By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VGChartz Official Game of the Year Awards 2023 - Results Thread

Best Surprise of 2023

The staff and community votes for the winner here were pretty identical: 34.42% and 37.7% respectively. The runner-up was a fair way behind on 18.875% of the combined vote.

Around the Network
Machina said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

If third place is what I think it is then it could have been even closer. I changed my vote on the last day and sorta regretted it later.

Spoiler!
Was it TotK?

Third was:

Spoiler!
Starfield. TotK got 17.50%.

Interesting. Kinda assumed that was fifth since I hadn't heard much talk about it beforehand (the soundtrack that is).

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Most Disappointing Game of 2023

This was the closest we came to a four-way tie: first place got 24.55%, second 22.90%, third 22.80%, and fourth 22.20%.

Most Anticipated Game of 2024

For me this was one of the weaker shortlists for this particular award in many years, but the staff and community alike had a clear favourite for 1st place. It won with 36.38% of the combined vote.

Just the Overall Game of the Year to go now!

While the winner for GotY seems fairly obvious I'm quite curious to how the shortlist and runner up turns out. I feel like the remaining five are actually relatively evenly matched on here

Around the Network

Overall Game of the Year 2023

The final award for the 18th annual VGChartz Game of the Year Awards! Here are the final results in full:

Spoiler!

1st - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 32.485%
2nd - Baldur's Gate III - 20.85%
3rd - Resident Evil 4 - 17.78%
4th - Alan Wake II - 10.77%
5th - Final Fantasy XVI - 9.765%
6th - Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 8.33% < eliminated

Thank you to everyone who took part and voted, and especially to the members of the writing team who wrote up the articles.

Until next year!

Last edited by Machina - on 25 January 2024

Machina said:

Overall Game of the Year 2023

The final award for the 18th annual VGChartz Game of the Year Awards! Here are the final results in full:

Spoiler!

1st - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 32.485%
2nd - Baldur's Gate III - 20.85%
3rd - Resident Evil 4 - 17.78%
4th - Alan Wake II - 10.77%
5th - Final Fantasy XVI - 9.765%
6th - Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 8.33% < eliminated

Thank you to everyone who took part and voted, and especially to the members of the writing team who wrote up the articles.

Until next year!

Thanks for hosting this again, always a nice event.

A spoiler about your spoiler:

Spoiler!

Winner is as expected!

Runner-up also not a shock, but I thought the others might have a chance as well, RE4 did come close.

I'm actually suprised at how low Alan Wake and Wonder placed, but I guess many would-be Mario votes might have gone to Zelda.

Great to see Zelda take the top spot: it was a very strong year, but Tears was really something special. I also liked that Mario Wonder and Hifi Rush won some categories.

Thanks to the staff for running this, as always it's much appreciated.