By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best console from 2023

Which console had the best year in 2023?

Nintendo Switch 27 47.37%

PlayStation 5 21 36.84%

Xbox Series X/S 4 7.02%

Steam Deck 4 7.02%

Oculus Quest 3 0 0%

Oculus Quest 2 0 0%

PlayStation VR 2 0 0%

PlayStation Portal 0 0%

Lenovo Legion Go 0 0%

Atari 2600+ 1 1.75%

Total:57
Veknoid_Outcast said:
smroadkill15 said:

I feel like a lot of people are voting for what their preferred system is versus what was actually best, objectively speaking. I don't even own a Switch, but I still voted for it. Ps5 was really not any better than Xbox when it came to software, and an argument can be made that Xbox had the better lineup of games, especially if you toss in 3rd party exclusives and the 50 day 1 releases on Game Pass through the year. The voting is basically a popularity contest, but whatever.

Shtinamin_ said:

calm down. why are you putting words in smroadkill15's mouth. that isnt what was said.

This thread is to vote for the best console of 2023.
This is NOT a popularity contest and if you thought it was you are wrong.
People have preferences, and I want to understand why, but when the facts arrive, there is no denying. That doesnt mean a company is garbage, no it just means they had a slump year in their video game career.

If you want it to be about 1st Party games, then you think it is. But we are trying to look at the year as a whole, 1st Party, 3rd Party, exclusives, numbers, better designed console iteration, most active users, most awards, better trailers, etc... Hopefully you get the picture. I dont know why you are so confused about this thread, the title says it all. What was the best? And why?

Videogames preference is subjective and that is why there are the Game Awards, the Japan Game Awards, DICE awards, Game Developers Choice awards, british academy games awards, and why VGChartz is publishing "Best ______ game" articles. Preferences have subjectivity but to determine the best game requires objectivity, the same logic applies to the best console of 2023.

And that's totally fine that Nintendo games aren't your "cup of tea". I personally dont like FPS, most cause I'm bad at them and get wrecked like a noob lol. But I see that there were some highly accredited FPS games, Counter-Strike 2 on Steam Deck, Quake II on all major systems, etc. And I also heard that COD had trouble and wasn't the best of the series.

Ok, so you choose PS5, why? Is the only reason because of the 3rd party games, and the 7 Sony published games. Or were you also viewing that they released the most consoles this year, PS5 Slim, PS5 Slim Digital. or were you looking at the most subscription users. or something else I missed.

I would recommend against trying to chase objectivity. It's simply impossible. You can present objective facts when talking about video game, e.g., units sold, Metacritic scores, subscribers. But you can't say a game or system or developer or even a year is objectively great. You just can't. It all boils down to subjective feelings about what constitutes greatness. Even if you try to apply objective measurements to greatness, you're making a subjective decision by assigning weight to a certain measurement.

why cant you say something is objectively great? What criteria are you comparing it to? Is there bias?

In order to evaluating something purpose & objectivity you should be asking yourself: 
Is there bias or a slant given to the information provided?

If there is no bias then it is objective. Once bias is involved you are using feelings, hence why I was talking about facts have priority over feelings.

If we are still trying to reach an objection, then we need to determine what we are being objective on.
What measurement are we comparing then to determine what was the best console of 2023?

I personally looking at certain categories (for simplicity because we can literally go forever discussing categories), and whoever did better gets a point, and whoever had the most points wins.
I looked at:

• units sold in 2023, and total units
  • # of games with 90+ metacritic score
  • # 1st party games published
  • # of award wins
  • total users, and subscribers
  • # total games (I dont know how to look at # games added per console in 2023 without going super deep, but if we need to we can)

These were the simple categories that I can view without a bias, and determine for myself who had the better year. If there are more categories you want to go over lets go over them together. :)

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Around the Network

This is a popularity contest on this site only.

Ayla said:

This is a popularity contest on this site only.

If that's why you think it is, then I feel sorry for you.

I'm not here for popularity, otherwise I'd be saying kind and soft words.

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Easily the Switch, and it's amazing that this year was this good for the Switch when it's a console on it's 7th year while PS5 & Xbox SX are midway through the generation when we should begin to see them supposed to be at their peak. Switch is still offering the best and most memorable experiences on a system that's around 20 times less powerful than the PS5 & Series X.

Metroid Prime Remastered in Februrary, felt more like a remake by how much the graphics improved and I still think it's the best looking Switch game to date which is crazy to say for something that's just a remaster of a Gamecube game. The game itself is also one of my favorite games of all time.

Zelda TOTK is amazing, Mario Wonder, Mario RPG, all games I enjoyed heavily.

There was also Pikmin 4, Kirby Return To Dreamland Remaster, and more.

Imo 2023 was the best year for Switch since 2017.

Zippy6 said:

I'm struggling to understand this thread. Earlier you said "This is all about preference, and I just want to understand people's preference" But now you're talking about facts being more important than feelings.

"Most of those games were also on Xbox Series and PC, so why does PS5 become #1 with most of the library having the same games with other consoles."

PC isn't a console so not relevant to the question of best console. People are listing these games as a reason they put the PS5 above the Switch not the reason they put it above the Xbox. Xbox isn't going to get many votes because it's the least popular console and the majority in this thread won't have played much Xbox in 2023.

It doesn't matter they're not exclusive to PS5. They're not on Switch so it is valid reason someone might vote for PS5 over Switch. People are just voting for the console they liked playing the most in 2023.

I agree with the the 2nd bold part but disagree with the first. The Steam deck is an option. What is the Steam Deck but a portable PC. I think It is relevant to discus PC but the 2nd point is valid.

Around the Network
Shtinamin_ said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Oh so it's all about which system has the most 1st party games with the highest scores. If that's the case then switch been winning every year. 3rd party should count too doesn't matter if it's multiplatform or not. I don't have Xbox so I can't comment on it but I enjoyed playing PS5 way more than the switch last year so I prefer the PS5. Some of Switch's 1st party games just don't interest me last year and scores are just meaningless to me. How good or bad a videogame is is pure subjective 

calm down. why are you putting words in smroadkill15's mouth. that isnt what was said.

People have preferences, and I want to understand why, but when the facts arrive, there is no denying. That doesnt mean a company is garbage, no it just means they had a slump year in their video game career.

If you want it to be about 1st Party games, then you think it is. But we are trying to look at the year as a whole, 1st Party, 3rd Party, exclusives, numbers, better designed console iteration, most active users, most awards, better trailers, etc... Hopefully you get the picture. I dont know why you are so confused about this thread, the title says it all. What was the best? And why?

Videogames preference is subjective and that is why there are the Game Awards, the Japan Game Awards, DICE awards, Game Developers Choice awards, british academy games awards, and why VGChartz is publishing "Best ______ game" articles. Preferences have subjectivity but to determine the best game requires objectivity, the same logic applies to the best console of 2023.

And that's totally fine that Nintendo games aren't your "cup of tea". I personally dont like FPS, most cause I'm bad at them and get wrecked like a noob lol. But I see that there were some highly accredited FPS games, Counter-Strike 2 on Steam Deck, Quake II on all major systems, etc. And I also heard that COD had trouble and wasn't the best of the series.

Ok, so you choose PS5, why? Is the only reason because of the 3rd party games, and the 7 Sony published games. Or were you also viewing that they released the most consoles this year, PS5 Slim, PS5 Slim Digital. or were you looking at the most subscription users. or something else I missed.

Try reading my previous post again. I only play on PS5 and Switch and PS5 for me had more games I liked and enjoyed more last year. Not all Nintendo's 1st party games interest me. Only played TotK, Mario RPG and Wonder. I enjoyed all of them but there were also more games on PS5 I enjoyed just as much last year. I don't play much 3rd party games on switch. Only one I remember playing last year was cassette beasts. I mainly only play 3rd party games on PS5 because most of them don't come to switch, get delayed or just inferior. I wasn't putting words into his mouth. He didn't play any games on switch. He voted for switch because of that the critic reception. I just find it weird since he played all his games on Xbox 

Pinkie_pie said:

This. Also played assassin's creed mirage, like a dragon gaiden and Hogwarts legacy. I know Hogwarts also came out on the switch but it looks like there were a lot of cuts that take away from the game 

Zippy6 said:

And for the best selling game of the year (hogwarts) it got it very late and with many sacrifices.

Hogwarts on Switch may not be as pretty as the PS5 version of the game, but the PS5 version can't be played portably out of the box.

I've played it on both PS5 and Switch and the Switch port is fine. For those who value gaming on the go, it may actually be the preferable version.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 11 January 2024

curl-6 said:
Pinkie_pie said:

This. Also played assassin's creed mirage, like a dragon gaiden and Hogwarts legacy. I know Hogwarts also came out on the switch but it looks like there were a lot of cuts that take away from the game 

Zippy6 said:

And for the best selling game of the year (hogwarts) it got it very late and with many sacrifices.

Hogwarts on Switch may not be as pretty as the PS5 version of the game, but the PS5 version can't be played portably out of the box.

I've played it on both PS5 and Switch and the Switch version is fine.

It's not about portable. If it is then the steam deck and the PlayStation portal are better alternatives for playing Hogwarts. Are you sure the PS5 version only looks prettier? I heard major drawbacks like much longer and more loading screens, downgraded and inconsistent frame rate and not the same open world like the other platforms 

Pinkie_pie said:
curl-6 said:
Zippy6 said:

I've played it on both PS5 and Switch and the Switch version is fine.

It's not about portable. If it is then the steam deck and the PlayStation portal are better alternatives for playing Hogwarts. Are you sure the PS5 version only looks prettier? I heard major drawbacks like much longer and more loading screens, downgraded and inconsistent frame rate and not the same open world like the other platforms 

Portability is a big deal for many players, and very few people own a Steam Deck or PS Portal compared to the Switch, so for many folks the Switch version is the most accessible way to play it on the go.

A few extra loading screens and framerate drops don't ruin the game.

Pinkie_pie said:
Shtinamin_ said:

Try reading my previous post again. I only play on PS5 and Switch and PS5 for me had more games I liked and enjoyed more last year. Not all Nintendo's 1st party games interest me. Only played TotK, Mario RPG and Wonder. I enjoyed all of them but there were also more games on PS5 I enjoyed just as much last year. I don't play much 3rd party games on switch. Only one I remember playing last year was cassette beasts. I mainly only play 3rd party games on PS5 because most of them don't come to switch, get delayed or just inferior. I wasn't putting words into his mouth. He didn't play any games on switch. He voted for switch because of that the critic reception. I just find it weird since he played all his games on Xbox 

Cool, honestly I dont care what you play on or what anyone plays on. I dont care what games you've played or games you havent played. It does help to see which console did better when you are able to look at all of them with an unbiased opinion.
I'm glad you enjoyed the PS5 this year and got lots of enjoyment in their 1st party and 3rd party. 

What critic reception are you talking about?
One of the reason he voted for it because he said "I think it [the decision to vote for Switch being the being console of 2023] was the best based on 1st party output. I don't need to play those games to see the reception they received. I follow gaming news regularly so I don't think it's weird to consider something I don't play to be objectively the best".
He is a well educated person in the gaming community, and knows when something is good. He can take facts and weigh them without bias (at least that how I understand from his response he gave you).

I think it's awesome that he plays on Xbox, I personally think they have the better subscription plan out of the three major consoles, but I have been out of the loop for subscriptions plans for over a couple years so my opinion might not be accurate.