By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario vs. Donkey Kong Reviews: 77 Metacritic / 78 Opencritic

Tagged games:

RolStoppable said:
Chrkeller said:

Solid game, reviews seem fair. I'm on world 5 and would give it a 7/10. Overpriced for sure, seems like a $20 or at most $30. Very short and small. Fun enough game but shows it's age a bit.

Nah, this isn't some indie trash. The puzzles are fun instead of obnoxious and the amount of content is sufficient for $50. There aren't many cutscenes here, so the ratio of actual gameplay to total gametime is very high, plus there's no filler whatsoever.

Yeah, the game is bigger than I thought initially. Still think it should be like 40 bucks, but its fine for what it is.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Chrkeller said:

Solid game, reviews seem fair. I'm on world 5 and would give it a 7/10. Overpriced for sure, seems like a $20 or at most $30. Very short and small. Fun enough game but shows it's age a bit.

Nah, this isn't some indie trash. The puzzles are fun instead of obnoxious and the amount of content is sufficient for $50. There aren't many cutscenes here, so the ratio of actual gameplay to total gametime is very high, plus there's no filler whatsoever.

Maybe.  I feel $40 is a bit high for a game that can be beaten in a handful of hours with effectively no replay value.

Chrkeller said:
RolStoppable said:

Maybe.  I feel $40 is a bit high for a game that can be beaten in a handful of hours with effectively no replay value.

If you think that this game can be completed in five hours or less, then you have no idea how much there is left.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:
Chrkeller said:

If you think that this game can be completed in five hours or less, then you have no idea how much there is left.

You sure?  Because I'm on world 5 of 8.  And according to How Long to Beat, I should be expecting 5 to 7 hours.  My experience so far, being half way done, aligns.  

Chrkeller said:
RolStoppable said:

You sure?  Because I'm on world 5 of 8.  And according to How Long to Beat, I should be expecting 5 to 7 hours.  My experience so far, being half way done, aligns.  

There are ten worlds, then there are the plus-worlds and 16 pro levels for a total of at least 130 unique levels. World 5 is level 33 to 40.

There's no good reason why you should stop after only world 10. Now whether or not you want to go for gold stars (finish the levels with all three gifts) or gold medals (win in time attack) is a bit of a different question, but skipping the plus-worlds makes no sense.

The faster How Long to Beat times in each category are almost certainly done by someone who had already played the original game, because the levels get a bit longer and more difficult towards world 10.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Chrkeller said:

There are ten worlds, then there are the plus-worlds and 16 pro levels for a total of at least 130 unique levels. World 5 is level 33 to 40.

There's no good reason why you should stop after only world 10. Now whether or not you want to go for gold stars (finish the levels with all three gifts) or gold medals (win in time attack) is a bit of a different question, but skipping the plus-worlds makes no sense.

The faster How Long to Beat times in each category are almost certainly done by someone who had already played the original game, because the levels get a bit longer and more difficult towards world 10.

8 worlds

RolStoppable said:
Chrkeller said:

Fair enough.  Sounds bigger than the originally seems.  Right now it seems to be small.  For some reason I thought it was 8 worlds.  Glad to hear that isn't true. 

KLXVER said:

8 worlds

That's right, actually. I got the numbers mixed up because of the two new worlds and was thinking 8+2 when it should really be 6+2.

So it's 8*8 + 8*7 + 16 + special boss stage(s). At least "at least 130 unique levels" is correct regardless.

So basically like most Mario games really. The normal "story mode" worlds are the shortest part of the experience usually.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909