By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 3, 2024 (Jan 15 - Jan 21)

Poor Switch!!

Hope it returns to #1 next week!

Around the Network

Is Yakuza 8 releasing on next update? It's doing really good at Amazon JP, so PS5 could have another good week.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Is Yakuza 8 releasing on next update? It's doing really good at Amazon JP, so PS5 could have another good week.

It's also releasing on PS4 so probably not gonna do much for PS5

It's almost a shame that there are some good PS5 games coming next week because it would have been funny to see Spider-Man 2 at #1 as the lone PS5 game in the entire top 30.

I always said it was a matter of when, not if.

The cliff is dead, long live the cliff.

Around the Network

I am really intrigued to see how PS5 will do once games like Granblue, FFVIIRebirth, and Persona 3 Reload release. Will this propel the PS5 to finally be the console leader in Japan for the year until the Switch 2 arrives? Or will it be a blip that will eventually come back down to Earth?

Kai_Mao said:

I am really intrigued to see how PS5 will do once games like Granblue, FFVIIRebirth, and Persona 3 Reload release. Will this propel the PS5 to finally be the console leader in Japan for the year until the Switch 2 arrives? Or will it be a blip that will eventually come back down to Earth?

Granblue Fantasy sold ~200,000 games on mobile in Japan. So I should expect close to 500,000 games sold in Japan total for GF:Relink. 

The last FFVII release, in 2020 sold ~700,000 game units in its debut in Japan, with ~80,000 PS4 units. And sold about 900,000 game units by the end of May 2020.
The month before the FFVI remake released Japan sold ~70,000 PS4 units. When FFVI remake released, Japan sold ~165,000 PS4 units, a 235% increase. And the month after FFVI remake was released, Japan sold ~29,000 PS4 units, a 81% decline.
With this we can get an idea what will happen in 2024 in Japan for the PS5, we will see something very similar to 2023 Japan for the PS5. In February we should see a 200% increase in console sales, with a 50% decline in PS5 sales.

Persona 3 sold in Japan a total of 383,563 units on Playstation consoles (not including PSP or PS4). PS5 sold 1,305,000 units on Playstation consoles in Japan. We see that the Persona franchise is increasing it's fanbase. So I expect Persona 3 Reload to sell around the 1M mark in Japan on the PS5.

In general games will have a blip effect on the console it releases on. That blip can have further effects depending on the amount of hype and success the blip has.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Hiku said:
Pinkie_pie said:

I don't get PS5 boost. Is it from The last of us 2 remastered?

Tekken 5 released today.
And Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a month away.

Qwark said:
Pinkie_pie said:

I don't get PS5 boost. Is it from The last of us 2 remastered?

Combination of bundles and perhaps anticipation for Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth and Tekken 8

CosmicSex said:
youngbr said:

I know many people say that PS5 doesn't have games for the japanese market, but this speech must end now because there are so many games coming up.
Tekken
Like a Dragon
Persona 3
Granblue
Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth

This line-up is insane. As a fan of japanese games it will be hard to keep up with everything.

For Japanese games yes for sure!  But in general, I can't think of a month ever as stacked as February 2024.  There are so many good games coming out this month that you could make all of your purchases in the next month and having good games to play all year especially for PS5. I'm getting Pacific Drive, Hell Divers, FF7 and Gran Blue.  I'm gonna get Persona 3 and Like a Dragon in a few months. I will get Tekken 7 as well.  I think I'm gonna be set for months.  

Lots of Tekken games releasing these days (5, 7 and 8!)

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Hiku said:

Tekken 5 released today.
And Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is a month away.

Lots of Tekken games releasing these days (5, 7 and 8!)

Same story premise as 8