By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - European January Sales - PS5 Up, XBS Slightly Down, Switch Sharp Decline

JRPGfan said:

Long story short :
PS5 ~53-54m+    XS ~23-24m+   By  december 31, 2023.

PS5 might actually be a tiny bit undertracked, while Xbox could be a few million overtracked here.
Going by the numbers VGChartz has for feb 4th. 

Depending on how well the consoles did in january (like I assume PS5 sales didnt just drop off a cliff, and go to 0),
and that Xbox didn't do millions in january alone.

I wouldn't be putting too much stock on these IR/PR offhand remarks.

I distinctly remember them from the last gen (very common to see threads in Resetera, IGN, etc.) and they always had tracked Xbox sales massively below what VGC had even before the final update here... when we found out it sold even better than VGC had.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
jvmkdg said:

good sales for the ps5, xbox sales are terrible and the switch is already showing its age. I wish they would reveal the numbers for each console

Take 2 IR (investor relations), has come out saying "over 77m" gen 9 consoles sold through as of December 31,2023.
(this means of those 77m+, you gotta split them between the PS5 and the Xbox Series)

Around that time, we got numbers from PS5, being past 50m.
That was around december 9th.

Its resonable to assume, that by the end of the year PS5 probably sold through like ~53-54m units.

That means you can work out how much the xbox series is at, by that time, by subtracting 53-54m from 77m.

You end up around ~23-24m Xbox series consoles by december 31,2023.

This only holds water if you think Take 2, are being honest to people that buy stock / shareholders and invest in them ect.

Long story short :

PS5 might actually be a tiny bit undertracked, while Xbox could be a few million overtracked here.

Depending on how well the consoles did in january (like I assume PS5 sales didnt just drop off a cliff, and go to 0),

Nice catch.

This was part of their earnings report presentation,  So yeah it can be a valid source. 

Just don't see PS5 lower than 53 million by the 31st of December. 

So that leaves about 23 million for xbox.

It isn't too surprising that xbox might be overtracked on here though. 

haxxiy said:
JRPGfan said:

Long story short :

I wouldn't be putting too much stock on these IR/PR offhand remarks.

I distinctly remember them from the last gen (very common to see threads in Resetera, IGN, etc.) and they always had tracked Xbox sales massively below what VGC had even before the final update here... when we found out it sold even better than VGC had.

Hmm.... Take 2, and their consulting firms, could be off target off course.
I just assumed someone as big as Take-two interactive, wouldn't be useing faulty info.
(ei. I assume big game publishers have a pretty good idea, of how many consoles ect are out there)

JRPGfan said:

Hmm.... Take 2, and their consulting firms, could be off target off course.
I just assumed someone as big as Take-two interactive, wouldn't be useing faulty info.
(ei. I assume big game publishers have a pretty good idea, of how many consoles ect are out there)

Well, Take-Two usually quotes IDG for market research, which has access to the same sources VGC numbers are based on these days (Circana, Enterbrain, and GDC, specifically).

Not saying this particular report is inaccurate, just that they tended to get worse as the past generation went by. It mght be related to the original owner of IDG dying and the company being sold to some Chinese enterprise, I don't know.

What were the sales ratio and more exact numbers last year ? So that we can get a closer estimate ourselves on the matter.

So overall it seems the PS5 got better sales this year but to what amount is unknown, while it's difficult to understand what is the magnitude of the Switch sharp decline cuz it could be from 15% to 30% for all that matter.

Though I expect next month to be a bloodbath for all consoles since that's where the PS5 went into overdrive due to it's stock issues finally being cornered.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909