By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK December sales: PS5 falls but still #1, Switch up 39% from Nov

DonFerrari said:

It is funny that they covered MoM instead of YoY. But seeing Switch and Series doing better in Dec than Nov is quite curious.

Nintendo hardware usually has a much better Dec than Nov. As for Series, I think it had some big discounts after the lackluster Nov.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Suprised to see that console sales seem to have declined a bit since the ps360 days.

"The other console to post year-on-year growth was, interestingly, PS4. Sales of PS4 were up 633% year-on-year. .... "

What the.... hahaha..... well well.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

It is funny that they covered MoM instead of YoY. But seeing Switch and Series doing better in Dec than Nov is quite curious.

Nintendo hardware usually has a much better Dec than Nov. As for Series, I think it had some big discounts after the lackluster Nov.

I'm always with USA BlackFriday on mind expecting Nov being much bigger than UK, but you are right.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

https://twitter.com/chris_dring/status/1744695314513015252?t=dTsicjx75u6r1hbB1lA55A

"Games that didn't make the UK Top 100 include: LEGO 2K Drive (No.104), Metal Gear Solid Collection (No.180), Immortals of Aveum (No.331), Forza Motorsport (No.463). Detective Pikachu Returns, Mario RPG, Pikmin 4... also outside of Top 100 (but missing digital for those)"

Forza Motorsport (No.463).

In the UK, a place where xbox does well(ish) compaired to the rest of the world, where they love cars, and raceing games.
Thats crazy to me.

Forza Motorsports died sales wise (its sales on pc, and console are bad).
At this point, you have to hope gamepass and microtransactions are makeing it profitable.

Compaired with GT7:

"New release Gran Turismo 7 is at No.2, and the PlayStation game did particularly well at physical retail. 45% of its sales were for the boxed version, which made GT7 the best-selling physical game of the month.

Over 73% of Gran Turismo 7's sales were for the PS5 version (with the remainder on PS4)."

Supposedly it was also #13 overall for 2022.

Compaired with Forza Horizon 5:
"Forza Horizon 5 was #6 in November 2021 but wasn't in the top 20 for 2021 as a whole." -super era

So sales are waaaaay down, for this Forza Motorsports, compaired to normal.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 09 January 2024

Around the Network
pikashoe said:

Suprised to see that console sales seem to have declined a bit since the ps360 days.

Switch being at the end of its life and Xbox not carrying its weight are a big factor. Also the overall lack of systems (PSV and 3DS were new devices at the time)

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

I'm always with USA BlackFriday on mind expecting Nov being much bigger than UK, but you are right.

Even in the US, Nintendo typically has stronger Dec, they don’t usually go as aggressive as the others on BF discounts.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Even in the US, Nintendo typically has stronger Dec, they don’t usually go as aggressive as the others on BF discounts.

very true

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Otter said:
pikashoe said:

Switch being at the end of its life and Xbox not carrying its weight are a big factor. Also the overall lack of systems (PSV and 3DS were new devices at the time)

Oops this was meant to be a reply to the post comparing console sales in the UK. The ps3 and 360 sold quite a bit more than the ps4 and xbone. Nintendo consoles are also quite a bit down compared to that era.

14% down YOY for Xbox is somewhat less catastrophic than November suggested; hopefully they're not doomed and can salvage some semblance of health.
Switch down 16.7% YOY is downright amazing for a system in its 7th year, and again better than it seemed would be the case based on last month's sales.

Switch Sports making the monthly top 10 is a pleasant surprise; I assume this is due to them counting bundled software?