Metal Gear Solid V 1 1.22%

Ori and the Blind Forest 9 10.98%

Rocket League 1 1.22%

The Witcher 3 20 24.39%

Other (please specify) 12 14.63%

Total:82
UnderwaterFunktown said:
Jaicee said:

Out of these nine years represented, the community's vote remains unchanged in only two cases: 2009 and 2012. Generally Nintendo titles are more heavily represented today and two-thirds of the new victors (assuming The Witcher 3's lead holds) are sequels. No games using female-only lead characters won in either community vote for any of those nine years.

The change in the 2013 GOTY selection I would consider an improvement in taste. Most of the rest I'm not so sure about. Just my opinion.

Interestingly the 2020s is the opposite so far. Last of Us Part II and Dread in 2020-2021, then a custom avatar lead in Elden Ring with the biggest side characters being Melina and Ranni, Link will likely win this year though.

Including custom avatar leads makes Skyrim, Dark Souls and Mass Effect 2 female lead as well (ME especially, since FemShep is, more or less, cannon at this point).

Again, not sure why that matters...

Around the Network
Jaicee said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

I remember Rocket League winning a lot of GOTY categories here on VG Chartz. Curious it has just 1 vote.

A number of the games that won the GOTY vote here on VGC back in the day aren't winning here on these threads. For a comparison...

Original Vote: BioShock
Today: Super Mario Galaxy

Original Vote: LittleBigPlanet
Today: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Original Vote: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Today: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Original Vote: Mass Effect 2
Today: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Original Vote: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Today: Dark Souls

Original Vote: Journey
Today: Journey

Original Vote: Super Mario 3D World
Today: The Last of Us

Original Vote: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Today: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Original Vote: Rocket League
Today: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is in the lead.

Out of these nine years represented, the community's vote remains unchanged in only two cases: 2009 and 2012. Generally Nintendo titles are more heavily represented today and two-thirds of the new victors (assuming The Witcher 3's lead holds) are sequels. No games using female-only lead characters won in either community vote for any of those nine years.

The change in the 2013 GOTY selection I would consider an improvement in taste. Most of the rest I'm not so sure about. Just my opinion.

In Dark Souls you can play as a male decaying corpse or a female decaying corpse.  It's very equal opportunity in that way.

If we solely base this on sales. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt wins

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

I own multiple titles on this list, but only one of them I'm still playing: Splatoon. So it gets my nod.

HoloDust said:

Jaicee said:
No games using female-only lead characters won in either community vote for any of those nine years.

Journey's protagonist could be interpreted however you like (male, female, hermaphrodite like in Left Hand of Darkness, no-sex...) - though I'm not sure why it matters in the first place that no games using female-only lead characters won in either community vote for any of those nine years.

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Jaicee said:

No games using female-only lead characters won in either community vote for any of those nine years.

Interestingly the 2020s is the opposite so far. Last of Us Part II and Dread in 2020-2021, then a custom avatar lead in Elden Ring with the biggest side characters being Melina and Ranni, Link will likely win this year though.

HoloDust said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Including custom avatar leads makes Skyrim, Dark Souls and Mass Effect 2 female lead as well (ME especially, since FemShep is, more or less, cannon at this point).

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Jaicee said:

In Dark Souls you can play as a male decaying corpse or a female decaying corpse.  It's very equal opportunity in that way.

Must've really struck a nerve with that point. It was just an observation.

Anyway, obviously I know these things already, as I listed those games (well, excluding Mass Effect 2; I listed the original for '07) among my own favorites for the corresponding years of release on these threads. There is no need to educate me. I worded the line in question the way I did for a reason.

Why does it matter if games tell stories about girls, women, female characters ("or hermaphrodites" ) rather than just stories about customizable blank slate characters wherein it doesn't matter? First of all, if the shoe were on the other foot, you would never say that. None of you would. But to answer the question more directly, it's because there is inherent value in specificity. Specificity is a door to relatability and empathy. There are experiences in life that only the females or our species have, just as there are those that only guys have. Everyone's stories should be told through this medium as far as I'm concerned because they all matter.

Anyway, to UnderwaterFunktown's point, this is true! And I thought it was interesting that that happened back-to-back here, especially in view of how few GOTY awards Metroid Dread won elsewhere. I remember remarking about that at the time.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 14 December 2023

Around the Network

Dragon Ball Xenoverse for me.

Jaicee said:

(...)

Why does it matter if games tell stories about girls, women, female characters ("or hermaphrodites" ) rather than just stories about customizable blank slate characters wherein it doesn't matter? First of all, if the shoe were on the other foot, you would never say that. None of you would.

(...)

Don't be so sure about that.  I can only speak about my personal taste, but I would actually be much happier if the narrative were removed from most games.  Also, I don't need to control a male character when I play a game.  To me Laura Croft is just as good as Nathan Drake and I don't really care about the story of either one.  Of all the of the GOTY winners for this decade, my favorite is easily Dark Souls, where you can pick the look of your character (including gender) and you don't have to pay attention to the story if you don't want to.

I don't play most video games for the story, and for the games where I do, like Final Fantasy, I see the story as being about the ensemble and not the character I am personally controlling.  If I were controlling Yuna during FFX instead of Tidus, then I would enjoy the game just as much.

Jaicee said:
HoloDust said:

Journey's protagonist could be interpreted however you like (male, female, hermaphrodite like in Left Hand of Darkness, no-sex...) - though I'm not sure why it matters in the first place that no games using female-only lead characters won in either community vote for any of those nine years.

UnderwaterFunktown said:

HoloDust said:

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Must've really struck a nerve with that point. It was just an observation.

Anyway, obviously I know these things already, as I listed those games (well, excluding Mass Effect 2; I listed the original for '07) among my own favorites for the corresponding years of release on these threads. There is no need to educate me. I worded the line in question the way I did for a reason.

Why does it matter if games tell stories about girls, women, female characters ("or hermaphrodites" ) rather than just stories about customizable blank slate characters wherein it doesn't matter? First of all, if the shoe were on the other foot, you would never say that. None of you would. But to answer the question more directly, it's because there is inherent value in specificity. Specificity is a door to relatability and empathy. There are experiences in life that only the females or our species have, just are there are those that only guys have. Everyone's stories should be told through this medium as far as I'm concerned because they all matter.

Anyway, to UnderwaterFunktown's point, this is true! And I thought it was interesting that that happened back-to-back here, especially in view of how few GOTY awards Metroid Dread won elsewhere. I remember remarking about that at the time.

Honestly, still not sure where you're going with this, but personally, who plays the lead in the game is by far the least important thing to me and always was.
I.e., at one point at the time, one of my favourite genres, P&C adventure games, started featuring almost exclusively female leads - I think it started with The Longest Journey as being a smash hit, and then carried on to Syberia, Still Life, Secret Files...again, personally, zero fucks given, and all of those IPs are very dear to me.

In games, I always look at gameplay, then setting, then story. Who I move on the screen is of infinitely small importance for me.

P.S. The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin has actual sentient hermaphrodite species (actually they are neutral, and then once a month become either male or female - I read the book some 35+ years ago, so it's a bit fuzzy).

The 2015 Game of the Year is The Witcher 3 and the runner up is Bloodborne.  The vote was pretty straightforward this year.  Fantasy open worlds seem to have been the biggest thing over the past decade or so with FromSoftware games (and imitators) being the other big movement in gaming.  Putting these two things together, it was only natural that Elden Ring would also be hugely successful.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Don't be so sure about that.  I can only speak about my personal taste, but I would actually be much happier if the narrative were removed from most games.  Also, I don't need to control a male character when I play a game.  To me Laura Croft is just as good as Nathan Drake and I don't really care about the story of either one.  Of all the of the GOTY winners for this decade, my favorite is easily Dark Souls, where you can pick the look of your character (including gender) and you don't have to pay attention to the story if you don't want to.

I don't play most video games for the story, and for the games where I do, like Final Fantasy, I see the story as being about the ensemble and not the character I am personally controlling.  If I were controlling Yuna during FFX instead of Tidus, then I would enjoy the game just as much.

HoloDust said:

Honestly, still not sure where you're going with this, but personally, who plays the lead in the game is by far the least important thing to me and always was.
I.e., at one point at the time, one of my favourite genres, P&C adventure games, started featuring almost exclusively female leads - I think it started with The Longest Journey as being a smash hit, and then carried on to Syberia, Still Life, Secret Files...again, personally, zero fucks given, and all of those IPs are very dear to me.

In games, I always look at gameplay, then setting, then story. Who I move on the screen is of infinitely small importance for me.

P.S. The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin has actual sentient hermaphrodite species (actually they are neutral, and then once a month become either male or female - I read the book some 35+ years ago, so it's a bit fuzzy).

Oh for shit sakes. You know what, I don't have the energy for this today. *Edits* There. The offending line is gone. You win. Be happy.