By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Warner Bros. to double down on live-services after Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League tanks

Norion said:
curl-6 said:

Okay now you're just sealioning.

I'll take the lack of explanation after being asked three times about it as you not knowing how to explain it then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Norion said:

I'll take the lack of explanation after being asked three times about it as you not knowing how to explain it then.

I apologize for losing my cool there but I really think you're acting poorly here. You stated something and I asked you to explain it since I was unsure what you meant by it. You getting offended by that is ridiculous when that is a completely normal part of conversation and isn't "sealioning".

Last edited by Norion - on 15 March 2024

Norion said:
curl-6 said:

I apologize for losing my cool there but I really think you're acting poorly here. You stated something and I asked you to explain it since I was unsure what you meant by it. You getting offended by that is ridiculous when that is a completely normal part of conversation and isn't "sealioning".

Okay, if you're being genuine here and I've mischaracterized your intent, then that's my bad and I apologize.

My overarching point, best as I can explain, was simply that in most cases (though certainly not all) games don't need cutting edge graphics to sell well if they are otherwise appealing, so while there is a place for games that are stunning to look at, (GTA6 or Sony's flagships for instance) pursuing high end spectacle doesn't seem to be a sustainable path for most devs/publishers these days, with budgets the way they've gotten.

That's all I meant.

curl-6 said:
Norion said:

Okay, if you're being genuine here and I've mischaracterized your intent, then that's my bad and I apologize.

My overarching point, best as I can explain, was simply that in most cases (though certainly not all) games don't need cutting edge graphics to sell well if they are otherwise appealing, so while there is a place for games that are stunning to look at, (GTA6 or Sony's flagships for instance) pursuing high end spectacle doesn't seem to be a sustainable path for most devs/publishers these days, with budgets the way they've gotten.

That's all I meant.

Except spider 2 made a profit.  Ratchet made a profit.  We need to be clear here, the "problem" was those games didn't make enough for investors.  The problem isn't modern games making a profit, money is being made.

The new age investment view is a company needs to be growing NTO and profit margins on an indefinite annual basis.  This has so many negative consequences (short and long term) and is the model that is unsustainable.  

A company that generates a steady profit and grows with inflation is uninteresting to most investors because people want faster money via greed.  Hence stagnant wages, layoffs, cheap products, mtx.  

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

That's all I meant.

Except spider 2 made a profit.  Ratchet made a profit.  We need to be clear here, the "problem" was those games didn't make enough for investors.  The problem isn't modern games making a profit, money is being made.

The new age investment view is a company needs to be growing NTO and profit margins on an indefinite annual basis.  This has so many negative consequences (short and long term) and is the model that is unsustainable.  

A company that generates a steady profit and grows with inflation is uninteresting to most investors because people want faster money via greed.  Hence stagnant wages, layoffs, cheap products, mtx.  

Don't know if we can really call Ratchet "AAA" though, can we? And Spiderman's one of a relative few IPs big enough to guarantee a return of over ten million, a luxury not a lot of franchises can claim.

I agree with the rest though, the notion of "anything but infinite growth is a failure" is insanity.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Don't know if we can really call Ratchet "AAA" though, can we? And Spiderman's one of a relative few IPs big enough to guarantee a return of over ten million, a luxury not a lot of franchises can claim.

I agree with the rest though, the notion of "anything but infinite growth is a failure" is insanity.

Fair point on ratchet and I honestly don't know the figures.  I just know with spider 2 people keep saying it was 300 million to develop via data mining while ignoring the same data said it has a 33% profit margin not including DLC and the inevitable PC release.  We live in an odd world when $100,000,000 in profit is bad.  

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

Fair point on ratchet and I honestly don't know the figures.  I just know with spider 2 people keep saying it was 300 million to develop via data mining while ignoring the same data said it has a 33% profit margin not including DLC and the inevitable PC release.  We live in an odd world when $100,000,000 in profit is bad.  

Yeah Spiderman's definitely done well. AAA spending is fine if you're something like a Sony flagship, COD, GTA, etc where you can reliably bring it huge numbers. It just becomes problematic when you're spending that same amount on a game that might only sell a few million.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Yeah Spiderman's definitely done well. AAA spending is fine if you're something like a Sony flagship, COD, GTA, etc where you can reliably bring it huge numbers. It just becomes problematic when you're spending that same amount on a game that might only sell a few million.

I have no idea how accurate data mining numbers are, but a quick Google search has ratchet's profits north of $60,000,000..  

Basically, imho, sony's rationale is absurd.  They make $150,000,000 million on two games and the conclusion is layoffs.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 15 March 2024

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

It looks and plays like a AAA game....  Supposedly Alan Wake 2 wasn't super expensive either.
It shows theres room for talented game devs to make great looking games without ballooning the budgets.

Also part of why Spiderman is so expensive is because of Disney.
They charge insane amounts for their licenses.

JRPGfan said:
curl-6 said:

It looks and plays like a AAA game....  Supposedly Alan Wake 2 wasn't super expensive either.
It shows theres room for talented game devs to make great looking games without ballooning the budgets.

Also part of why Spiderman is so expensive is because of Disney.
They charge insane amounts for their licenses.

Yeah, Alan Wake 2 wasn't too expensive....  and is a 10 to 20 hour game with little nonsense fluff.....  interesting.