By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The lack of first party games from sony in 2024

2023 was amazing for Sony via third party. Maybe most of the ps5 is 2nd and 3rd party, but horizon, gow and spider 2. I'm sure Sony will have some good 2024 titles. Just my opinion but in terms of console exclusives Sony is spanking MS.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 13 December 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

Is it really important ? I mean Final Fantasy VII Rebirth gonna be the best game ever if Cloud can date Madame M... so who cares ?

Not sure why others are not concerned. But something is definitely up.

Been saying this for a while now - a lot of PS gamers have bought into the PS ecosystem specifically for games that come from PS Studios. We have almost nothing announced - with Insomniac churning out games almost yearly or bi yearly. Bluepoint, Team Asobi, Bend Studio, Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog have all had major releases 3-4 years ago. Some might say it takes that long to produce a AAA game, which I would agree with but if many of the games coming are sequels I would say the 4 year+ dev cycle is not okay. Regardless we have nothing announced for 2024, so if games are arriving in 2025 that would be a 4-5 year wait between releases. Are we really saying it should take 5 years to make a new Astrobot game???

There could be many reasons for these delays and excessively long dev cycles. Scope creep, multiplayer/live service focus, creative differences with regards to which IP to invest in etc. Either way Sony is clearly doing something right with Insomniac and something wrong with the rest in terms of game development efficiency. At the rate we are going Insomniac alone would have put out Miles Morales, Ratchet and Clank, Spiderman 2 and potentially Wolverine - before Suckerpunch releases Ghost of Tsushima 2. If you don't see anything wrong with that then I don't know what to say.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:

Been saying this for a while now - a lot of PS gamers have bought into the PS ecosystem specifically for games that come from PS Studios. We have almost nothing announced - with Insomniac churning out games almost yearly or bi yearly. Bluepoint, Team Asobi, Bend Studio, Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog have all had major releases 3-4 years ago. Some might say it takes that long to produce a AAA game, which I would agree with but if many of the games coming are sequels I would say the 4 year+ dev cycle is not okay. Regardless we have nothing announced for 2024, so if games are arriving in 2025 that would be a 4-5 year wait between releases. Are we really saying it should take 5 years to make a new Astrobot game???

There could be many reasons for these delays and excessively long dev cycles. Scope creep, multiplayer/live service focus, creative differences with regards to which IP to invest in etc. Either way Sony is clearly doing something right with Insomniac and something wrong with the rest in terms of game development efficiency. At the rate we are going Insomniac alone would have put out Miles Morales, Ratchet and Clank, Spiderman 2 and potentially Wolverine - before Suckerpunch releases Ghost of Tsushima 2. If you don't see anything wrong with that then I don't know what to say.

Do you know that it took just under 5 years to make Super Mario Wonder, and 5 years for Hi-Fi Rush?

Shinobi-san said:

Because a lot of these things are normal. 

Nintendo spent 6 years on Tears of the Kingdom, around 5 years on Super Mario Wonder. 

A lot of that game development time is dedicated towards concepts. You make prototypes, figure out what works and what doesn't. Then you get a large team to make everything and polish it up. 

The biggest reason why Insomniac is able to put out games on a practically yearly basis is because they have multiple directors working on multiple things at a time. They've had small teams working on Wolverine and Spider-Man 2 and probably a few other things, for a while. If it takes 6 years to make a game, it helps immensely to have 3 or more teams working on different games; and rotate your development stuff into the other projects.

Astro's Playroom:

>According to creative director Nicolas Doucet, at least 80 tech demos for the DualSense controller had been designed while working on the game.

Astro’s Playroom — Behind the creation of PlayStation 5’s charm-filled platformer

The Last of Us 1 took 4 years in development, it was developed alongside Uncharted 3. The Last of Us 2 started development in 2014 and came out in 2020. In the middle of that Naughty Dog released Uncharted 4 and Uncharted TLL. Uncharted 4 took about 5 years, and Uncharted TLL took about a year on account of using Uncharted 4's assets so heavily. 

Horizon Zero Dawn started development in 2011 to come out in 2017. Horizon II came out in 2022. 

Look at the Xbox side. Avowed started development in 2018. Fable started development 5 years ago. The most recent Forza game spent 6 years in development. 

Take a look at how long Dragon Age: Dreadwolf has been in development. The "New Mass Effect" game was announced 3 years ago, and it will probably be several more years before it comes out. 

As much as it sucks, it takes 4+ years to plan everything out and try new things. It is the norm in the industry, to the point that ~3 years of development was a big enough deal to be written about in Bloomberg:

Electronic Arts’ New ‘Star Wars’ Sequel Was Made in Record Time

"It is entirely single player, has no microtransactions and was made during a pandemic in roughly three years — half the time it takes to produce many of today’s big games."

The big issue with a number of Sony's studios is that they generally only work on one game at a time.

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 13 December 2023

Around the Network

Means 0 to me. 100% zero.
The PS5 got an INSANE amount of game this year. Why do I care where they came from?

It got a nice mix of more niche games (Octopath, Atelier, TheaterRhythm) but also the big ones (Alan Wake 2, Baldur's gate) etc. It even got PS5 exclusive games (FF16, Spider-man 2) etc.

Games like Redfall aren't suddenly good because they suddenly are only coming to one platform, and Fate Samurai Remnant isn't bad for being on multiple systems.  If Playstation bought Luminous Productions Forespoken wouldn't have suddenly become a "must have game" just because it switched to first party.

A relationship with other companies is important. If you are Nintendo during the 64 age and you mess up that bad - you have to go hard on exclusives.  But if you can navigate those pitfalls and constantly get games from other companies you don't have to worry about your own supply of games so you can spend more time on the quality of them.

Last edited by Bandorr - on 13 December 2023

You are bound to love Earthbound.

Shinobi-san said:

Most of the sequels have already been released though. God of War Ragnarok, SpiderMan 2, Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, Ghost of Tsushima is the only one we're waiting for. 

PixelOpus getting shut down, and Naughty Dog encountering some struggles with their live service endeavors, took a lot out of Sony's 2024 lineup. I'll start getting concerned if 2025 is looking light, but that year is primed for a lot of big releases from PlayStation Studios.

In the end what matters is the amount of game, despite it being 3rd party, 2nd party or first party you get interested in truly. Not everyone gonna attach their tastes to every single first party IP a publisher has.

But if we are to look at this discussion from an only 1st party viewpoint, yes, you could say this year was quite unique in PS history, only churning out a single game, though it got the praise and the sells to back it up.

Next year doesn't look me too much dissimilar, minus the fact I don't expect any of their release to carry the same weight that Spiderman has.
Of course, just like this year, what carried the console hard as usual was the third party content so it isn't a strategy I see changing cuz they basically know they don't have to rush their productions if 3rd party titles are gonna carry them.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

the-pi-guy said:
Shinobi-san said:

Because a lot of these things are normal. 

Nintendo spent 6 years on Tears of the Kingdom, around 5 years on Super Mario Wonder. 

A lot of that game development time is dedicated towards concepts. You make prototypes, figure out what works and what doesn't. Then you get a large team to make everything and polish it up. 

The biggest reason why Insomniac is able to put out games on a practically yearly basis is because they have multiple directors working on multiple things at a time. They've had small teams working on Wolverine and Spider-Man 2 and probably a few other things, for a while. If it takes 6 years to make a game, it helps immensely to have 3 or more teams working on different games; and rotate your development stuff into the other projects.

Astro's Playroom:

>According to creative director Nicolas Doucet, at least 80 tech demos for the DualSense controller had been designed while working on the game.

Astro’s Playroom — Behind the creation of PlayStation 5’s charm-filled platformer

The Last of Us 1 took 4 years in development, it was developed alongside Uncharted 3. The Last of Us 2 started development in 2014 and came out in 2020. In the middle of that Naughty Dog released Uncharted 4 and Uncharted TLL. Uncharted 4 took about 5 years, and Uncharted TLL took about a year on account of using Uncharted 4's assets so heavily. 

Horizon Zero Dawn started development in 2011 to come out in 2017. Horizon II came out in 2022. 

Look at the Xbox side. Avowed started development in 2018. Fable started development 5 years ago. The most recent Forza game spent 6 years in development. 

Take a look at how long Dragon Age: Dreadwolf has been in development. The "New Mass Effect" game was announced 3 years ago, and it will probably be several more years before it comes out. 

As much as it sucks, it takes 4+ years to plan everything out and try new things. It is the norm in the industry, to the point that ~3 years of development was a big enough deal to be written about in Bloomberg:

Electronic Arts’ New ‘Star Wars’ Sequel Was Made in Record Time

"It is entirely single player, has no microtransactions and was made during a pandemic in roughly three years — half the time it takes to produce many of today’s big games."

The big issue with a number of Sony's studios is that they generally only work on one game at a time.

I hear what you saying, and I can fully understand it taking 4-5 years to develop a new IP. I think we need to differentiate between new IP, Sequels and the size and complexity of the game.

If it took 80+ demos to come up with the right format for Astros Playroom - thats perfectly fine and in the case of Astro's Playroom that's a worthy investment as its a perfect game in my eyes. Now that the initial investment has been made - the obvious next step for that team is to build a fully fledged Astro's Playroom based game given the positive reception of the pack in demo. Granted we have no clue what they are building - but if it does turn out that they took 5 years to expand on Astro's Playroom I would say Sony needs to address that efficiency and as a publisher provide further support to bring that time frame down to 3 years especially for the type of game it is - no real cutscenes, or voice overs, story etc.

I think the same applies to Ghosts of Tsushima 2 (again if this actually what Sucker Punch is working on) as a sequel I don't think 5 years is good enough. 

In the next year or two we will know what was in the works and if it was indeed worth the wait.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:

I hear what you saying, and I can fully understand it taking 4-5 years to develop a new IP. I think we need to differentiate between new IP, Sequels and the size and complexity of the game.

I feel like it's more along the lines of 4-6 years for a sequel, and 6-8 years for a new IP.  

Shinobi-san said:

If it took 80+ demos to come up with the right format for Astros Playroom - thats perfectly fine and in the case of Astro's Playroom that's a worthy investment as its a perfect game in my eyes. Now that the initial investment has been made - the obvious next step for that team is to build a fully fledged Astro's Playroom based game given the positive reception of the pack in demo. Granted we have no clue what they are building - but if it does turn out that they took 5 years to expand on Astro's Playroom I would say Sony needs to address that efficiency and as a publisher provide further support to bring that time frame down to 3 years especially for the type of game it is - no real cutscenes, or voice overs, story etc.

Those 80 demos aren't a one time deal. They're still going to make more prototypes for their next game. They're going to make prototypes for levels, gadgets and whatever else, and try to figure out what works and what doesn't. 

Shinobi-san said:

I think the same applies to Ghosts of Tsushima 2 (again if this actually what Sucker Punch is working on) as a sequel I don't think 5 years is good enough. 

In the next year or two we will know what was in the works and if it was indeed worth the wait.

I'm still pretty sure that we'll see a new GoT and Astrobot next year. That'll put both at around 4 years of development.