By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation Game Revenues Leak

If FIFA is making $2.5 billion a year, It has to be the biggest franchise there is, even bigger than GTA or COD

Around the Network
GProgrammer said:

If FIFA is making $2.5 billion a year, It has to be the biggest franchise there is, even bigger than GTA or COD

Quite possible. PlayStation is the biggest FIFA platform by far, it's a lot smaller on PC for example than GTA would be. But yeah the annual releases... The mobile game...

If other FIFA lifetime revenues are close to FIFA 22 I'm not sure what could compete other than perhaps Fortnite.

Google tells me Fortnite made $4.4 billion in 2022.

Something like this could be interesting for Nintendo games. I bet MK8DX is also in the 3 bil+ club when you include the booster pass (though I guess it's tricky to calculate when many of its sales are from holiday bundles over the years). New Horizons and Smash also gotta be 2 bil+ games with their DLC included.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Good work

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Something like this could be interesting for Nintendo games. I bet MK8DX is also in the 3 bil+ club when you include the booster pass (though I guess it's tricky to calculate when many of its sales are from holiday bundles over the years). New Horizons and Smash also gotta be 2 bil+ games with their DLC included.

Bundle sales weren't really that big for MK8D

Games bundles (variety of games) with hardware from Nintendo Financial reports vs MK8D units sold
FY3/2020: 3.40M vs 8.08M
FY3/2021: 3.80M vs 10.62M
FY3/2022: 1.50M vs 9.94M

It's safe to assume MK8D revenue to be around $3.5bn–$4bn with a booster pass. 

Around the Network
LGBTDBZBBQ said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Bundle sales weren't really that big for MK8D

Games bundles (variety of games) with hardware from Nintendo Financial reports vs MK8D units sold
FY3/2020: 3.40M vs 8.08M
FY3/2021: 3.80M vs 10.62M
FY3/2022: 1.50M vs 9.94M

It's safe to assume MK8D revenue to be around $3.5bn–$4bn with a booster pass. 

I'd still assume they're at minimum 20 % of its total sales, particularly since it was their only holiday bundle the first few years. But yea that still leaves it with huge sales on its own.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

This is presumably net revenue, not gross revenue. The majority of MK8 will be physical which will net around $30 per copy on average across all regions, or something in that region.

Last edited by DekutheEvilClown - on 22 January 2024

BasilZero said:
Kyuu said:

Yeah I have it on PC (finished Shadowbringers) and subscribed using the SE website, I imagine it's the same on Playstation for the low numbers to make sense. As Zippy mentioned, the base game is dirt cheap (and free with the exansions iirc) and obviously the expansions aren't included here.

I'm interested in trying out FFXIV (on PC at least) - especially since the first two expansions are free.

Just got too many games I plan to play and dont want to invest time on a MMO lol

I hear you lol, I kept avoiding the game for the same reasons but bought it in the end (you too probably will as you're even more of a Final Fantasy nut than myself :P). Great game once you overlook its PS3 MMO limitations. The gameplay is super enjoyable at times (it's the only MMO that I played more than a minute lol), the story is generally quite good, and the community is nice as well. But it is a bit of a timesink.

Just going to say that Genshin Impact is awesome.
Could be one of the best games out there if it was not a gacha.

Its safe to say more Sony blockbusters will clear 1B+ in revenue with their premium pricing strategy this gen.

God of War Ragnarok and SpiderMan 2 will easily clear a billion in revenue. Destiny 2 could very well have generated 2B+ on all platforms.