By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best console from 2023

Which console had the best year in 2023?

Nintendo Switch 27 47.37%

PlayStation 5 21 36.84%

Xbox Series X/S 4 7.02%

Steam Deck 4 7.02%

Oculus Quest 3 0 0%

Oculus Quest 2 0 0%

PlayStation VR 2 0 0%

PlayStation Portal 0 0%

Lenovo Legion Go 0 0%

Atari 2600+ 1 1.75%

Total:57
curl-6 said:
Pinkie_pie said:

It's not about portable. If it is then the steam deck and the PlayStation portal are better alternatives for playing Hogwarts. Are you sure the PS5 version only looks prettier? I heard major drawbacks like much longer and more loading screens, downgraded and inconsistent frame rate and not the same open world like the other platforms 

Portability is a big deal for many players, and very few people own a Steam Deck or PS Portal compared to the Switch, so for many folks the Switch version is the most accessible way to play it on the go.

A few extra loading screens and framerate drops don't ruin the game.

Then I'm surprised you played PS5 version considering all these drawbacks are fine with you and that you can even play it on the go. I can't remember the last time I pulled the switch out of the dock. Portable wasn't why I bought the switch 

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:
curl-6 said:

Portability is a big deal for many players, and very few people own a Steam Deck or PS Portal compared to the Switch, so for many folks the Switch version is the most accessible way to play it on the go.

Then I'm surprised you played PS5 version considering all these drawbacks are fine with you and that you can even play it on the go. I can't remember the last time I pulled the switch out of the dock. Portable wasn't why I bought the switch 

My girlfriend picked up the game for PS5 so that's how I first played it; I then double dipped on Switch cos I find these kind of "impossible ports" fascinating.

I don't play my Switch on the go either, but I'm not your typical Switch owner; the system's portability is a big part of its appeal.

Pinkie_pie said:
curl-6 said:
Zippy6 said:

And for the best selling game of the year (hogwarts) it got it very late and with many sacrifices.

Hogwarts on Switch may not be as pretty as the PS5 version of the game, but the PS5 version can't be played portably out of the box.

I've played it on both PS5 and Switch and the Switch version is fine.

It's not about portable. If it is then the steam deck and the PlayStation portal are better alternatives for playing Hogwarts. Are you sure the PS5 version only looks prettier? I heard major drawbacks like much longer and more loading screens, downgraded and inconsistent frame rate and not the same open world like the other platforms 

Yes the Steam Deck and PlayStation Portal are better alternatives for playing Hogwarts Legacy. This is mostly due to the use of internet. Both of those console do not use cartridges, or discs, they stream their game from a server or PS5.
Why are you being sarcastic? (at least that how I see it as).
The PS5 and Xbox Series versions of Hogwarts Legacy are really good, but the PC will always win. Thankfully we are focusing on consoles.
I enjoy loading screens, it gives me time to think, and get my thoughts together on what I am going to do next.
The only time frame rate matters is during a quick time action, FPS and 0fps (or near 0fps). Other than that it does not ruin the game.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Pinkie_pie said:
curl-6 said:

I didn't buy it for portability either. I bought it because I knew they were gonna give me games that were going to satisfy my creativity, and sense of fun. And that they have, even this year.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Switch was on such another level for me in 2023. Zelda, Super Mario and Metroid are my three favorite IPs in gaming so it's hard for anything to compete with that alone before even mentioning Pikmin 4 or the Mario RPG and Advance Wars reboots, as well as Sea of Stars.

Around the Network

I'm giving it to Switch for its incredible exclusives, but the PS5 probably has a more objectively compelling case based on its sales and overall release schedule.

Pinkie_pie said:
curl-6 said:

I played the Series X version and on many occasions I greatly preferred the Switch version. The Switch version will be the way I 100% the game, it's just so much more convenient. Funny enough, some times I preferred the graphic drawbacks like Lower Hogsfield, the outside area near the south entrance to Hogwarts is heavily wooded on the Series X/PS5 version while on the Switch that was heavily dailed back. It was very annoying to be fighting a spider and it disappears behind some bushes or shrubs. The Switch version has many less trees and bushes allowing me to always see what my enemies are doing, don't you think that's what I would prefer? Not saying the other versions are bad or anything but honestly the world being covered in trees sometimes makes it hard to even know where i am when flying even. Obviously the Switch versions poorer visuals was limiting in some areas as well. I would honestly take a mix of the two, maybe I should have tried the PS4/Xbox One versions? Just thought of that lol. Also Steam Deck has a horrendous battery life, the visual enhancements would be nice but the 2 hour battery life is a let down. Switch Oled allows me to play 4 and 1/2 hours, its very convenient. The other consoles dont come close to the convenience.

curl-6 said:
Pinkie_pie said:

My girlfriend picked up the game for PS5 so that's how I first played it; I then double dipped on Switch cos I find these kind of "impossible ports" fascinating.

I don't play my Switch on the go either, but I'm not your typical Switch owner; the system's portability is a big part of its appeal.

Ill jump in here because that's exactly why I played it again on Switch. The Switch version has more loading screens but then again, I can power the console on and off anywhere and pick up and play at the same point at any time along with over 4 and a half hours of battery life. The other consoles don't compare including Steam Deck and its at best 2 and a half hours of battery life. I also sometimes preferred the dailed back graphics because seeing nothing but trees, bushes, and shrubs every where blocking my enemies was very annoying. The very small village (Lower Hogsfield) with the two pink trees by the south entrance of hogwarts looks like a forest around it. Can't see anything, while on Switch there are only like 9 tress lol, I can see everything. Would like some middle ground there really, spiders were escaping my line of site with ease, was pretty annoying. While on Switch, no one could get away or catch me off guard. 

2022: "It's all about 1st party games"
2023: "It's all about 3rd party games"

I just can't keep up anymore.

Voted switch (for its 1st party).
Super Mario Bros. Wonder + Super Mario RPG = win.

PS5 cause that's the year i got one and just to many game to play in beautiful 60fps/40K especially coming from ps4.