Resident Evil 2 (Remake) 20 30.77%

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice 11 16.92%

Untitled Goose Game 3 4.62%

Astral Chain 6 9.23%

Fire Emblem: Three Houses 7 10.77%

Luigi's Mansion 3 5 7.69%

Other (please specify) 9 13.85%

Total:65

The 2019 Game of the Year is Resident Evil 2 (Remake).
The runner up is Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.
The master thread for all of these contests can be found here.

We’ve now reached the year 2019 which is the last Game of the Year thread for this series (although a Game of the Decade thread will follow).  We’ve chosen a Game of the Year for every year starting with 1980 and concluding with this thread.  It’s been a hell of a ride.  Without further ado, here is the list of games for 2019:

Disco Elysium (PC)
This game follows a similar trend of games like Divinity: Original Sin or Pillars of Eternity in being inspired by CRPGs from the 90’s.  However, Disco Elysium puts less emphasis on combat than other recent retro-inspired RPGs and puts more focus on dialogue choices.  The game scored a 91 on Metacritic and has sold over 2.6 million units on Steam alone.

Devil May Cry 5 (PS4/XB1/PC)
Dante is back, and he’s brought a couple of friends.  Devil May Cry 5 has sold over 7.2 million copies.

Outer Wilds (PS4/XB1/PC)
This game, not to be confused with The Outer Worlds, allows you to explore the solar system during its last 22 minutes of existence.  Outer Wilds has sold over 1.7 million copies on Steam alone.

Resident Evil 2 (Remake)
REmake 2 is a reimagining of the story and gameplay of the original 1998 game.  The game scored an 89-93 on Metacritic and sold over 12.6 million copies.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4/XB1/PC)
The makers of Dark Souls take the Souls gameplay in its most actiony version yet.  Sekiro scored an 88-91 on Metacritic and has sold over 10 million units.

Untitled Goose Game (Switch/PS4/XB1/PC/Mac)
Become an asshole goose that trolls a bunch of innocent villagers in this whimsical game from House House.  Untitled Goose Game struck a chord with the gaming community and sold over 1 million copies by the end of 2019.

Astral Chain (Switch)
The lead designer for Nier: Automata also brought us this Switch exclusive.  Astral Chain has sold over 1.3 million copies.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)
Previously, Fire Emblem would sometimes release for handhelds and sometimes for home consoles, but thanks to the Switch, Fire Emblem fans don’t have to worry about their game going to another platform.  This game, with its Harry-Potter-like houses, has sold over 4.1 million copies making it the best-selling Fire Emblem game so far.

Luigi’s Mansion 3 (Switch)
Everyone’s favorite second fiddle gave Switch another 10 million plus seller.  So far Luigi’s Mansion 3 has sold over 12.8 million copies putting it at roughly twice the sales of the second entry.

Other (please specify)
If you think another game deserves to be "Game of the Year" other than one of the 9 listed above, then please vote “Other” and say your game in the comments.  If the "Other" category takes at least 2nd place and no other game gets at least 40% of the vote, then  there will be a runoff vote including the most mentioned game(s) from the comments.

Voting for 2019 Game of the Year will end on Saturday, Dec 23 at 11:59 PM, EST.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 24 December 2023

Around the Network

Link's Awakening is not eligible for voting this year.  However, here are some other notable games from 2019 which you may vote for:

Mario Kart Tour (Mobile)
Shantae and the Seven Sirens (Mobile)
Three Kingdoms Tactics (Mobile)
Amid Evil (PC)
Pilgrims (PC/Mac/Linux/Mobile)
Manifold Garden (PC/Mac/Mobile)
Sunless Skies (PC/Mac/Linux)
Total War: Three Kingdoms (PC/Mac/Linux)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (PS4/XB1/PC)
Control (PS4/XB1/PC)
Gears 5 (XB1/PC)
Kingdom Hearts III (PS4/XB1)
The Outer Worlds (PS4/XB1/PC)
Slay the Spire (Switch/PS4/XB1/PC/Mac/Linux)
Valfaris (Switch/PS4/XB1/PC)
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox (PS4)
Baba Is You (Switch/PC/Mac/Linux)
Cadence of Hyrule (Switch)
Pokemon Sword/Shield (Switch)
Ring Fit Adventure (Switch)
Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch)
Yoshi's Crafted World (Switch)

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 21 December 2023

Resident Evil 2. One of the greatest remakes of all time.

2019 is full of amazing games but my top 2 are

Of course I also LOVED Devil May Cry 5. Enjoyed Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Dragon Quest XI-S. Links Awakening Remake. Travis Strikes Again. Yakuza Kiwami 2. While technically a 2004 game it was the first time released in the west. METAL WOLF CHAOS XD! Medievil Remake. I'm leaving out all the shmup and arcade ports on Switch that year. One of my fave years in gaming. 2017,2019 and 2022 were all amazing to me.

Last edited by Leynos - on 21 December 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

A lot of solid (but not so great overall) games this year. Hard to choose this time.
Other > Gears 5

Around the Network

Definitely Astral Chain with Resident Evil 2 Remake as a strong follow up. My top 5 for the year:

1. Astral Chain
  2. Resident Evil 2 Remake
  3. Disco Elysium
  4. Super Mario Maker 2
  5. Luigi's Mansion 3

Still some games I need to play from this year like Death Stranding and Devil May Cry V. Link's (Re)Awakening would have made the list, but even if I think the QoL changes make it better than the original it's still a bit too safe a remake for me to consider it a fully fledged 2019 game.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

End of the decade and the worst year by far. I can’t believe I’m voting for this and I’m ashamed it was my favourite game that year lol. Minimum wage worker the game;

“Other - Death Stranding”

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Astral Chain. One of the best games Platinum Games has pulled off. The thing I love about it is that it's super unique in pretty much every aspect: from its aesthetics to its music and especially its gameplay. You are essentially controlling two characters at the same time, movement included. At first, it felts super off. But after an hour or so... something made "click". And I started doing crazy combos and enjoying every minute of the game. Soooo good. I hope they make a sequel.

Resi 2 remake.

Shoutout to Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

I was mostly catching up on 2017 and 2018 games this year, but I did play some and my vote has to go to Other: Blasphemous. It's got such a great atmosphere with the gothic architecture and ecclesiastical art.