By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Palworld has sold over 5 million copies in just 3 days

Vodacixi said:
haxxiy said:

Maybe most people never played Pokémon for the core gameplay loop, just for the critters.

If that was the case, then why go after a copycat with like 10 times less creatures instead of the real thing?

Survival is a really popular genre. Way more than turn-based RPGs. Besides...

Not to mention a huge chunk of Pokés aren't even programmed into the games these days.

Around the Network

People mad about Palworld having creature design similar to Pokémon whereas others of us grew up with the ultimate rivalry of Digimon vs Pokemon

I just checked out the trailer for the first time. I was pretty impressed with what I saw, and then half way through the guns game out. Immediately just looked stupid.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

haxxiy said:
Vodacixi said:

If that was the case, then why go after a copycat with like 10 times less creatures instead of the real thing?

Survival is a really popular genre. Way more than turn-based RPGs. Besides...

Not to mention a huge chunk of Pokés aren't even programmed into the games these days.

There are like 850 Pokémon programmed in S/V, from a pool of 1000~. Palworld has 113 I believe. I don't think is that. 

As for the technical issues, Palworld is in early access and has plenty of bugs and glitches, maybe even more than S/V at launch. I don't think is that either. 

And as for the genre thing... Pokémon, turn based or not, is like the most popular IP in the world. I don't think those who play Pokémon and are somewhat disappointed by the recent games suddenly want to play a survival game with guns... 

Palworld Pokémon plagiarism accusations pile up as CEO responds

This is concerning. These similarities in the models reek of asset theft. Nintendo might have a very real legal basis for calling copyright infringement.

Around the Network

The streaming game of the hour that "parodies" the most popular media franchise on Earth while utilizing gameplay concepts from it's previous games is somehow POPULAR ?!

Color me not surprised... The marketing was the hook ... Streamers and watchers flocked to the bait and now the game rakes the sales from the created phenomenon.

I'm more interested in the longevity of such a thing because it'd be more easy to start the trend than make it last.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:

The streaming game of the hour that "parodies" the most popular media franchise on Earth while utilizing gameplay concepts from it's previous games is somehow POPULAR ?!

Color me not surprised... The marketing was the hook ... Streamers and watchers flocked to the bait and now the game rakes the sales from the created phenomenon.

I'm more interested in the longevity of such a thing because it'd be more easy to start the trend than make it last.

Survival games are insanely popular on PC. Combine that with the creature capturing mechanics of Pokémon was only ever going to equal massive success. 

Player numbers will naturally decline, but with it being a Survival game first and foremost, and on PC, will most likely have a healthy playerbase for a long time. Console, not so sure. 

Vodacixi said:

There are like 850 Pokémon programmed in S/V, from a pool of 1000~. Palworld has 113 I believe. I don't think is that. 

As for the technical issues, Palworld is in early access and has plenty of bugs and glitches, maybe even more than S/V at launch. I don't think is that either. 

And as for the genre thing... Pokémon, turn based or not, is like the most popular IP in the world. I don't think those who play Pokémon and are somewhat disappointed by the recent games suddenly want to play a survival game with guns... 

I wasn't talking about technical issues, just that S/V looks like garbage.

As for the IP, TPC might be a massive licensor, but that's just that, licensing. Game-wise there are several franchises bigger than Pokémon. Fortnite alone made as much money as all Pokémon games combined for instance.

So it's very much plausible that a game including an element that recalls Pokémon (as a brand) but it's not the same thing could meet this much success.

My kids seem to love it. Part Ark, part pokemon, part minecraft and part fortnite. I haven't played it, just going by what they told me. Seems to be a mix of all their favorite games.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

theRepublic said:

I just checked out the trailer for the first time. I was pretty impressed with what I saw, and then half way through the guns game out. Immediately just looked stupid.

So stupid it MIGHT JUST WORK!