By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2010's, Game of the Decade

 

2010's, Game of the Decade

Super Mario Galaxy 2 3 3.75%
 
Dark Souls 10 12.50%
 
Journey 0 0%
 
The Last of Us 14 17.50%
 
DKC: Tropical Freeze 6 7.50%
 
The Witcher 3 6 7.50%
 
Doom (2016) 0 0%
 
Breath of the Wild 39 48.75%
 
Super Smash Bros Ultimate 1 1.25%
 
Resident Evil 2 (Remake) 1 1.25%
 
Total:80

Breath is just the finest game created.



i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Around the Network
Jaicee said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Portal 2 and The Witcher 3 are just about tied as the greatest of the decade and since tragically only the latter is an option I'm voting for that.

Many other amazing titles so here's my top 10 for the decade:

  1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  2. Portal 2
  3. StarCraft II
  4. Persona 5
  5. Doki Doki Literature Club
  6. The Stanley Parable
  7. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  8. Breath of the Wild
  9. God of War (2018)
  10. Skyrim

Edit: By the by are you still gonna do threads for 2020-2023? I'm fairly sure which games would win but they would still be nice to have. Could even do a "Game of the Decade So Far" including the runner ups for each year in the poll.

I like this list. It's pretty original.

Thanks

Yours as well (obviously). Good number of games in it I like



Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Official voting is now over.  The Game of the Decade for the 2010's is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and the runner up is The Last of Us.

Is this result really a surprise?  I think we all knew which game was going to win.  I was personally hoping for Dark Souls to get runner up, and it would be my Game of the Decade, however I understand that people love The Last of Us.



The_Liquid_Laser said:

Official voting is now over.  The Game of the Decade for the 2010's is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and the runner up is The Last of Us.

Is this result really a surprise?  I think we all knew which game was going to win.  I was personally hoping for Dark Souls to get runner up, and it would be my Game of the Decade, however I understand that people love The Last of Us.

no surprise, from what I noticed on this site Nintendo games are favorites in most polls



Mano777 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Official voting is now over.  The Game of the Decade for the 2010's is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and the runner up is The Last of Us.

Is this result really a surprise?  I think we all knew which game was going to win.  I was personally hoping for Dark Souls to get runner up, and it would be my Game of the Decade, however I understand that people love The Last of Us.

no surprise, from what I noticed on this site Nintendo games are favorites in most polls

Breath of the Wild would probably win such a contest on most sites.



Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Mano777 said:

no surprise, from what I noticed on this site Nintendo games are favorites in most polls

Breath of the Wild would probably win such a contest on most sites.

First result in Google

https://navgtr.org/games-of-the-decade-2010-2019-winners/

The winner of Game of the Decade is The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. The game beat fellow nominees God of War, Minecraft, Red Dead Redemption, and The Last of Us.

New intellectual properties accounted for the majority (53.3%, or 32 of 60) of all winners, up 6.8 points from 46.5% in the previous decade. Newer games dominated the winners as well, as only a quarter of the wins (25%, or 15 of 60) went to older games from the first half of the decade.

The games with the most wins for best of the decade in their respective categories are:

06 Cuphead
05 The Last of Us
04 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

03 Super Mario Odyssey
03 Death Stranding
03 Alien: Isolation

02 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
02 Persona 5
02 Marvel’s Spider-Man
02 Borderlands 2

Cuphead (2017) led all other games with 6 victories, winning in the following best of decade categories:

• Animation, Artistic
• Art Direction, Period Influence
• Character Design
• Control Precision
• Original Family Game
• Original Light Mix Score, New IP (a music category)

The Last of Us (2013) won five categories:

• Camera Direction in a Game Engine
• Gameplay Design, New IP
• Direction in a Game Cinema
• Lead Performance in a Drama
• Writing in a Drama

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015) rounded the top three games with wins in four categories:

• Animation, Technical
• Franchise Role Playing Game
• Original Dramatic Score, Franchise
• Game of the Decade

Second hit

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2021/sep/07/the-15-greatest-games-of-the-2010s-ranked

1. Dark Souls
2. Breath of the Wild
3. Minecraft


It depends on who you poll. BotW deserves the win anyway, The last of Us, Dark Souls, TW3 as well, all doing their own part to advance games to new heights.



S.Peelman said:
Mano777 said:

no surprise, from what I noticed on this site Nintendo games are favorites in most polls

Breath of the Wild would probably win such a contest on most sites.

I don't know, dark souls won game of the century for the popular vote at the golden joystick awards, which I think is exaggerated, I would vote for half life 2 for the source engine

Last edited by Mano777 - on 28 December 2023

SvennoJ said:
S.Peelman said:

Breath of the Wild would probably win such a contest on most sites.

(long post)

It depends on who you poll. BotW deserves the win anyway, The last of Us, Dark Souls, TW3 as well, all doing their own part to advance games to new heights.

I remember Metacritic had a Game of the Decade award tracker right at the end of the decade (but I can't find it now) I believe the top 3 was BotW, The Last of Us and The Witcher 3 in that order while the metacritic user vote had the same top 3 but Last of Us at the top. Either way I think BotW and Last of Us are probably about tied as the overall most popular pick



Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

I definitely enjoyed the hell out of Breath of the Wild, but not the more I reflected on it, the more I missed classic Zelda design. I voted for DKC Tropical Freeze as the game is just a masterpiece but I completely understand why Breath of the Wild won.

I enjoyed these annual GOTY threads! I’m gonna miss them lol



In any case. It's not "just because Nintendo fans". The game didn't sell 35M+ for nothing.