By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 9, 2024 (Feb 26 - Mar 03)

INCITATUSBR said:

hope lessons learned, Square Enix, FF has to be released in multiplatform

It would have required a lot more work to release it on the Switch, and it would' have even charted in the top 30 if released on Xbox in Japan.  It should be on pc though.

Around the Network

I would say it would help if the trilogy released on switch 2

But I hear Sony has secured full exclusion deals for every other platform except pc

Kneetos said:

Famitsu Sales: 11/27/23 – 12/3/23 [Update]
Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince opens at 346,583 retail sales.

Well, this is awkward

Edit: rebirth sold 62% less then remake and 22% less then ff16 (not counting digital)

Doesn't Japan still predominantly purchase games physically rather than digitally? 

Reminds me a little of last year - whenever a medium or large PS5 exclusive launched, most of the time Switch would get a bigger boost than PS5. Didn't quite happen this time, but not far off.

Not a good boost from FF at all. I expected a lot more.

Last edited by Machina - on 07 March 2024

Super Mario RPG remake opened at 301K, almost 40K higher then FF7 Rebirth.
If somebody would have predicted that 1/2 year ago, I would not have believed them.

Super Mario RPG total last reported is 3.14M as per 31 Dec 2023, meaning within 2 months of release. Can FF7 Rebirth beat that?

Edit: I think the pricing on these PS5 titles are hurting especially in Japan. The difference is huge there.

Around the Network

FF is not popular in Japan anymore, DQ is. Seems like a lot of upset fans are in this thread.

Tober said:

If somebody would have predicted that 1/2 year ago, I would not have believed them.

Super Mario RPG total last reported is 3.14M as per 31 Dec 2023, meaning within 2 months of release. Can FF7 Rebirth beat that?

Uhh there's 32.28 million Switch's in Japan and only 5.35 million PS5's.

rapsuperstar31 said:
Tober said:

Uhh there's 32.28 million Switch's in Japan and only 5.35 million PS5's.

For sure, but FF7 Rebirth was supposed to be Sony's tent pole exclusive title this year.

Super Mario RPG was a nice desert after the big boys Tears of the Kingdom and Mario Wonder.

Ps5 just isn't gaining traction. Too pricey? Too big?

Ashadelo said:

Kinda funny seeing the switch numbers up again when so many on this board were expecting it to be way down this year. I hate to say it, but when the numbers are still beating xbox and ps (i know only in Japan) it probably makes Nintendo a little less likely to jump the gun on launching their new system. 

I was a little surprised by the Switch’s impressive numbers for this week (up YoY), especially when considering how Metroid Prime Remaster was launched around this time last year. My speculation is that maybe those who had been holding off for Switch 2 release this year “jumped the gun” and purchased a Switch after hearing about the delay. (Plus the Partner Showcase mixed with a new Pokémon title gave Nintendo probably some good press over in Japan.)