By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards Thread (2023)

konnichiwa said:

Kind of sad that this was shown basically with each speech, especially when Larian the bigger winner were talking about their co worker who passed away.

but lukcy for Geoff his friend Kojima got 10 minutes sjeez.

Oh yea, I read about that - that was absolutely poor in taste....

And yea they gave so much air time for Kojima, more than he needed.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
konnichiwa said:

Kind of sad that this was shown basically with each speech, especially when Larian the bigger winner were talking about their co worker who passed away.

but lukcy for Geoff his friend Kojima got 10 minutes sjeez.

I blame this on Christopher Judge from last year. Huge fan of his work, especially with Stargate, but the dude had one of the longest, cringest speeches ever made and Geoff had to come down strict this year because of it.

Who cares, let people have their speeches. Sure there's gotta be a limit somewhere but don't draw the line at 30 seconds and definitely don't have a screen showing that loud and clear to everyone.

Dulfite said:
axumblade said:

IGN posted that this Game Awards were about 18% awards and that checks out. They really need to do a Winter Fest and focus more on the awards than everything else. A few trailers are cool to keep the flow but when you are announcing 3 games in a row and then just spitfire award winners, it’s probably not the best formatting. 

The issue with it just being awards, or even mostly, is that isn't what people want anymore. Maybe back in the day, but viewer numbers for award shows have dropped in parallel to an increased politicizing of the platform by winners or other speakers. The less these people have time to speak, the less political they can get, and the less viewers will get offended.

There are others where the politics don't impact them, but they just don't want to watch it. Having dozens of world premiers is probably why 90% of the people watch this. It's just good business sense, even if award show purists don't like it.

And yet they let Kojima, who hasn't been relevant in over a decade, speak on stage longer than all of the awards winners combined. You know, the people who actually are relevant? I highly doubt Swen Vincke wanted to push some kind of "wOkE aGeNdA". And it's because Geoff Keighley fawns over Kojima like a Swiftie backstage at an Eras concert. Keighley wasted the time of Vincke, Aonuma, and every other award winner. 

Why even have the awards at all? 

It's almost like this thing wants to be the new E3, except that it's the Dollar General version of E3.

And really, it comes off more as Keighley stroking his ego and using his sponsors' money so he can squeal over celebrities.

There were a lot of issues even before the show.

• Destiny 2 being nominated for best community support after Bungie fired practically their entire community team.
  • Cyberpunk being nominated for "best ongoing" is questionable.
  • An eSports coach nominated who didn't even coach and asked to be removed (but wasn't).
  • Dave the Diver being in best indie despite not being an indie.

Best ongoing is really the same shit every year as well and barely changes aside from 1-2 at most, it's boring now.

I also don't like that the event is set before the years end, should really be set in January-February time.

Then at the event.

• Winner getting barely 30 seconds to speak before being told to get off stage and have music played over them.
  • Best debut indie got a winners speech but best indie didn't, nor did best fighting, racing or RPG IIRC.
  • Lots of ads as per usual which takes away time from winners speeches.
  • Geoff talking to a puppet for 2 minutes while the GOTY winner gets 30 seconds, Lol.
  • Talking to Kojima for like 6 minutes.
  • Quickfire announcing a bunch of winners like they mean shit, this is typical but it felt more noticeable this year.

This show also feels a bit desperate for validation from external celebrities, I've nothing against Jordan Peele, Matthew McConaughey, Simu Liu, Anthony Mackie, etc. But it feels like even they get more speaking time than the actual winners and I know they're promoting a game or game related show they're in but how about we give more time to those in the actual gaming industry than the outside celebrities? 

There has to be a better balance, and if there isn't, then stop fucking developers around and pick what you want to be, do you want to be Winter Game Fest or an Awards Show?

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
  • Best debut indie got a winners speech but best indie didn't, nor did best fighting, racing or RPG IIRC.
  • Quickfire announcing a bunch of winners like they mean shit, this is typical but it felt more noticeable this year.

Best OST has been getting this treatment for years and it's genuinely painful to see as an aspiring game composer.

mZuzek said:
Ryuu96 said:

Best OST has been getting this treatment for years and it's genuinely painful to see as an aspiring game composer.

And they ironically have a big orchestra blaring the sounds of these OST's so I don't think it would be much asking for more recognition in such category.

Actually, didn't they even had a whole celebratory section when Doom(2016) got the award for best OST of that year ... The fact they downgraded to such a point urgh ...

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Octopath II had the best OST this year.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I know annually it gets lots of complaining, but they keep adding viewers, so why would they change the format?

They just announced it broke a record as the most watched TGA yet, with 118 million views. Geoff will probably interpret this as most people watching are happy with the format.

Dulfite said:

I know annually it gets lots of complaining, but they keep adding viewers, so why would they change the format?

They just announced it broke a record as the most watched TGA yet, with 118 million views. Geoff will probably interpret this as most people watching are happy with the format.

Yes ... Until, people who usually watches 3 agonizing hours realize they can just wait for the game announcements re upload.

There's gonna be a time where people are gonna become apathic, if they want to turn up this show into an total advert.

Despite that, I don't think Geoff will let the totality of the complaints fall under deaf ears. Or ... Hopefully, cuz oh boy these moments of Hollywood glamorization and his love affair with Kojima could honestly take half the time it took and redistribute such time for the award receivers 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909