my collection briefly not EVERY series I've jumped  to different entries out of order while some just simply the first one or a reboot or played the long running series.

Metal Gear with Metal Gear Solid

FF with FF8.

Zelda with A Link to the Past.

Metroid with Super Metroid.

Persona with Persona 3 Portable

There gotta be more that I'm forgetting.

…all lol?? Two immediately ones would be Zelda (BotW) and Mario (Odyssey).

I started Kingdom Hearts with Chain of Memories. It was hilarious: the main characters were going nuts because they couldn't remember certain characters and places from the first game. And I felt just as frustrated as them, because I obviously didn't remember any of that either xD

Regardless, I ended up loving the series. Until recently at least...

Around the Network

Dragon Quest, as the first one coming out in Europe was VIII, and I immediately loved it.

Final Fantasy counts too, as I only started the series with X

Also Fire Emblem, where I started with the Radiance Dawn. Still my favorite Fire Emblem due to the story and really showing the repercussions of wars.

Dragon Age.
Thought "Meh" just a Neverwinter rip off.

But once I gave Dragon Age: Origins a chance many many years after release I was hooked.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Final Fantasy

My friend growing up played them and said 7 is his favorite game of all time

I played a small amount of 12 when he came over one time.

I finally gave it an honest shot with 7 remake. Got the super edition with a really cool clouds motorcycle figure and all that!

Holy shit I love it! Platinumed that, platinumed 15 cause it was in plus collection, platinumed stranger of paradise, platinumed 16 and it was my GOTY, now playing through the OG 7 before getting to rebirth

It's so freaking awesome

I am Iron Man

I'm not sure if there are many. Generally I start at the first game, and work my way through. Particularly if they began at the NES or later.

Fire Emblem would be the exception, the first game I played was Fire Emblem 4 on SNES, since the game was in Japanese, I had to get a translation guide printed out... it was one of the most sluggish experiences I've ever had with a game, but I loved it.
The other one that comes to mind is Witcher. I've only played Witcher 3, but now its been several times.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Ace combat 4: could never beat it
Ace combat 5: amazing plot really loving it
ace combat 0: glorious prequal
ace combat 6: I am ace combat fan for life now.

BiON!@