By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Interactive Entertainment to layoff 8% of their workforce, close Sony London Studio

Chrkeller said:

PC day 1 is a great fix. AI could lower development costs. Most of the point with ray tracing is having lighting and reflections being generated by the gpu and not by the developers.

I mean the ps5 has 55 million total sales....  steam has 62 million daily users....  time for Sony to wholly support PC.

That strategy will just lower the incentive for anyone to buy a PS meaning Sony loses out on all those peripherals, memberships, third party software sales, and other stuff they get from the person that now heads to Steam instead

I am Iron Man

Around the Network

Damn, Media Molecule could potentially be next. What a missed opportunity for Dreams not to received a PS5/PC port. 

rapsuperstar31 said:
Chrkeller said:

Big budget titles need to be released day 1 on ps, Xbox and PC. Too expensive otherwise.

If they want to be a normal publicly traded business that needs profit to increase exponentially forever it will happen eventually.  Both Sony and Microsoft have record profits but that isn't enough for the stock holders.

Microsoft's Market cap is over $3 trillion.
Sony? $106~ Billion.

They are in completely different leagues.
Shareholders are very very very very happy with Microsoft.

Microsoft is currently the worlds most valuable company, beating out even Apple for now.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

PotentHerbs said:
Qwark said:

Not sure if Xbox or PlayStation is absolutely necessary, but you can't skip that constant 130 million monthly active Steam userbase.

PlayStation is absolutely necessary lol. That's anywhere from 100M - 150M players who actually buy games.

I like to add that not everybody wants to play PC. I'm sitting in front of one for my job all day. If I go in relax mode and play a game, the last thing I want is crawl behind a PC again.

Tober said:
PotentHerbs said:

PlayStation is absolutely necessary lol. That's anywhere from 100M - 150M players who actually buy games.

I like to add that not everybody wants to play PC. I'm sitting in front of one for my job all day. If I go in relax mode and play a game, the last thing I want is crawl behind a PC again.

I don't like playing on PC. I like physical and I like consoles and sitting in front of the TV. I don't like being in front of a monitor for gaming nor fucking with all the PC settings and getting a controller to work or the right drivers and all that bullshit. I've had steam since 2008 and yet only level 12. How little I play steam.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
Chrkeller said:

PC day 1 is a great fix. AI could lower development costs. Most of the point with ray tracing is having lighting and reflections being generated by the gpu and not by the developers.

I mean the ps5 has 55 million total sales....  steam has 62 million daily users....  time for Sony to wholly support PC.

That strategy will just lower the incentive for anyone to buy a PS meaning Sony loses out on all those peripherals, memberships, third party software sales, and other stuff they get from the person that now heads to Steam instead

I don't agree.  PC is more expensive and requires more knowledge.  I don't think the average console gamer jumps to PC from console.  

And I think many PC gamers aren't interested in consoles.  Now that I've been gaming 120 fps ultra settings on my TV via PC....  I have no interest in consoles.  Happy to buy Sony (or square) games if they hit Steam.  Easy money if Sony wants it.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 27 February 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

shikamaru317 said:

-In the UK, where they are required by law to tell people about the layoffs ahead of time, Sony London Studio will be closed entirely, while Firesprite will see layoffs as well

who?

I had to google the studio.
They do party games "eye-pets" , "singstar", and a few visual novel types (that typically dont review well).
Their output isnt high either.

I'm not super suprised, after learning that.

Playstation is basically one or two fuck-ups away from going in the red. A lot of their studios have been working on a new game for over three or four years and aren't even ready to be announced yet. Mind you this is making a loss even with 45 million PS+ subscribers and collecting a lot of royalties.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

G2ThaUNiT said:

This is a pretty telling statement. $200-$300 million budgets for every major release was not as sustainable as some would lead you to believe. 

They seem pretty set on increasing their output on PC as well. Mobile, we still have yet to see what Sony plans on doing. 

It's sad that it comes down to this. 

Budgets for PS Games have been increasing a lot, especially the licensing ones. But the Insomniac leak gave us a lot of info, it seems that PS first party games make profit and some more.

But 8% of their workforce is something significant tho. 

Qwark said:

Playstation is basically one or two fuck-ups away from going in the red. A lot of their studios have been working on a new game for over three or four years and aren't even ready to be announced yet. Mind you this is making a loss even with 45 million PS+ subscribers and collecting a lot of royalties.

Playstation is actually doing very, very well.

The problem here is a global trend of corporate greed, no matter the human cost.

First it was massive work crunch, now it is massive lay offs, and everyone is doing the exact same everywhere.

The only step Sony still didn't take was throwing the quality of the games down the bucket to reach impossible goals, which most of the other ones are happily doing for years now.

Last week for the first time since it started in 1995 Magic the Gathering will stop being printed in Brazilian Portuguese, with the excuse that the costs are too high, even as Wizards of the Coast are having record breaking profit.

There is nothing to do with doing bad or being close to get in the red, it's simply corporate greed, something very familiar to us here in Brazil since ever.