By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could the Switch surpass the PS2 in sales?

Shtinamin_ said:
Blazerz said:

A dockable one. Just make a smaller dock and use a cable for docking it, so the system can still be used as a controller.

Honestly, that sounds like a Switch, with just a smaller dock.

I was thinking that a real lite would be more handheld than hybrid, like the Switch Lite.
Here's what I think a real lite would be:
4.2" screen
HD
Non-dockable
Rumble feature
4-6 hour battery
Durable material, and feels durable (unlike the Switch Lite)
Fast reliable charging (Like 30 mins from 0%-100%)
Foldable and retractable cover for the screen as protection
More comfortable grip for ages 5-16 (maybe an optional adult grip version?)
$149.99

Essentially a DS-like Switch. Though I don't know how possible it would be to make all that fit. I can see this selling over 5-12M units.

No, it sounds like what it is meant to be: A fully fledged switch, but smaller and cheaper. It takes very little money to turn the fake lite into that and doing so adds $200 of value to the product. Consumers know that, which is why the fake lite sells so little compared to the real switch.

Around the Network

Now it seems possible that the Nintendo Switch will ship 142 mil until end of fiscal year (March 31, 2024). Nintendo probably will forecast to ship 10 mil Switches for FY2025 (until March 31, 2025). I hope they will be able to ship 11 mil. If both intermediate targets are reached (142 mil + 11 mil), we are at 153 mil shipped until March 31, 2025. If that will be achieved by then, I'm very confident that the Switch will surpass the PS2. If had to, I even would bet my life on the Switch by then.

I thought that the switch could’ve reached the PS2’s mark in about 2-3 years with Switch 2 announced and released this year. However, with the report that Switch 2 is likely Q1 2025, I think the record will be matched a little sooner depending on how Nintendo navigates this potential last year for the Switch.

Come on NINTENDO and bring
last POKÉMON Let's go game
Metroid 4
Donkey Kong Country
Rhythm Heaven

Around the Network
CheddarPlease said:

Glad to see a rumor that matches my “Road to 160M plan”.

I’ll still wait until Nintendo themselves announce something.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

If the successor launches in Q1 2025, then it is definitely possible. Just need price drops and a Nintendo Selects line this year (sooner rather than later, imo).

About possible pricedrops for the Switch. We don't really know how much it cost for Nintendo to make a Switch. We only know that the profit margin on the Switch Lite is the highest and the OLED has the lowest profit margin. This is margin (%) and does not really say anything about profit in $.

Would Nintendo be willing to pricedrop the Switch to such extent that it would not make any profit anymore or even a loss at this stage of the Switch' life? I'm doubtful.

Offering a console at a loss is usually used to capture market share so to sell more games. But the Switch is so widespread already.

I'd love to see a pricedrop simply to see how far the Switch can go and become the #1 selling console, but not sure if Nintendo would care about that.

Tober said:

About possible pricedrops for the Switch. We don't really know how much it cost for Nintendo to make a Switch. We only know that the profit margin on the Switch Lite is the highest and the OLED has the lowest profit margin. This is margin (%) and does not really say anything about profit in $.

Would Nintendo be willing to pricedrop the Switch to such extent that it would not make any profit anymore or even a loss at this stage of the Switch' life? I'm doubtful.

Offering a console at a loss is usually used to capture market share so to sell more games. But the Switch is so widespread already.

I'd love to see a pricedrop simply to see how far the Switch can go and become the #1 selling console, but not sure if Nintendo would care about that.

We know how much a Switch costs to make in 2017. And from there we can assume that margin has either grown or stayed stagnate.

After the release of their successor a price drop makes the most sense. Until then the Switch won't get a price drop.

But let's say that they give the Switch family a price drop before the successor, I would speculate the prices to be $169.99, $269.99, and $329.99 for the Lite, Switch, and OLED respectively.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Shtinamin_ said:
Tober said:

We know how much a Switch costs to make in 2017. And from there we can assume that margin has either grown or stayed stagnate.

After the release of their successor a price drop makes the most sense. Until then the Switch won't get a price drop.

But let's say that they give the Switch family a price drop before the successor, I would speculate the prices to be $169.99, $269.99, and $329.99 for the Lite, Switch, and OLED respectively.

Honestly I think that after the successor drops it's likely that some gen1 Switch models will go away.

There are already 7 standard SKU's (Stock keeping units) of the Switch family:

- Switch Lite 3 different colors.

- Switch 2 different colors

- Switch Oled 2 different colors.

I don't think they keep them all around if the Switch2 comes ( with possibly 2 color variations also). It's logistically not great for retailers.

Possibly they reduce the number of color variations and keep the 3 models. Or they drop 1 model altogether. I assume they stick with the Switch Lite, so then the OG or OLED would need to go. With the Switch2 rumoured to have a LCD screen offered for $400, I could see them drop the OLED. In that way there would still be a natural price difference of $100 - $200 with the Switch2.

Not saying I'm hoping for this, I prefer a pricedrop.